Stop google search knowing my location on windows

Found 13th Feb
I can't seem to stop google search engine being able to identify where I am located when I use my windows laptop to search.

I have gone into my google account and also the windows task bar menu and turned off location but this doesn't seem to have any effect on the google search engine on my laptop.

Anyone know how I can block the google search engine from knowing where I am on my windows 10 laptop?
Community Updates
Ask
10 Comments
VPN or proxy will disguise location by IP address.
But why would you want it to block your location, how much use is that information anyhow? Personally I prefer it knowing I'm in UK and not bring up the incorrect version of a website or shopping suggestions that are off zero use. Cinema listing for where is close to me, not having to navigate through pages of useless information. Websites to calculate shipping costs to me, not to somewhere else or mainland England etc, without having to key in my address details before you notice they charge some stupid amount.
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 13th Feb
cecilmcroberts54 m ago

But why would you want it to block your location, how much use is that …But why would you want it to block your location, how much use is that information anyhow? Personally I prefer it knowing I'm in UK and not bring up the incorrect version of a website or shopping suggestions that are off zero use. Cinema listing for where is close to me, not having to navigate through pages of useless information. Websites to calculate shipping costs to me, not to somewhere else or mainland England etc, without having to key in my address details before you notice they charge some stupid amount.

I know google pretty much know everything i do as we live in the world of big brother, but it is unnerving when i see my location displayed on my laptop.

i am searching for routes in spain but the blooming google search keep thinking i am starting from my home in the uk, so i have to keep typing spain after santander as it assumes that i want to start from home and it is really annoying
Try putting _nomap at the end of your WiFi Broadcast Name, Google should respect it.
What browser?
rev639 m ago

What browser?

Chrome
mutley17 h, 9 m ago

Chrome

Settings > Advanced > Content Settings > Location
Edited by: "Illusionary" 14th Feb
Use DuckDuckgo instead.
Illusionary9 h, 53 m ago

Settings > Advanced > Content Settings > Location

i have now set this to blocked but google search still know my location. i think it is only to block other websites from accessing my location, not google itself.

i guess google gets my location from my ISP.
mutley113th Feb

I know google pretty much know everything i do as we live in the world of …I know google pretty much know everything i do as we live in the world of big brother, but it is unnerving when i see my location displayed on my laptop.

Diddums. Stay off the internet then. Simples.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants