Groups

Strange DVD Writer Problem, if anyone can help :)

Hi All,

I have a really strange problem with my DVD burner I have a NEC 4570
    I use Nero to do my Burning
    If I burn a DVD it works and it Verifys the Burn afterwards and that all works, but after it is finished it does not read the DVD, but if i put it in another PC or 360 the DVD works great, its just the Machine I do the burning on will not read it again after, and its doing my head in lol

Anyone?? If anyone needs to know any more just ask

17 Comments

Sounds like it's time for a new DVD writer.

Does the NEC drive read purchased DVDs and DVDs burnt on another computer?

Original Poster

Babbabooey;5291236

Sounds like it's time for a new DVD writer.

Thats what I thought but normally it would not write a DVD and then Verify it as working and then have a fully working DVD come out the other side. It must be able to read the DVD to verify it. Also every other Disc I have not burnt works in the DVD perfectly

Original Poster

andersh;5291275

Does the NEC drive read purchased DVDs and DVDs burnt on another computer?

It reads Real DVD's but I have not tried DVDs burnt from another PC, After I finish burning my current DVD I will check

ah, so it's only ones you burn that are having the issue... have you tried different makes of blank dvd to see if you get the same problem?

Original Poster

Babbabooey;5291312

ah, so it's only ones you burn that are having the issue... have you … ah, so it's only ones you burn that are having the issue... have you tried different makes of blank dvd to see if you get the same problem?

Not yet, I am checking that now (I only got different ones last night), but the Disc's I have been using did work its only been since I reinstalled my PC that they are not working.

I have the same problem with my laptop, burns to a disc but wont play back on laptop, but will on dvd player, i solved it by using different software, now use winavi to burn and for some reason they now play on my laptop??? dont know why, someone on here suggested it and it worked, was using Ashampoo burning studio before,

Give a trial version of winavi video convertor a go and see if it works

download.cnet.com/Win…col

Original Poster

Babbabooey;5291312

ah, so it's only ones you burn that are having the issue... have you … ah, so it's only ones you burn that are having the issue... have you tried different makes of blank dvd to see if you get the same problem?

Dohhh just tried another type of Disc and it works But the first type of Disc used to work and must be read by the Drive as it burns to it and Verify it has burnt (Which means it can read it) but then it does not read it when I put it back in AGGHHHHHH lol

clondikemike;5291340

I have the same problem with my laptop, burns to a disc but wont play … I have the same problem with my laptop, burns to a disc but wont play back on laptop, but will on dvd player, i solved it by using different software, now use winavi to burn and for some reason they now play on my laptop??? dont know why, someone on here suggested it and it worked, was using Ashampoo burning studio before, Give a trial version of winavi video convertor a go and see if it workshttp://download.cnet.com/WinAVI-Video-Converter/3000-2194_4-10573070.html?tag=mncol

Don't really want to use another program as I have my Plug-ins for Nero and I do a lot of Data Burns not really intrested in Converting to DVD player format, Thanks thou Rep added to all so far

So any other Idea's from anyone please?

Perhaps the verification process reads the discs in the different way. I'm assuming you're using Windows. You could try downloading a Linux Live CD, e.g. ubuntu.com/get…oad and booting from that, then see if the drive will read the discs. If you get the same issue then you know it's a drive/media/hardware problem, if not then it's a software issue.

either the discs you are using are rated at a diff speed and your system isn't picking this up, try forcing the speed down eg to x4 and burning then, also make sure you don't have the test burn option on.

Original Poster

andersh;5291510

Perhaps the verification process reads the discs in the different way. … Perhaps the verification process reads the discs in the different way. I'm assuming you're using Windows. You could try downloading a Linux Live CD, e.g. http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download and booting from that, then see if the drive will read the discs. If you get the same issue then you know it's a drive/media/hardware problem, if not then it's a software issue.

I dont really want to do the live CD thing as every time i touch Linux I seem to **** that PC, I can do it on another PC but thats not having the problems
    Thats why i reinstalled in the first plce cos Grub is the biggest pile of poo ever!!! Aggghhhhhh

maddogb;5291707

either the discs you are using are rated at a diff speed and your system … either the discs you are using are rated at a diff speed and your system isn't picking this up, try forcing the speed down eg to x4 and burning then, also make sure you don't have the test burn option on.

I have tried burning at different speeds and it makes no difference They are x8 speed DVD-R and I have tried at x1 x2 x4 x8

Sorry not seeing how that would make any difference as its working on other drives after I have burnt??? so what would the test burn option do? I dont have it set BTW, and nero is not running wheni put the disc back in, it is not coming up in my computer???

Rep added to you both by the way

sorry didn't make that out from your prev post,
    so the disk is actually burnt ok and works fine on other drives?
    so if you put it back in a machine a day later after sever reboots it still won't work?

Can't agree with you there on Grub :p, but anyway, you don't need to install or change anything on your PC. You can boot straight from the Live CD. Otherwise, you could try putting the drive in another PC? You need to narrow things down before you can hope to find a fix.

There are different versions of the DVD standard, and it should be possible for an application to burn and verify a CD that the operating system it's running on can't read.

That's obviously not what's happening here if it used to work and other disks work though.

Have you tried changing the filesystem and similar settings in Nero?

Original Poster

maddogb;5292234

sorry didn't make that out from your prev post, so the disk is actually … sorry didn't make that out from your prev post, so the disk is actually burnt ok and works fine on other drives?so if you put it back in a machine a day later after sever reboots it still won't work?

Yes thats correct, and it just wont work lol

andersh;5292327

Can't agree with you there on Grub :p, but anyway, you don't need to … Can't agree with you there on Grub :p, but anyway, you don't need to install or change anything on your PC. You can boot straight from the Live CD. Otherwise, you could try putting the drive in another PC? You need to narrow things down before you can hope to find a fix.

Dont get me started with Grub, I would love to use Linux dual boot, now i just have it on a seprate machine lol if you know Linux really well mind if I tap you up later in a week or 2 to maybe have a go on getting it to work (I am a novice with Linux but good PC user), what i would really like is Windows on a Hard drive and Linux on a large USB stick and choose to boot either using the Bios boot option, and not GRUB or anything else that plays with Boot sectors lol

I know you can do the live CD thing and I might try, If i can get a CD (not had any for years now lol)

EndlessWaves;5293250

There are different versions of the DVD standard, and it should be … There are different versions of the DVD standard, and it should be possible for an application to burn and verify a CD that the operating system it's running on can't read.That's obviously not what's happening here if it used to work and other disks work though. Have you tried changing the filesystem and similar settings in Nero?

I have played with lots of settings All I am doing at the moment is buring a DVD Data disc with basic settings really, like i said it did work now its not, so i have changed so much its silly and it is only happening with the original Dics I was using (Think I am going to have to use the last few up (20 odd Discs and never buy them again) just strange the first 15odd Discs I burnt still work in the drive perfectly well lol

after all that it sounds like a duff batch of discs lol, ps about the linux thing depending on the board many have an option to hit a key at boot stage (eg asrocks f11) so just install diff OS on a 2nd hdd, not used grub or linux for a while. but was always impressed with lilo in the old days.

Original Poster

maddogb;5298005

after all that it sounds like a duff batch of discs lol, ps about the … after all that it sounds like a duff batch of discs lol, ps about the linux thing depending on the board many have an option to hit a key at boot stage (eg asrocks f11) so just install diff OS on a 2nd hdd, not used grub or linux for a while. but was always impressed with lilo in the old days.

I would hav ethought thatm if every other drive did not rewad them after I burnt them and the drive a burnt them on read them and wrote to them just never read them again after lol

I know about the boot option, but I do not know how to install linux without it doing anything to the boot sector or tell it not to install anything like Grub, I will learn lol
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Supermarket may have sold Sausages & Other Pork products may have been inf…1224
      2. Entitled to overtime to be included in your holiday pay410
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764325
      4. USS Indianapolis wreckage to be considered as a war memorial11

See more discussions