Groups

Storage heaters vs oil filled plug in radiators?

So been in my new flat with my partner for almost a month now, its all electric and there is 2 storage heaters here, 1 in the living room and 1 in the hall between the 2 bedrooms and kitchens. Now my question is.. after experimenting we seem to be spending just over £20pw on electric..., lights, TV and even a dehumidifier that we have to run every 2 weeks in the bedrooms doesn't seem to be taking a lot of electric, but the storage heater seems to take like almost £3+ per night (when we turn it on, as you need to do it in advance for heat the next day) plus the immersion heating up the water for the next day.

What i wanted to know is, if we were to get some oil filled rads like these..

hotukdeals.com/dea…021

Would it be more economical to use for 1-2 hrs a day in rooms needed, rather than 7 hrs charging and storing up the heaters? Even tho its economy 7, which doesn't seem to help, Ive always had gas CH you see.

Thx, any input welcome.

17 Comments

Can't tell you specifics price wise but I'm in a similar situation in that its all electric with storage heaters. We use an oil filled radiator in the living room and bedroom along with a dehumidifier thats set to come on automatically at a certain humidity. We're in and out the house at all different hours for work so never bothered using the storage heaters and just have the oil radiators on for an hour or so when we're actually in, they also have timers so we can set them to come on for half an hour then off then on again which keeps the room at a steady temperature. Its a prepayment meter we have so its pretty expensive but I think our annual cost last year was about £650?
    Have you made sure your electricity is in your name? When we first moved in it took a while to get round to changing the account which meant we were paying an extra £12 a week to the last tenants debt!

Original Poster

sparky111091

Can't tell you specifics price wise but I'm in a similar situation in … Can't tell you specifics price wise but I'm in a similar situation in that its all electric with storage heaters. We use an oil filled radiator in the living room and bedroom along with a dehumidifier thats set to come on automatically at a certain humidity. We're in and out the house at all different hours for work so never bothered using the storage heaters and just have the oil radiators on for an hour or so when we're actually in, they also have timers so we can set them to come on for half an hour then off then on again which keeps the room at a steady temperature. Its a prepayment meter we have so its pretty expensive but I think our annual cost last year was about £650? Have you made sure your electricity is in your name? When we first moved in it took a while to get round to changing the account which meant we were paying an extra £12 a week to the last tenants debt!

Thanks for reply, actually come to think of it Ive changed my address for everything except electric meter. I just assumed as its basically a pay as you go meter it shouldn't matter who was in the flat before you. I mean if i top up £20.00 on the key, when i insert it into the meter £20.00 gets credited. So i assumed there was no debt here, Ive head story's that if there is a debt.. £5 maybe gets taken off every top up! All i do know is, Im 30 yrs old, had my own place for last 10 yrs and never seem to spend this much on electric. But i can have most things on and my meter doesn't go down that much, but put the storage heaters on and £3 - £4 goes overnight.

I don't need heat overnight as I am sleeping and got 15 togs of goose over me lol. Plus i hate trying to be mystic meg and trying to decide weather i need the heat tomorrow? Even if i do, turn it on, it charges 12am - 7am on economy 7 tariff, but come 9 pm the heat is basically finishing.. Plus if I'm out all day it feels like a waste!

Are oil filled rads, worth it in my position?

If i used two of them for a couple of hours per day, would it be cheaper for me or do they also cost a bomb??

Cheers

Painage

Thanks for reply, actually come to think of it Ive changed my address for … Thanks for reply, actually come to think of it Ive changed my address for everything except electric meter. I just assumed as its basically a pay as you go meter it shouldn't matter who was in the flat before you. I mean if i top up £20.00 on the key, when i insert it into the meter £20.00 gets credited. So i assumed there was no debt here, Ive head story's that if there is a debt.. £5 maybe gets taken off every top up! All i do know is, Im 30 yrs old, had my own place for last 10 yrs and never seem to spend this much on electric. But i can have most things on and my meter doesn't go down that much, but put the storage heaters on and £3 - £4 goes overnight.I don't need heat overnight as I am sleeping and got 15 togs of goose over me lol. Plus i hate trying to be mystic meg and trying to decide weather i need the heat tomorrow? Even if i do, turn it on, it charges 12am - 7am on economy 7 tariff, but come 9 pm the heat is basically finishing.. Plus if I'm out all day it feels like a waste!Are oil filled rads, worth it in my position?If i used two of them for a couple of hours per day, would it be cheaper for me or do they also cost a bomb??Cheers

yes it wud we use em takes like 20p for 7 hours

hasnawaleed123

yes it wud we use em takes like 20p for 7 hours

200w per hour is not a lot of heating.

For storage heaters and if your home is "all electric" - suggest you ensure you are on an E7 type tariff

My day rate is £00.16 approx
    My night rate is £00.07 approx

Therefore it's less than half price to use night rate and this is where storage heaters function best because they store heat (hint in the name).

Being on a tight budget my water heater comes on 3 x 1hr per week, my storage heaters 1.5hrs on at beginning of cheap rate then off then back on 2hrs before end of cheap rate - cheap rate usually lasts 7hrs (depending on your supplier) - some suppliers offer a 1hr topup cheap rate in the evening. I also cook a big pan of casserole or a couple of large dinners on cheap rate (yes late at night to freeze (saving what I can)).

My last bill (qtrly) (just received) under £120... hope this helps

With regards to using oil heaters they'll use similar to storage but because of the venting will not "store" the heat as good

Edited by: "philphil61" 3rd Jan 2015

I was only using 1 storage heater and found my electric usage was around £4 a day. Since buying an oil filled and using when needed im now at about £2a day

We are in a similar position. I was thinking the same. As dureing the day the house is way to warm. We have to open the windows. Then come the evening. We are cold. As no heat. We have 1 oil rad in the kids room. Which we put on 30 mins in the evening Before bed.
    We are on a bill. I am dreading that popping threw the door. I no I could check it online. But I am to terrified to check that even.

check what the input and output are set to. Are the booster vents open? If you are switching them on and off with days in between then they are more expensive to run. I used to have storage heaters on economy 7 tarriff and did my washing, tumble drying and water heater through the night.

We had storage heaters and completely turned them off then used a portable gas heater (the ones with the bottle in the back) a large bottle cost us £35 and lasted 3 weeks 4 hours a day

Well we're all electric and have a small oil filled rad in the kitchen which I put away in the spring, and storage living room, two bedrooms and undefloor in kitchen on normal ring. Economy 7 here too. We pay about £80 a month which I think is buttons, although a coal fire in the lounge is sometimes used (albeit because it's nice, not just for the heat!).

My main point is coming from dual fuel can be a shock to the system, I had endless discussions about the MiL's mother moving into an all electric flat. They constantly complained about the bill despite me pointing out you need to compare it to both gas and electric bills from the previous place. It's not like for like. The biggest 'shock' is losing the flexibility of gas CH.

Bear in mind there's only one standard charge and electricity prices tend to be more stable than gas too. And if your tank is well insulated you don't use loads of electricity heating it up either.

Remember, unlike gas heating, there are no ongoing maintenance / service charges to pay with storage heaters.

Painage

Thanks for reply, actually come to think of it Ive changed my address for … Thanks for reply, actually come to think of it Ive changed my address for everything except electric meter. I just assumed as its basically a pay as you go meter it shouldn't matter who was in the flat before you. I mean if i top up £20.00 on the key, when i insert it into the meter £20.00 gets credited. So i assumed there was no debt here, Ive head story's that if there is a debt.. £5 maybe gets taken off every top up! All i do know is, Im 30 yrs old, had my own place for last 10 yrs and never seem to spend this much on electric. But i can have most things on and my meter doesn't go down that much, but put the storage heaters on and £3 - £4 goes overnight.I don't need heat overnight as I am sleeping and got 15 togs of goose over me lol. Plus i hate trying to be mystic meg and trying to decide weather i need the heat tomorrow? Even if i do, turn it on, it charges 12am - 7am on economy 7 tariff, but come 9 pm the heat is basically finishing.. Plus if I'm out all day it feels like a waste!Are oil filled rads, worth it in my position?If i used two of them for a couple of hours per day, would it be cheaper for me or do they also cost a bomb??Cheers

Definitely phone the electric company then as you might be paying someone elses debt. I wasn't in a rush to do it as it was a pre payment meter so didn't think it mattered. We only found out when our dog ate the power key and I called to get a new one and the guy on the phone told me. I wouldn't want to tell you to spend the money on a radiator in case it doesn't work put cheaper for you, like I said my circumstances mean I need heat there and then as I can't plan when I'm going to be in which is why they work for me. We don't have it running for hours on end as I think they do cost a fair bit but so do the storage heaters in my flat. On average we top up £30 every 2 weeks over winter, sonetimes a bit more, when we have the heaters running for a while every day, and in summer we can make £30 last over a month sometimes two.

Inactive

Remember, unlike gas heating, there are no ongoing maintenance / service … Remember, unlike gas heating, there are no ongoing maintenance / service charges to pay with storage heaters.

Have no storage heaters in the history of the world ever gone wrong then?

Hallsie

Not much can go wrong

You have elements (similar to those used in electric cooks and then just control panel/thermostat and then just bricks and the casing - yes not much can go wrong and you don't even need an annual inspection (gas safety).

I'm not qualified sparky but I got 3 storage heaters given to me via gumtree and it was easy to connect/install to existing points (separate ring main/power supply) but my supplier/meter is not e7 auto switched so I have to use separate timers on each appliance.

Hallsie

Mine haven't in over 20 years.

, House built in 1974 with 5 night storage heaters, only have 3 now as cavity wall insulated and triple glazing all so 15" of rockwall in roof but have a 2kw elec heater fake fire in living room and a oil filled rad in small bedroom. night storage heaters are creda and now 40 years old and still going strong.

Only thing to go wrong usually are the controls seize through lack of use!

Only people to **** off storage heaters are those who ahve never used or lived with them. Once you e got the settings right for you house, they're canny simple to use and live with. And I switch my circuits off for about 8 months of the year, try doing that with most gas systems.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Hard drive 'died'(?), what can I do? (for computer wizards please!)59
      2. iPhone charging cable.917
      3. Iptv922
      4. Xbox one region locked codes?11

See more discussions