Storing homemade Chutney

Found 29th Jun 2010
I've made some Rhubarb Chutney to sell at my Son's school Summer Fair. I've used old jam jars and lids (sterilised) and wonder whether to store these in a cool cupboard or in the fridge. Any ideas?
Community Updates
Misc
12 Comments
from the time i made a bit of rubbish jam, i remember the instructions said you dont need to refridgerate till it's opened, if the correct procedure was done, they are sterile so should be ok

but if you have the room, then put in the fridge anyway
If you've sterilised and sealed properly they don't need to go in the fridge.
Home-made chutney is a very good laxative , I don't know what you mothers union lot put in it but it always clears the system out , lol
goldmax;8942906

Home-made chutney is a very good laxative , I don't know what you mothers … Home-made chutney is a very good laxative , I don't know what you mothers union lot put in it but it always clears the system out , lol

"Mothers Union" ha funny! Not surprised it helps clear out your system - I used 4kg of rhubarb 1kg of onions aswell of lots of other ingredients!
lula060606;8943069

"Mothers Union" ha funny! Not surprised it helps clear out your system - … "Mothers Union" ha funny! Not surprised it helps clear out your system - I used 4kg of rhubarb 1kg of onions aswell of lots of other ingredients!

this sounds very suspicious
In the cupboard, once sealed!
goldmax;8943141

[/U] this sounds very suspicious

Arrr you see that would be telling!! Cannot give away my culinary secrets!!

Thanks everyone - will leave them out of the fridge ready for the fair - oh the pressure am petrified going to give the parents botulism. And yes I did wash my hands!!
rhubarb chutney sounds yummy
id come to the fair to pick some up if it were in blackpool
i love chutneys, my friend makes beetroot chutney and gives me a kenco jar full every few months
Fraid not in Blackpool - on the Wirral!
lula060606;8949803

Fraid not in Blackpool - on the Wirral!

bit far for some chutney
is it difficult to make? iv never made chutney of any kind
We put homemade plum jam in the fridge just to make sure, but it doesn't last long anyway, it's so yummy!
patience_1;8942902

If you've sterilised and sealed properly they don't need to go in the … If you've sterilised and sealed properly they don't need to go in the fridge.

adp;8943145

In the cupboard, once sealed!

These!
It'll keep for years.:-D
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants