Found 16th Dec 2016
Earlier this week I woke up to find my number plates unscrewed from my car. I reported it immediately to the police.

Within an hour I got a call back from an officer to say my plates were used in a Fuel Theft at 3am.

I've had to buy a new set of plates to replace the stolen ones so im legally able to drive. What I've been questioning my self is there any body or funding to claim back money on theft of this kind?

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
33 Comments

car insurance.

davewave

car insurance.

I would imagine the policy excess would be considerably higher than the price of new plates.

If you have legal cover with your insurance you should have a vehicle cloning benefit in there. It covers scenarios like this.

you could make a claim on your insurance but even a crime of this magnitude will warrant you to pay 450 pounds excess i bet that and your policy will go up by 300-400 pounds because youve claimed my advice is take the hit

Where were you at 3am?
Edited by: "SuffolkLad222" 16th Dec 2016

Did you screw your new plate on with normal screws? is it easily removable again?

Less than £10 for a pair of number plates in my local car parts. Just remember to bring ID and your V5 with you.

Claiming on your insurance even with zero excess and a NCB is going to stick you with a minimum of a 5% increase on your premiums.

Original Poster

SuffolkLad222

Where were you at 3am?

​I was fast asleep in the land of nod

Original Poster

drtongue

Did you screw your new plate on with normal screws? is it easily … Did you screw your new plate on with normal screws? is it easily removable again?

​I have cherrished played and I used the same screws that were already on the vehicle

john184

Less than £10 for a pair of number plates in my local car parts. Just … Less than £10 for a pair of number plates in my local car parts. Just remember to bring ID and your V5 with you.Claiming on your insurance even with zero excess and a NCB is going to stick you with a minimum of a 5% increase on your premiums.

I bought my plates online, no ID or V5 needed.

Original Poster

Many Thanks for all your comments guys. By sounds of things it's pointless claiming on insurance.

I don't know why garages don't take card payment before filling up.

pricesavvy

​I was fast asleep in the land of nod

Can anyone substantiate that claim?

pricesavvy

What I've been questioning my self is there any body or funding to claim … What I've been questioning my self is there any body or funding to claim back money on theft of this kind?

Common sense is again surprisingly uncommon. It is financially far cheaper to self insure on things like this. Self insure means pay out of your own pocket. Even if you had £0 excess, you wouldn't want to claim, as this flags up as a claim, a theft , and your risk goes up.

Original Poster

airfix

I don't know why garages don't take card payment before filling up.

​Most 24 hour garages do but I believe my local garage use thier discretion and I'm of the understanding it was the wrong decision to make.

I know it was stolen there as I spoke to them couple of days later.

Original Poster

SuffolkLad222

​Yeah my bf and my cats

Invest in something like these.

pricesavvy

​I have cherrished played and I used the same screws that were already on … ​I have cherrished played and I used the same screws that were already on the vehicle

The police around us had a scheme where they would replace those screws with some kind of tamper proof ones for free. May be worth talking to your local crime prevention officer

cuzzy

Invest in something like these.

How do you take them off if you change your car?

airfix

More than likely have to drill them off, but I would rather have do that than have toerags steal my plates.

airfix

why would you need to remove the number plate if you change cars..? unless it's a private plate of course

dataload

why would you need to remove the number plate if you change cars..? … why would you need to remove the number plate if you change cars..? unless it's a private plate of course

You seemed to ask a question and answer it yourself

airfix

You seemed to ask a question and answer it yourself

I presumed you had another reason, as you just said "if you change your car" with no mention of a private plate

dataload

I presumed you had another reason, as you just said "if you change your … I presumed you had another reason, as you just said "if you change your car" with no mention of a private plate

See post #9

Banned

they only cost £25 from dealer's or local places

sofiasar

they only cost £25 from dealer's or local places

and?

airfix

Yes we know you've got a poncy private plate

Peegy

See post #9

post 9 says this

​I have cherrished played and I used the same screws that were already on … ​I have cherrished played and I used the same screws that were already on the vehicle

I don't know what a "cherrished played" means, hence my initial reply

dataload

post 9 says thisI don't know what a "cherrished played" means, hence my … post 9 says thisI don't know what a "cherrished played" means, hence my initial reply

http://replygif.net/i/1025.gif

deeky

Yes we know you've got a poncy private plate

http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p486/FuzzySapiens/The%20Office%20Gifs/smug-david-brent-o.gif

dataload

post 9 says thisI don't know what a "cherrished played" means, hence my … post 9 says thisI don't know what a "cherrished played" means, hence my initial reply

It is a typo. It should have said cherished plate.

SuffolkLad222

I can vouch they were asleep at 3am
I was on my way to get fuel (_;)
Seriously , not worth claiming on your insurance , police have a log and garages have CCTV
They will know what the car was etc regardless of reg plates

You want to claim back the money for new plates? - They are around £10 on ebay, hardly going to break the bank.

Personally I would use adhesive pads, yanking the stronger ones off would make a bit of noise so they would probably go for the easier screw on plate. However it is unlikely to happen again.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. The never ending counting with pictures thread !4594790
    2. Coming up to bonfire night ...810
    3. Any PS4 News Here29313883
    4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769282

See more discussions