Found 25th Jul 2008
a word of warning for any that use this company. there was a deal here just over a year ago

i took out one years "free" hosting from them last year. the T&Cs state you have to contact them at least 1 month before the end of your contract if you don't want to renew. my renewal was due mid july. i contacted them via telephone in April to tell them i didn't wish to renew. the CS agent informed that was fine and there would be no problem. i received an email from them on the renewal date informing me that my card was no longer valid (big surprise as it had expired 6 months earlier) so i contacted them again and asked for it to be cancelled, this time i did it through their website. i had a nasty letter this morning requesting payment or else. so i've just contacted them on the phone and amazingly enough they have no record of the april conversation and the july email was too late. looks like i'm going to have to let it go all the way to court to get it cancelled. btw their supervisors don't speak english..... only german

11 Comments

I had the same thing happen to me! Last month also,probably round about the same time,as I seen the deal on here...My phone call was actually the guy on the other end laughing! You could hear it in his voice as I was trying to argue my case,I actually asked him at one point if he thought it was funny,which he clearly did,lol. Thankfully my card is also now not valid that I used to pay for this,(I hadn't checked before the phone call,so you can imagine how annoyed I was that I was getting £49.99 taken out my bank account that day) but I still want the domain. It is valid for another year. Anyone know if it will be possible to transfer the domain over to my 123reg or godaddy account,and if so,how would I go about it? Thanks

Looks like I will be joining you in court. Pretty much the same thing happened to me and I have refused to pay. I have received two letters, the latest today from intrum justitia, a debt collection agency! First time I've had a debt collection agency on my back, but I'm not budging!

Let's keep in touch about this. We might have to form an action group!

Original Poster

i spoke to a lawyer friend earlier and he advised me to contact them to make sure they know you're not happy and then to protect your credit history pay the invoice (under protest) and then seek contract cancellation an refund from management level staff via email and registered letter. i've posted the same warning on the pcpro forums and if i see them advertising anywhere i'll do the same there. i'm also contacting pcpros watchdog on monday to see if they'll become involved as IIRC strato advertise there.

I don't know if it's a good or bad thing,but my credit history is shot to pot at present,so I won't be taking your advice to pay it,but you are right, They have got you over a barrel and it will stuff up your credit history if you don't pay. L.O.M. it might be an idea to contact them and say that yourself and I and any others who see this thread and who have the same problem WILL PAY but at a reduced rate (I would gladly pay £25 and keep the hosting,domain,credit history etc.) if they sort it out,if not,then they can send me all the letters they like. There is no way they are taking you to court or doing anything else for a less than £50 debt,trust me I know :whistling:

wolf359;2605169

i spoke to a lawyer friend earlier and he advised me to contact them to … i spoke to a lawyer friend earlier and he advised me to contact them to make sure they know you're not happy and then to protect your credit history pay the invoice (under protest) and then seek contract cancellation an refund from management level staff via email and registered letter. i've posted the same warning on the pcpro forums and if i see them advertising anywhere i'll do the same there. i'm also contacting pcpros watchdog on monday to see if they'll become involved as IIRC strato advertise there.



You said in the op, "looks like i'm going to have to let it go all the way to court to get it cancelled." Sounds like you won't though if you are going to pay them. Whether or not you do it under protest, how do you propose to bring this to court after you've paid them?

rehydrated;2605260

I L.O.M. it might be an idea to contact them and say that yourself and I … I L.O.M. it might be an idea to contact them and say that yourself and I and any others who see this thread and who have the same problem WILL PAY but at a reduced rate (I would gladly pay £25 and keep the hosting,domain,credit history etc.) if they sort it out,if not,then they can send me all the letters they like. There is no way they are taking you to court or doing anything else for a less than £50 debt,trust me I know :whistling:



Because I ignored their first letter (last month), it seems they have already sold my debt on to this intrum justitia lot though, who have also added a 20 Euro Reminder fee amd a 27 Euro Collection fee. My total has moved from 63.24 to 111.03 (with interest added too)!

Original Poster

because if you pay under protest you are still able to initiate a small claims court action against them. the advise was "pay now and sue later" or you'll screw up your credit file

wolf359;2605326

because if you pay under protest you are still able to initiate a small … because if you pay under protest you are still able to initiate a small claims court action against them. the advise was "pay now and sue later" or you'll screw up your credit file



Yes, well because I got this letter today from this collection agency it seems as if I have already created a credit history problem - lol, I had a perfect credit history too. If that is the case, I have to decide the best option. To cut my losses and pay, to write to them and offer a reduced settlement, or to ignore them. :thinking:

Original Poster

thats the problem. people think that if they ignore these letters they'll go away. they don't. even from companies like this who are clearly advertising these offers in the knowledge that people will either forget to cancel or will not do so in writing. even their T&Cs as quoted to me by their CS don't state you have to cancel in writing. yet they stick to their guns. i've now paid the invoice just over a week after it being presented. if they pass me onto a collection agency i will not be best pleased.

wolf359;2605470

i've now paid the invoice just over a week after it being presented. if … i've now paid the invoice just over a week after it being presented. if they pass me onto a collection agency i will not be best pleased.



I think you are safe from that happening. My account is about 6 weeks older than yours and I just didn't think they would take it this far (i.e. a debt collection agency). I had already requested the account to be closed and they did so - telling me it was frozen until I settled. I wasn't worried about the domains so I thought that would be the end of it. But now what to do? Pay off these goons incl. their extortionate fees or ignore them too?! After all, the damage seems to be done in my case, or will this just drag on for years and prevent me getting any gredit ever again... Oh dear, what a mess :?

Original Poster

you could wait a little while and then sign up to experian or one of the other credit agencies ( i think they still have a free month - but remember to cancel :P ) if your credit file is hit then you have a right to place an addendum to that bad entry giving your side of the issue
Post a comment
Avatar
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition57587
    2. Win an all-inclusive holiday to Antigua, including flights!44
    3. Free money and competition entry @ Circle813
    4. Win a Fisher-Price Think & Learn Teach 'n tag Movi @ Netmums22

    See more discussions