Storage Heaters are the worst ever !!!!

18 replies
Found 12th Feb 2009
Does anyone have these heaters? they suck the money from the box like no end!!

I dont really understand it tho, whats the Boost output and what is the input, both dials go up to 9, does anyone have any ideas on what the settings shoulc be at etc?

Im thinking of asking the landlady if she can have Gas central heating installed, and she can put the rent up for it lol

Ok ill mention what we have,
Kitchen has an electric panel heater on the wall which has a timer or manual switch!
Bedroom 1 " "
Bedroom 2 " "
Living room has the big storage heater and we had the settings: Input was 7 and the output was 5...
Bathroom storage small heater doesnt have a dial and is on all the time thru the day!
Lobby isnt on just now coz the element inside was pinched to fix the bathroom radiator lol
The panels in the kitchen and bedrooms are not on just now, altho the meter goes down like £2.00 at night, so thats 28 days (about that in a month) x £2.00 = £56...just to run one storage heater a month! No way !!

18 Comments

we have these heaters. They suck monkey kahoonas. I believe the first dial controls input, the 2nd dial controls the flap inside at the top that lets heat out. i keep mine off, i even removed one and plugged an oil radiator into its place. Grrrr i hate em soo much.

Original Poster

So do you think Shane that if i buy a Wall (fire lookalike) heater from argos that pumps out 1 to 2KW of heat, would that be cheaper than running the storage heater in the living room?

saxo_appeal;4357756

So do you think Shane that if i buy a Wall (fire lookalike) heater from … So do you think Shane that if i buy a Wall (fire lookalike) heater from argos that pumps out 1 to 2KW of heat, would that be cheaper than running the storage heater in the living room?

not for having on all day no. but at least you can control when you want the heat. i always find our storage heaters are cold by late afternoon/evening...which is kinda when it starts to get cold so you need the heat then. I have one storage in the hall always on as its nice to get up in the morning to a warm hallway. The rest are off as all they do is eat electric (£10 a week or so) and i have an oil filled radiator in the kids room for when its chilly and i put it on in the evening and switch off in the morning. Kids arent in the room during the day they are at school so its better for me.

storage heaters were originally designed for when electric companies used to offer low rates on electricity at night time.
The idea being they heated up at night and continues to heat house during the day whilst not taking any electricity.
Whilst they will never be the cheapest source of heat used sensibly and on an optimised power scheme u can certainly cut down on the bills a fair bit.
Ask you power supplier or consider moving to another that offers a scheme beneficial to you.
They are not really suited to houses which are empty by day so changing your heating system may be an alternative but CH costs a fair bit to install if you can't do the work your self

Original Poster

Yeh it would be good, for that just to heat the room,
the living room storage heater does have a manual overide and can be switched on to pump out hot air....altho it is rubbish !!

Think ill get a wall heater lol

Banned

Girlfriend had storage heaters at her last year place, they were so damn horrible we just bought oil filled heaters too, but when she wasn't there it would get seriously damp in her room the bed was often soaked due to water or something seeping in through the walls from a cracked drain pipe I think. Horrible horrible place that was. Student accommodation is ****.

maddogb;4357837

storage heaters were originally designed for when electric companies used … storage heaters were originally designed for when electric companies used to offer low rates on electricity at night time.The idea being they heated up at night and continues to heat house during the day whilst not taking any electricity.Whilst they will never be the cheapest source of heat used sensibly and on an optimised power scheme u can certainly cut down on the bills a fair bit.Ask you power supplier or consider moving to another that offers a scheme beneficial to you.They are not really suited to houses which are empty by day so changing your heating system may be an alternative but CH costs a fair bit to install if you can't do the work your self

our heaters are on a seperate electric supply, and is half the cost of our other electric, still costs a bloody fortune tho! :x

Original Poster

Im looking at a Delonghi 2kw oil filled heater ! hmmmm

Banned

saxo_appeal;4358034

Im looking at a Delonghi 2kw oil filled heater ! hmmmm

Brings back memories of when my Mum couldn't afford to get our heating fixed and we had to sit in front of a gas fire...brrr freezing!

Original Poster

lol its not that bad, im taking bad coz im moving from my old dears place ans they have central heating !!!

Banned

saxo_appeal;4358076

lol its not that bad, im taking bad coz im moving from my old dears place … lol its not that bad, im taking bad coz im moving from my old dears place ans they have central heating !!!

God knows how my g/f managed a winter on storage heaters I could barely hold out for the weekend. Having a shower was the worst although they had a heater fan in the bathroom. I think they were putting in £10 a day into the meter or something stupid.

lumoruk;4358128

God knows how my g/f managed a winter on storage heaters I could barely … God knows how my g/f managed a winter on storage heaters I could barely hold out for the weekend. Having a shower was the worst although they had a heater fan in the bathroom. I think they were putting in £10 a day into the meter or something stupid.

you get used to it. im 32 and ive only had about a year living with central heating in my life. And i already miss it!!!! that was like 4 years ago, so although i complain its not that bad.

Banned

shanecr;4358186

you get used to it. im 32 and ive only had about a year living with … you get used to it. im 32 and ive only had about a year living with central heating in my life. And i already miss it!!!! that was like 4 years ago, so although i complain its not that bad.

You're 32 and rent?

Don't know how these heaters work, but I agree with your suggestion about approaching the landlady. I doubt she'll listen, but she might if you are willing to take a new contract with higher rent.

It sucks to be getting such a raw deal from the energy suppliers. Maybe do a bit of research first and find out how much extra it is costing you this way - it might help convince her that you have a case, and it will also give you an idea of what you should be paying.

Meters are a rip-off. A tax on poverty imo, so pretty disgusting.

We have a great fan heater that we use occasionally to quickly boost heat in a large room while waiting for the central heating to get going properly. It's a Dimplex 3088t. Not sure what it's like on elec usage, but it certainly does the job well.

Banned

Liddle ol' me;4358244

It's a Dimplex 3088t. Not sure what it's like on elec usage, but it … It's a Dimplex 3088t. Not sure what it's like on elec usage, but it certainly does the job well.

It's 3KW same as throwing clothes into a tumble dryer for 10mins just don't leave on all day

for an hour it would 50p+

lumoruk;4358262

It's 3KW same as throwing clothes into a tumble dryer for 10mins just … It's 3KW same as throwing clothes into a tumble dryer for 10mins just don't leave on all day :)for an hour it would 50p+

That's good to know, thanks :thumbsup:

Yes, we rarely use it. Last time was after coming back after a 3-week holiday over xmas. We had it on for a couple of hours in different rooms just to defrost the walls!

Original Poster

yeh iv heard fan heaters suck the power

]Here comes the science bit
That's the instructions for mine, & should be similar, if it's a dimplex you can get others ]here

Although, what they didn't stress in the 1st paragraph is the most important thing with this type of heater.

The output knob must be set to 1 before going to bed to close the internal flap. The 3rd picture will explain it. Otherwise when the heater kicks in at night all its heat is wasted & it's cold the next day. They still suck though.

I find for on the spot heating at my desk or taking the chill off a small room I find you canna beat the ]£14 focus halogen heater but its lighting can be intrusive & may also be kid unfriendly...

and anyway what's wrong with still renting in your thirties? I'm 33
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Credit Card Debt Question...813
    2. MacBook77
    3. Barclays app ATM withdrawal34
    4. Recover WIN 10 on HP Laptop45

See more discussions