Streaming Box? Kodi?

Found 25th Apr 2015
Was talking to a mate the other day and he was telling me about this new box he had got. I think he said it was called kodi? Apparently you get free sports, movies etc and he said its really good. Has anyone ever heard of these before? Also does anyone know which is the best to get? - A lot on amazon have mixed reviews

Thanks
Community Updates
AskStreamingKodi
29 Comments
Android supports Kodi. They're most likely talking about this: amazon.co.uk/gp/…s00
Kodi is a program by the way.
Kodi is software. Most hardware devices will run it.
Original Poster
rev6

Android supports Kodi. They're most likely talking about this: … Android supports Kodi. They're most likely talking about this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00OPX3XQ6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00Kodi is a program by the way.

Is it right that you get free sports and movies? He was telling me that the kids were watching the new spongebob movie on it
Has anyone ever heard of Kodi?

Google

Basically Kodi is an Application to play media files ie Movies from various devices, on a TV. It can be installed on pc's android devices & dedicated media players.
The Legal idea is to play movies that you own, the illegal idea is you install Addons, these addons enable your device to stream movies & tv shows from various sources on the internet. (not all addons are illegal) if you want to get sky movies or sports, it is possible, but in my experience, the quality & actually finding sources is not good, or easy. But not legal.
The android version of kodi, is not as good as installing kodi on a pc

Ebay sell a lot of android kodi devices, with the addons preinstalled, this makes it easy for a newbie, but Kodi is free & searching the internet shows you how to install the addons yourself.

Youtube Kodi
Hi, I've seen a few deals on hotukdeals about android media boxes. I too was interested in getting one of these boxes but one that is easy to set up and operate. Can anyone recommend any particular boxes that are good and easy to use?
phoenix4102

Hi, I've seen a few deals on hotukdeals about android media boxes. I … Hi, I've seen a few deals on hotukdeals about android media boxes. I too was interested in getting one of these boxes but one that is easy to set up and operate. Can anyone recommend any particular boxes that are good and easy to use?

you can buy boxes online that have pretty much everything you need already installed on them ie sports movies. you will be paying a little bit more for it, but it's worth the peace of mind if your not 100% sure what or how to install. but you'll need to learn as some will need updated or maybe reinstalled. there's plenty of videos on YouTube that would make it relatively easy. a simple Android box search should give the results your looking for lol
STRICKIBHOY

you can buy boxes online that have pretty much everything you need … you can buy boxes online that have pretty much everything you need already installed on them ie sports movies. you will be paying a little bit more for it, but it's worth the peace of mind if your not 100% sure what or how to install. but you'll need to learn as some will need updated or maybe reinstalled. there's plenty of videos on YouTube that would make it relatively easy. a simple Android box search should give the results your looking for lol

Thanks. I've seen a few but have no idea if they any good or not. You got any recommendations for a novice.
they'll all do a decent enough job, but you'll be paying £20/£30 more than the box is actual worth. so stick within your budget. I'm not sure how to post links, but a simple search of Android box on gumtree for example will give you good results lol. you'll pay around £70 typically for good box that'll do everything you want it to. No need to pay more. but again you could prob get the same box for about £50 online without anything installed. if you've got an Android phone download kodi and and watch YouTube vids to get an idea.
Original Poster
STRICKIBHOY

they'll all do a decent enough job, but you'll be paying £20/£30 more t … they'll all do a decent enough job, but you'll be paying £20/£30 more than the box is actual worth. so stick within your budget. I'm not sure how to post links, but a simple search of Android box on gumtree for example will give you good results lol. you'll pay around £70 typically for good box that'll do everything you want it to. No need to pay more. but again you could prob get the same box for about £50 online without anything installed. if you've got an Android phone download kodi and and watch YouTube vids to get an idea.

What is the picture quality like ?
markt91

Depends on your internet speed. Lots of the channels are HD but unless your speed is up to the job it'll buffer and be grainy. I use the M8 box with top speed Virgin Media and sometimes I get buffering and have to switch over to another streaming provider or switch to a non HD stream
Original Poster
rubytuesday0203

Depends on your internet speed. Lots of the channels are HD but unless … Depends on your internet speed. Lots of the channels are HD but unless your speed is up to the job it'll buffer and be grainy. I use the M8 box with top speed Virgin Media and sometimes I get buffering and have to switch over to another streaming provider or switch to a non HD stream

Should be ok then. Got BT infinity here, between 60 - 70 mbps
markt91

it only seems to be live streams like sports you get buffering. anything else is usually perfect.
The free sports streaming addons are more trouble than they are worth
Wanted some advice guys. I'm OK downloading kodi and linking it to my nas drive.

Problem is I'm right royaly stuck on getting these channels like sports people are talking about.

Anyone direct me to some YouTube videos please? I could do random searches but I'd rather go by some videos recommended by people on here.

Thanks
you can put kodi on a rasp pi, and plug in to your tv via hdmi, then stream from your NAS. there are plugins for iplayer etc, but i don't think you will get free sports.

i highly recommended kodi on the rasp pi. works well.
fred box

you can put kodi on a rasp pi, and plug in to your tv via hdmi, then … you can put kodi on a rasp pi, and plug in to your tv via hdmi, then stream from your NAS. there are plugins for iplayer etc, but i don't think you will get free sports.i highly recommended kodi on the rasp pi. works well.

I use a Amazon Fire Tv and have HD live sports. It depends which add on you use
phoenix4102

Thanks. I've seen a few but have no idea if they any good or not. You … Thanks. I've seen a few but have no idea if they any good or not. You got any recommendations for a novice.

Amazon fire stick or Raspberry Pi - both less than £40 and run Kodi
kjcoolcat

i haven't used the amazon fire stick, but it sounds good, compact and built in wifi.
wifi n on the rasp pi + kodi wasnt enough for me to stream though, so i moved back to CAT5
kjcoolcat

Hi, do you know if you can run showbox on the Amazon fire stick etc.
Kodi does not come with or give you access to any illegal channels, films or TV streams, the sooner people get this into their heads the better.
phoenix4102

Hi, do you know if you can run showbox on the Amazon fire stick etc.

To be honest I don't know. But it runs kodi fine so not sure why you would need showbox anyway?
fred box

i haven't used the amazon fire stick, but it sounds good, compact and … i haven't used the amazon fire stick, but it sounds good, compact and built in wifi. wifi n on the rasp pi + kodi wasnt enough for me to stream though, so i moved back to CAT5

Not used the fire stick myself but am tempted to get one. Seems a lot quicker than my over clocked pi (my bro has the fire stick so had a glimpse yesterday).

Wifi on the Pi is ok, think it's all down to the settings and wifi adaptor used. I like using acestream for decent quality football games, but these no longer work on the pi so I'm looking for an alternative
kjcoolcat

Not used the fire stick myself but am tempted to get one. Seems a lot … Not used the fire stick myself but am tempted to get one. Seems a lot quicker than my over clocked pi (my bro has the fire stick so had a glimpse yesterday). Wifi on the Pi is ok, think it's all down to the settings and wifi adaptor used. I like using acestream for decent quality football games, but these no longer work on the pi so I'm looking for an alternative

You have the original Pi? The Pi2 is much quicker and doesn't need overclocking to get any sort of performance.
Original Poster
dcx_badass

Kodi does not come with or give you access to any illegal channels, films … Kodi does not come with or give you access to any illegal channels, films or TV streams, the sooner people get this into their heads the better.

I know you have to do it yourself...My mate said he was running sky sports on his without any problems. Plus films aswell, I know the kids were watching the new spongebob film

Edited by moderator: "code of conduct" 26th Apr 2015
sports channels can be found on the following add ons

phoenix
UK turks
pak hind

all info can be found on YouTube I taught myself in a couple of hours and had it all up and running
I recommend tutorials by Sean pook or if you fancy a laugh watch this guy

m.youtube.com/?gl=GB
rev6

You have the original Pi? The Pi2 is much quicker and doesn't need … You have the original Pi? The Pi2 is much quicker and doesn't need overclocking to get any sort of performance.

Yeah I was thinking of getting the pi2, but I don't think it supports the acestream streams. Something to do with the acestream version / arm engine or something.
I run KODI on my Pi2, It was that good I bought another for the downstairs TV.

Anyone on Pi 1 that says it's slow, try it on a Pi2... its instant and cheap as chips, less than £30 delivered (Plus a micro SD Card)

Also, the model B cases fit the Pi 2 no problem.
joemaries

I recommend tutorials by Sean pook or if you fancy a laugh watch this guy … I recommend tutorials by Sean pook or if you fancy a laugh watch this guy https://m.youtube.com/?gl=GB#/watch?v=_GYXPm5fENw

Thanks for the link mate. Will have to take out some time to get my head round everything.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions