Groups

Stolen/Lost sim is going to cost me £450.00

Dropped my phone last Friday in the car and the battery fell out. Was rushing around trying to take the children and their friends out so decided to look later, did not realise my sim card had fallen out as well. Planned to get a new battery when I had time, not realising the sim had dropped on the road as the children had opened the doors.. Had a phone call from my daughter a week later saying she had tried to call me and some girls had answered laughing, phoned vodaphone immediately and they blocked it but not before premium numbers had been called to the value of £450.00. Vodaphone say its my fault, and I suppose it is, but when my bills don't normally go beyond £16.00 per month you'd of thought they might of noticed my sudden addiction for dodgy sights and questioned it. Dare not tell my husband as he will go spare and rightly so. Does anyone know if insurance covers me for this. Feel pretty stupid and not sure if my policy has a clause allowing claims for stupidity.

37 Comments

Banned

Stupidity claims - no

So you didnt realise for a WEEK that you had no sim??

Banned

Dont even think of paying it. As a gesture of goodwill Vodafone wont charge you- they never charge people for this type of thing.
    If they did think of charging you complain, complain complain. The damage you could do to their brand by publicising this is worth more tha 450 quid to them.

any other network may have blocked it sooner...but vodafone no-i wouldnt think you could do anything tbh...

sim wasnt stolen you dropped it

Original Poster

Do not use my phone that much. Put my phone back in my bag and as it had fallen out in the car,would find battery later. Have had a very busy and stressful week and thought this was something I could find later.

Banned

Mascherano;7708015

Dont even think of paying it. As a gesture of goodwill Vodafone wont … Dont even think of paying it. As a gesture of goodwill Vodafone wont charge you- they never charge people for this type of thing.If they did think of charging you complain, complain complain. The damage you could do to their brand by publicising this is worth more tha 450 quid to them.

You are barking up the wrong tree - publicising this will only make the OP look more foolish.

Vodafone wont give a stuff

Original Poster

Mascherano;7708015

Dont even think of paying it. As a gesture of goodwill Vodafone wont … Dont even think of paying it. As a gesture of goodwill Vodafone wont charge you- they never charge people for this type of thing.If they did think of charging you complain, complain complain. The damage you could do to their brand by publicising this is worth more tha 450 quid to them.

Thanks for that. Will speak to them again and see what they come up with. I feel such a fool.

What type of insurance policy do you have? Unfortunately they tend to only cover you if you report the loss of the sim within a reasonably short amount of time. If you want more direct contact with vodafone I recommend trying their eForum at forum.vodafone.co.uk as you may get a more reasonable response there compared to their phone/email customer services as I find the latter are normally a waste of time.

John

Original Poster

Thanks John will give it a go.

Might be a good idea op to put a call limit on your account so you can't go over it mine is set to £50. Also check and see if your house insurance covers.

i think they may look on it that you own kids could have done it.....have you reported it to the police cos i would start there anyway.

Banned

dcx_badass;7708101

Took you a week before you tried to use your phone again?

covered that way up there somewhere ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

jamstaruk1972;7708022

sim wasnt stolen you dropped it

but was then used unlawfully

How do Vodaphone distinguise between those who generally lose their sim or those who "claim" to lose their sim. If they paid out to you then they would have to pay every Joe Bloggs who give their simm cards to their mates to abuse and claim it was stolen a week later. Never trust the phone companies to protect you and stop such things it is not in their interest to do so.

Banned

newbie1001;7708176

How do Vodaphone distinguise between those who generally lose their sim … How do Vodaphone distinguise between those who generally lose their sim or those who "claim" to lose their sim. If they paid out to you then they would have to pay every Joe Bloggs who give their simm cards to their mates to abuse and claim it was stolen a week later. Never trust the phone companies to protect you and stop such things it is not in their interest to do so.

They use their discretion like a normal human being would.
    OP dont worrk about it, you wont have to pay 450 quid- at worst Vodafone will ask you to contribute to the cost.
    You havent done anything wrong, its not unusual to use you phone very infrequently and you have been the victim of a crime.

ouch £450??

dont pay tell them they should of stopped the sim or contacted you to make sure that you did not lose your sim or something.

Are you insured for the phone? i.e do you pay extra for the phone? if so just claim on that.

newbie1001;7708176

How do Vodaphone distinguise between those who generally lose their sim … How do Vodaphone distinguise between those who generally lose their sim or those who "claim" to lose their sim. If they paid out to you then they would have to pay every Joe Bloggs who give their simm cards to their mates to abuse and claim it was stolen a week later. Never trust the phone companies to protect you and stop such things it is not in their interest to do so.

A network can tell (as a rule) if you've given your sim to your mates to use and then claim, its not that hard to tell.

If you lose or have your phone stolen you're liable for all calls made until you report it to the network.

It's not like the network have staff there monitoring your acc for you, they never have or could.

If insured you should have theft cover, you lost the sim so you may think it wasnt stolen, but there is what is called "theft by finding", you have to report it as soon as you become aware which you say you did do, so in theory you should be covered.

steve1221;7708459

It's not like the network have staff there monitoring your acc for you, … It's not like the network have staff there monitoring your acc for you, they never have [COLOR=Blue]or could[/COLOR].

Yes they could, some networks have systems that automatically flag changes from normal behaviour/usage.

Original Poster

Have had some positive news from Vodaphone, they can possibly do a bill shcok which will half the bill as not only is this amount well over my normal usage but as the bottom part of my phone was missing through general wear and parts had been requested but not available (had used tape at the bottom of the phone for months) this should also help my case. Thank you for all your positive help.:thumbsup:

harlzter;7708480

Yes they could, some networks have systems that automatically flag … Yes they could, some networks have systems that automatically flag changes from normal behaviour/usage.

They have indeed but it doesn't monitor all acc's, only some.
    And its done for security or fraud purposes. The network don't police your acc for you.

Original Poster

harlzter;7708465

If insured you should have theft cover, you lost the sim so you may think … If insured you should have theft cover, you lost the sim so you may think it wasnt stolen, but there is what is called "theft by finding", you have to report it as soon as you become aware which you say you did do, so in theory you should be covered.

Phones were not insured at the time but from here on will be. Small price to pay, £3.50 for the peace of mind. Not sure about the house/business ins though, will check on Monday when offices are open again. Thanks

Original Poster

dimebars;7708035

You are barking up the wrong tree - publicising this will only make the … You are barking up the wrong tree - publicising this will only make the OP look more foolish.Vodafone wont give a stuff

Thank you dimebars, the op could not feel more foolish.

Borat;7708092

Might be a good idea op to put a call limit on your account so you can't … Might be a good idea op to put a call limit on your account so you can't go over it mine is set to £50. Also check and see if your house insurance covers.

+1 on that......maybe she's to busy though!!

renagade27

steve1221;7708459

A network can tell (as a rule) if you've given your sim to your mates to … A network can tell (as a rule) if you've given your sim to your mates to use and then claim, its not that hard to tell.If you lose or have your phone stolen you're liable for all calls made until you report it to the network.It's not like the network have staff there monitoring your acc for you, they never have or could.

If i went away on holiday, and my car was stolen, and i didn't know, and they went and got loads of petrol and then drove off, would i be liable for the petrol costs until i reported it stolen?

Do you remember asking Vodafone for 'premium numbers barring'? You can do this on their website. What to do is try 'reverse psychology'...."i never asked for premium rate numbers or roaming to be included in the first place". Any angle is worth a try....bad publicity will do Voda more harm than writing off "irregular activity" which should have lit up on their radar anyway! Good luck. (p.s. my daughter has just had her N97 mobile stolen from her handbag :x so we had an immediate Voda panic too....luckily it was the phone they wanted, not the premium calls).

peodude;7708673

If i went away on holiday, and my car was stolen, and i didn't know, and … If i went away on holiday, and my car was stolen, and i didn't know, and they went and got loads of petrol and then drove off, would i be liable for the petrol costs until i reported it stolen?

Thats different though, she didnt go on holiday, she didnt get her sim card stolen.

She dropped it, someone found it.

If she went on holiday, someone broke into her house and used it, then it would be the same.

you really are a rotten lot. I think its more than obvious reading her OP that she feels so foolish and knows its her fault. She is just clutching at straws to see if there is a way out of paying this which obviously doesnt look like it - but was worth a try

the__mayster;7708706

Thats different though, she didnt go on holiday, she didnt get her sim … Thats different though, she didnt go on holiday, she didnt get her sim card stolen.She dropped it, someone found it.If she went on holiday, someone broke into her house and used it, then it would be the same.

....theft by finding???

the__mayster;7708706

She dropped it, someone found it.

The law does not allow "finders keepers" It says on the SIM, "if found please report to Vodafone"

Asking them will never hurt anyone

Banned

Mascherano;7708015

You are sadly probably right, and vodafone will put my bills up to compensate for the idiots they offer "good will" to.

Unbelievable thread.

I wouldn't pay it, put what happened in writing see the response you get from vodaphone worth a go but either way i wouldn't pay the bill

vibeone;7709671

You are sadly probably right, and vodafone will put my bills up to … You are sadly probably right, and vodafone will put my bills up to compensate for the idiots they offer "good will" to.Unbelievable thread.

Depends on the cost to Vodaphone, it might be very low.

Banned

pghstochaj;7709806

Depends on the cost to Vodaphone, it might be very low.

Maybe so, but although this thread details an extreme level of stupidity, I'm sure there are plenty of others who do similar ridiculous things.

this is why its important to put a pin code on your sim :thumbsup:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Are these two things distinctly different to you?1313
      2. Supermarket may have sold Sausages & Other Pork products may have been inf…1431
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764389
      4. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846241

See more discussions