Storing barbecue outside during the winter, will a cover be enough? (thinking of buying a bbq)

Found 11th Jun
So thinking of a bbq but have no where to store it in winter.

If I throw a cover over it in winter will that be enough to keep it in good condition or is storing bbq outdoors in the winter not a good idea and it will just break very quickly?

Any help appreciated please

Thank you
Community Updates
AskBBQ
17 Comments
If you can't store inside then use disposable ones. Better in most cases. Stagger light times for multiple. Storing outside is no good for the seals or the metal on the gas bbq ect
Edited by: "wayners" 11th Jun
I brought one 2 years ago and haven’t used a cover it’s rusty as hell where the coals go but apart from that it’s usable!

I think a cover should suffice
wayners15 m ago

If you can't store inside then use disposable ones. Better in most cases. …If you can't store inside then use disposable ones. Better in most cases. Stagger light times for multiple. Storing outside is no good for the seals or the metal on the gas bbq ect

Sounds as though you should put it away in the summer to?
rayanfield8314 m ago

I brought one 2 years ago and haven’t used a cover it’s rusty as hell whe …I brought one 2 years ago and haven’t used a cover it’s rusty as hell where the coals go but apart from that it’s usable! I think a cover should suffice

How much did you spend roughly? Not sure how much to throw at it
I brought one for £30 from b&q it’s a bloomer one just under a meter long
Never put mine away its been under a cover for 3 years and its fine
Just cover mine with a large £3 tarpaulin from b&m, Poundland also sell them but not sure if they are big enough..
Can we stop claiming we've "brought" barbeques now please?????

We recently purchased a gas BBQ and found a really good quality cover in B&Q for £10. It'll be living outside over the Winter I think so I understand your concerns.
33973683-oReda.jpg
That’s mine been outside uncovered for 2 years. Only noticeable rust is where hot coals have had contact
You can store a bbq outside in the winter, you will need a cover and then cover it with a tarp on top of the cover during the worst of the weather to keep it dry.
You haven't said what your bbq is/will be. Our Weber has been outside for at least 14 years and we cooked on it again this evening. It's had a few replacement grill plates in that time but the rest is absolutely sound.
windym13 m ago

You haven't said what your bbq is/will be. Our Weber has been outside for …You haven't said what your bbq is/will be. Our Weber has been outside for at least 14 years and we cooked on it again this evening. It's had a few replacement grill plates in that time but the rest is absolutely sound.

Exactly the same here, in fact I just bought a cheap (£10) grill/ grate from lidl last weekend, the actual weber BBQ is still perfectly fine after ten years outside all year round.
Edited by: "Dyslexic_Dog" 11th Jun
windym11th Jun

You haven't said what your bbq is/will be. Our Weber has been outside for …You haven't said what your bbq is/will be. Our Weber has been outside for at least 14 years and we cooked on it again this evening. It's had a few replacement grill plates in that time but the rest is absolutely sound.

windym11th Jun

Bought a Weber kettle last year and a cheap cover from ebay - the cover dissappeared one windy night sometime over the winter yet the Weber still appears as good as new. Pleased to hear others have 10+ year old ones still going strong!
windym47 m ago

So it hasn't gone rusty or seized up if it is gas one? If not that is fantastic!

You leave it outside with no cover or shelter?
adamwilko0077 h, 36 m ago

So it hasn't gone rusty or seized up if it is gas one? If not that is …So it hasn't gone rusty or seized up if it is gas one? If not that is fantastic!You leave it outside with no cover or shelter?

No it hasn't gone rusty. It's a weber. They have a porcelain enamelled bowl and lid. Their basic guarantee is 10 years no rust. It lives outside, completely alone and we live on the moors in Cornwall.

Apart from the grill, which we replace because we are lazy and don't clean it fastidiously after each use - the bbq is the same as it was when it left the shop, albeit it's not quite as shiny.

People think they are expensive, but in reality it's a bbq for life, longer if you actually look after it with a cover or some shelter.
Edited by: "windym" 12th Jun
windym1 h, 39 m ago

No it hasn't gone rusty. It's a weber. They have a porcelain enamelled …No it hasn't gone rusty. It's a weber. They have a porcelain enamelled bowl and lid. Their basic guarantee is 10 years no rust. It lives outside, completely alone and we live on the moors in Cornwall.Apart from the grill, which we replace because we are lazy and don't clean it fastidiously after each use - the bbq is the same as it was when it left the shop, albeit it's not quite as shiny.People think they are expensive, but in reality it's a bbq for life, longer if you actually look after it with a cover or some shelter.

That's actually amazing! I am going to save up for one those instead of buying cheap and nasty 100 times. Thanks for letting me know about this
if using a cover make sure the whole thing is pegged down for any high winds
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants