Strange car problem

Found 30th May
My Audi A3 TDIe has recently developed strange problem. It loses power randomly when driving. Putting the accelerator to the floor when it happens does nothing.

However when I take it out of gear and put it back in gear or any other gear, then it picks up power again and drives fine.

It happens very randomly. Maybe once or twice in short 20-30 min journey. Has not happened on the motorway the few times I've been on.

Nothing on the engine management lights either.

Strange! Any suggestions on what it might be? I'm going to see if there are any fault codes but I'm wondering if its a dirty throttle body issue? Had something similar on my previous Golf but that would cut out completely and need an engine restart.
Community Updates
AskHome & Garden
Top comments
No point asking here. For every 10 replies you will get 10 different diagnosis.

I think you have a faulty air freshener refill...
15 Comments
Could be a injector issue depending on the year of the car
Could be the clutch, when you lose power and press the accelerator is the engine still revving?
Car is 08 plate

No revs when it loses power. The accelerator pedal does nothing until i take it out of gear and back, then it revs again fine.
I had a similar issue on a golf mk4 TDI. Turned out to be a build up of dirty fuel in the rear turbo so it couldn’t gain any power.
Father had symptoms with his Skoda Fabia as you have described and they replaced the Mass Air Flow sensor/meter under warranty.
No point asking here. For every 10 replies you will get 10 different diagnosis.

I think you have a faulty air freshener refill...
A couple of things you can do before you get into expensive stuff:

Air filter - check it and change it
Fuel filter - maybe clogged up it’s now often overlooked as part of standard servicing even at main dealers

Add some cataclean to your fuel to give the inside of your engine a good clean and keep your emissions down.

If the above doesn’t fix it, could be a number of issues such as:
slipping clutch
Faulty turbo
Injector issue
DPF issue (if fitted with DPF)
EGR valve
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 30th May
Not all faults throw a warning light. Get the codes read (cheap vag-com clone would be best).

Is this a manual or a DSG? If manual does just putting the clutch in fix it?

Are you getting smoke out of the exhaust when it happens?
Any noises?
Is it under acceleration or does it happen at steady speed?

First thing I'd do would be to look over the inlet air pipework. Turbo/Intercooler/air filter. Check all clips are intact and no splits in the pipes. Replacing air filter and fuel filter is always a good idea as was said earlier in the thread.

Then I'd be looking at the turbo. I guess this is the variable vane jobby that has a tendency to clog up, can you move the actuator by hand? Is it smooth in movement?
mas998 m ago

Not all faults throw a warning light. Get the codes read (cheap vag-com …Not all faults throw a warning light. Get the codes read (cheap vag-com clone would be best).Is this a manual or a DSG? If manual does just putting the clutch in fix it?Are you getting smoke out of the exhaust when it happens?Any noises?Is it under acceleration or does it happen at steady speed?First thing I'd do would be to look over the inlet air pipework. Turbo/Intercooler/air filter. Check all clips are intact and no splits in the pipes. Replacing air filter and fuel filter is always a good idea as was said earlier in the thread.Then I'd be looking at the turbo. I guess this is the variable vane jobby that has a tendency to clog up, can you move the actuator by hand? Is it smooth in movement?

Manual and yes putting the clutch in does fix it.
No smoke, no noise and happens at a steady speed
Thanks for all the replies will get a VAG machine on it and see what that throws up.
I had a clio that did the same thing. Never could work out what caused it. Solved the problem by trading it in.
cecilmcroberts11 h, 13 m ago

Father had symptoms with his Skoda Fabia as you have described and they …Father had symptoms with his Skoda Fabia as you have described and they replaced the Mass Air Flow sensor/meter under warranty.

Had similar issues with my car as well and it was the mass airflow sensor too.
Clutch pedal switch. It either needs adjusting or replacing.

The clutch pedal switch function is to limit the power whilst changing gear to prolong the life of the clutch/DMF.

Next time you experience loss of power, don’t change gear, just dip the clutch and see if that cures it.
Adam_C-82b30.64866:
Clutch pedal switch. It either needs adjusting or replacing.

The clutch pedal switch function is to limit the power whilst changing gear to prolong the life of the clutch/DMF.

Next time you experience loss of power, don’t change gear, just dip the clutch and see if that cures it.
Dipping the clutch does fix it...
Then it needs the switch adjusting or replacing. It’s just above the clutch pedal.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions