Stop Dog Barking Collar (Non Shock)

Posted 4th Jan
Does anyone have one, or have used them in the past to stop the dog barking unnecessarily in the garden?
(Vibrate) method
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
psychedelicrenegade04/01/2020 11:00

Let your dog bark, it's their voice and a method of communication.Why do …Let your dog bark, it's their voice and a method of communication.Why do you want to curtail the barking? Is it for yourself or to appease neighbours.Our dog is out in the garden as often as possible and she barks at birds, cats, other dogs, humans, deer, foxes and whatever else is making noise or coming into her territory. Most of the time she is just curious to outside noise.

You sound like our neighbours. Dogs go out and bark like mad around 23.00. And 07.00. And all manner of times in between, especially when they have to go out and it wouldn't be fair on the dogs to leave them inside.

We love our neighbours. Such kind, caring, sharing people who think about others more than themselves
Barking collars can physically and psychologically damage your dog and a lot of the time actually make your dog a lot worse in the long run.
If you google 'how to get my dog to stop barking in garden' there are more than a few suggestions that do not have the torment of a barking collar.
But involve you actually training them not to do it but that's part of the responsibility of having a pet.
Can you imagine having something around your neck so that every time you spoke it done something to you? It's cruel.

Dogs don't bark 'unnecessarily'.
Edited by: "Cloeeez" 4th Jan
pabz04/01/2020 14:20

My neighbor has a German shepherd and never allows it in the house so it …My neighbor has a German shepherd and never allows it in the house so it stays in the garden all day . The barking drives me crazy as it will bark for hours on end in the night . I have told them politely many times but still have to endure the nightmare of living next to a barking dog . They are such lovely neighbours otherwise . I’m at my wits end as to what to do with living next to this barking dog . They just keep the dog in the garden all day and all night and I feel sorry for it because it’s rarely taken out for a walk .

Report them to the RSPCA possible animal neglect. Sound like the poor dog needs a good walk and someone that cares.
Please God I never end up next door to neighbour's who think it's acceptable to let their dogs bark as and when they choose to. Must be hell.
33 Comments
Everytime it barks just bring it back inside and put it to bed. They usually soon learn not to bark.
We used to have a Bichon and had a collar that let out a high pitch sound when she barked. The noise just made her bark more, not sure about the vibration one but the high pitch sound one was complete rubbish lol
Collar
Barking collars can physically and psychologically damage your dog and a lot of the time actually make your dog a lot worse in the long run.
If you google 'how to get my dog to stop barking in garden' there are more than a few suggestions that do not have the torment of a barking collar.
But involve you actually training them not to do it but that's part of the responsibility of having a pet.
Can you imagine having something around your neck so that every time you spoke it done something to you? It's cruel.

Dogs don't bark 'unnecessarily'.
Edited by: "Cloeeez" 4th Jan
A collar to stop a dog barking is not the answer.
Why is your dog barking? Is it because they are protecting their territory from neighbours? Postman? Or is because the dog is probably bored or lonely; separation anxiety. Try long walks or a few a day if possible. If you can’t give the dog the time he/she needs the kindest thing would be to re-home to someone that can.
Let your dog bark, it's their voice and a method of communication.

Why do you want to curtail the barking? Is it for yourself or to appease neighbours.

Our dog is out in the garden as often as possible and she barks at birds, cats, other dogs, humans, deer, foxes and whatever else is making noise or coming into her territory. Most of the time she is just curious to outside noise.
Cloeeez04/01/2020 10:28

Barking collars can physically and psychologically damage your dog and a …Barking collars can physically and psychologically damage your dog and a lot of the time actually make your dog a lot worse in the long run. If you google 'how to get my dog to stop barking in garden' there are more than a few suggestions that do not have the torment of a barking collar.But involve you actually training them not to do it but that's part of the responsibility of having a pet.Can you imagine having something around your neck so that every time you spoke it done something to you? It's cruel.Dogs don't bark 'unnecessarily'.

I could not have put it better myself. Take time to train and spend time playing and learning with your dog. He/she might need more stimulation.. definitely avoid a collar it's not humane and should not even be sold really..
psychedelicrenegade04/01/2020 11:00

Let your dog bark, it's their voice and a method of communication.Why do …Let your dog bark, it's their voice and a method of communication.Why do you want to curtail the barking? Is it for yourself or to appease neighbours.Our dog is out in the garden as often as possible and she barks at birds, cats, other dogs, humans, deer, foxes and whatever else is making noise or coming into her territory. Most of the time she is just curious to outside noise.

You sound like our neighbours. Dogs go out and bark like mad around 23.00. And 07.00. And all manner of times in between, especially when they have to go out and it wouldn't be fair on the dogs to leave them inside.

We love our neighbours. Such kind, caring, sharing people who think about others more than themselves
Shock collars. Nope. Most definitely not my preferred method. Even after seeing the results when visiting friends. He used it to train a dog to respond to the whistle and it does so beautifully. Can be 200 yards away and it will drop to the ground instantly. The dog leads a very, very happy life. But no. That's not how I will ever train a dog.

Humane training and affection sorts many ordinary behavioural problems but few people have the inclination or time to stick at it (and that nugget applies not just to animals). But I do wonder if a collar would work on our lovely neighbours.................
Edited by: "ccnp" 4th Jan
ccnp04/01/2020 11:09

You sound like our neighbours. Dogs go out and bark like mad around …You sound like our neighbours. Dogs go out and bark like mad around 23.00. And 07.00. And all manner of times in between, especially when they have to go out and it wouldn't be fair on the dogs to leave them inside.We love our neighbours. Such kind, caring, sharing people who think about others more than themselves

Our dog isn't out in the early morning or late at night and doesn't cause any grief to our neighbours. We let our dog out for fresh air, exercise and a bit of sun bathing when the weather is good enough where we live.

We are considerate neighbours and I don't see the problem letting the dog out to do what comes naturally to it.
psychedelicrenegade04/01/2020 11:21

Our dog isn't out in the early morning or late at night and doesn't cause …Our dog isn't out in the early morning or late at night and doesn't cause any grief to our neighbours. We let our dog out for fresh air, exercise and a bit of sun bathing when the weather is good enough where we live.We are considerate neighbours and I don't see the problem letting the dog out to do what comes naturally to it.

In agreement with what you said. Some dogs have the need to bark more than others it's all down to individual personality of the dog and they defnitely should be allowed to bark..maybe not all day long but just let them be dogs for goodness sake
Please God I never end up next door to neighbour's who think it's acceptable to let their dogs bark as and when they choose to. Must be hell.
coolhandan04/01/2020 14:02

Please God I never end up next door to neighbour's who think it's …Please God I never end up next door to neighbour's who think it's acceptable to let their dogs bark as and when they choose to. Must be hell.

Do you even have a dog.. if not why you snooping on this thread..
There is no such thing as a dog who only barks when you want them to, don’t even comment on this thread if you having nothing useful to say
Arto04/01/2020 14:12

There is no such thing as a dog who only barks when you want them to, …There is no such thing as a dog who only barks when you want them to, don’t even comment on this thread if you having nothing useful to say

Who said that?
Alexandralocks04/01/2020 14:10

Do you even have a dog.. if not why you snooping on this thread.. …Do you even have a dog.. if not why you snooping on this thread..

A german shepherd.
My neighbor has a German shepherd and never allows it in the house so it stays in the garden all day . The barking drives me crazy as it will bark for hours on end in the night . I have told them politely many times but still have to endure the nightmare of living next to a barking dog . They are such lovely neighbours otherwise . I’m at my wits end as to what to do with living next to this barking dog . They just keep the dog in the garden all day and all night and I feel sorry for it because it’s rarely taken out for a walk .
pabz04/01/2020 14:20

My neighbor has a German shepherd and never allows it in the house so it …My neighbor has a German shepherd and never allows it in the house so it stays in the garden all day . The barking drives me crazy as it will bark for hours on end in the night . I have told them politely many times but still have to endure the nightmare of living next to a barking dog . They are such lovely neighbours otherwise . I’m at my wits end as to what to do with living next to this barking dog . They just keep the dog in the garden all day and all night and I feel sorry for it because it’s rarely taken out for a walk .

Report them to the RSPCA possible animal neglect. Sound like the poor dog needs a good walk and someone that cares.
Collars cause distress. You need to train the dog. Example at home and they bark at the postman, command no and when they stop treat. Behaviour control is down to training. Dogs are quick to learn it’s the owners that need to be patient and put the time in
DexterMorganxxxx04/01/2020 15:20

Report them to the RSPCA possible animal neglect. Sound like the poor dog …Report them to the RSPCA possible animal neglect. Sound like the poor dog needs a good walk and someone that cares.

They won't do anything in my experience. My mum had a neighbour with a dog that was kept outside for years,throughout harsh winters etc. A small wooden kennel and a blanket. The dog would pull the blanket outside the kennel & would get wet through in the rain & have nothing to sleep on.
The neighbour was reported and the RSPCA came out but as the dog had drinking water & food,they would do nothing about it.
Heartbreaking.The poor soul had no quality of life.Never taken for a walk,never shown any affection.
koppyking04/01/2020 17:40

They won't do anything in my experience. My mum had a neighbour with a dog …They won't do anything in my experience. My mum had a neighbour with a dog that was kept outside for years,throughout harsh winters etc. A small wooden kennel and a blanket. The dog would pull the blanket outside the kennel & would get wet through in the rain & have nothing to sleep on.The neighbour was reported and the RSPCA came out but as the dog had drinking water & food,they would do nothing about it.Heartbreaking.The poor soul had no quality of life.Never taken for a walk,never shown any affection.

Same with our neighbours dog . Only has a kennel and pot of water , no blanket . Such a neglected dog . Stays in garden day and night .
pabz04/01/2020 17:46

Same with our neighbours dog . Only has a kennel and pot of water , no …Same with our neighbours dog . Only has a kennel and pot of water , no blanket . Such a neglected dog . Stays in garden day and night .

I hate that, I have 2 dogs and they are always asleep on the chair next to me or on me and I always walking them 3 times a day minimum
pabz04/01/2020 17:46

Same with our neighbours dog . Only has a kennel and pot of water , no …Same with our neighbours dog . Only has a kennel and pot of water , no blanket . Such a neglected dog . Stays in garden day and night .

Should be put down. Then the dog can have the house
Arto04/01/2020 17:55

I hate that, I have 2 dogs and they are always asleep on the chair next to …I hate that, I have 2 dogs and they are always asleep on the chair next to me or on me and I always walking them 3 times a day minimum

Hang on, you were moaning at me earlier for saying it wasnt good to leave dogs barking as and when they want. Make your mind up?
coolhandan04/01/2020 18:44

Hang on, you were moaning at me earlier for saying it wasnt good to leave …Hang on, you were moaning at me earlier for saying it wasnt good to leave dogs barking as and when they want. Make your mind up?

When did I say that I leave my dogs to bark? Can you read?
Arto04/01/2020 18:55

When did I say that I leave my dogs to bark? Can you read?

I can yes. Maybe you can't. You told me earlier to get lost because I said dogs shouldn't be allowed to bark as and when they choose.
coolhandan04/01/2020 19:43

I can yes. Maybe you can't. You told me earlier to get lost because I said …I can yes. Maybe you can't. You told me earlier to get lost because I said dogs shouldn't be allowed to bark as and when they choose.

I didn’t say when they choose I said she the owners choose
Arto04/01/2020 19:45

I didn’t say when they choose I said she the owners choose

Who's she?
The old yeller approach works a treat.
Dogs > Humans

Not that I'm a behavioural expert, but I'm sure the likes of Cesar Milan would say it's an anxiety issue, or an excess of energy (ie, not having enough exercise/exploring his territory as a dog should).

People always look for quick fixes, but they give us so much, we owe it to them to do the best we can for them in return.
Why people have dogs when they don't have the time needed to give to them I'll never know.

I can only imagine it must be a nightmare for the OP.
Arto04/01/2020 14:12

There is no such thing as a dog who only barks when you want them to, …There is no such thing as a dog who only barks when you want them to, don’t even comment on this thread if you having nothing useful to say

You can however train your dog not to bark when it's inappropriate or unnecessary. Makes for a happier dog, house and neighbours.

My dog only barks when someone is at the door or there are weird noises outside.

I would not dream of letting my dog bark outside when I have neighbours who may be sleeping, resting etc as you don't know if they're on night shifts etc. and everyone's day/sleep patterns are different.

Equally so I think cockerels and peacocks should be outlawed if you have neighbours within a mile of your house as they are as tedious as barking dogs, if not more so.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions