Streets of Rage 4 launches today on Nintendo Switch, PS4, PC and Xbox One

Deal editor63
Posted 30th Apr
It's absolutely crazy to think that it's been 26 years since Streets of Rage 3 was released on Sega Mega Drive

3452957.jpg
The 4th and highly anticipated instalment will finally release today on Nintendo Switch, PS4, PC and Xbox One and has been brought to us by Dotemu, Lizardcube (Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap) and Guard Crush Games.

The reviews for the game are coming in thick and fast and they're hitting some absolutely impressive numbers. Here's a selection of the one's I've seen so far.

It's obviously been a long time coming and many of us will be looking to pick up the game today, so with a massive thanks to @y0j1380 , @MUFCristiano and @jarjarmustdie , these are the best prices available at the time of writing.

Streets of Rage 4 is also available on Steam and Gog with a 10% launch discount.

• The comeback of the legendary Streets of Rage series.
  • Beautiful graphics fully hand-drawn animated by the studio behind Wonder Boy: The Dragon’s Trap.
  • Clean up Wood Oak City by yourself or with another friend online!
  • For the very first time, team up to 4 people offline to take the city back!
  • Classic gameplay enhanced with brand-new mechanics.
  • Soundtrack by a wide all-star line up of world-class musicians.
  • Braised chicken everywhere.
  • A dozen former Streets of Rage characters unlockable and playable in their original pixel versions.
  • Play with the music of the previous Streets of Rage games.
  • 12 unique stages.
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

Top comments
My girlfriend 8pm "you can play it for an hour, then I'm having normal TV on. I don't see what the fuss is about"

Gf 810pm "......did you say there's a two player option?...."

Gf 820 " DID YOU SEE THAT??! I PUNCHED HIM RIGHT IN THE FACE HAHAHA"

10/10
chunky30/04/2020 19:13

Needs more stages and dodge/block.

One step at a time, imo. If they changed too much from 2/3 people would be upset. As it is, it's a great sequel on all fronts even if they play it a bit safe.

Honestly the fact they didn't mess up a sequel to one of the most beloved games of an entire generation is quite an achievement.
Edited by: "MoleUK" 30th Apr
63 Comments
40587566-wtrnX.jpgMy review
Is it our now or tonight at midnight?
DigitalKnight30/04/2020 10:22

Is it our now or tonight at midnight?

It's launched on PlayStation 4 and Switch. The PC version from Gog.com is also available, Steam will most likely hit at 5/6pm.

The Xbox Store AU is allowing a download, we're awaiting the UK drop.
BuzzDuraband30/04/2020 10:24

It's launched on PlayStation 4 and Switch. The PC version from Gog.com is …It's launched on PlayStation 4 and Switch. The PC version from Gog.com is also available, Steam will most likely hit at 5/6pm.The Xbox Store AU is allowing a download, we're awaiting the UK drop.

I was gonna say it’s not in Xbox yet bloody typical! Can’t wait to play though what’s your Xbox gamer tag buzz?
DigitalKnight30/04/2020 10:32

I was gonna say it’s not in Xbox yet bloody typical! Can’t wait to play tho …I was gonna say it’s not in Xbox yet bloody typical! Can’t wait to play though what’s your Xbox gamer tag buzz?

Same as on here, but do be aware my kids use it more than I do if you add me - so no nudes, please
BuzzDuraband30/04/2020 10:35

Same as on here, but do be aware my kids use it more than I do if you add …Same as on here, but do be aware my kids use it more than I do if you add me - so no nudes, please

Lol mine is TAGBOOMER will add you
Waiting patiently for it to appear on Gamepass. Cheers Buzz.
DEALS4EVA30/04/2020 12:29

Waiting patiently for it to appear on Gamepass. Cheers Buzz.

Search it in the store, you can download it that way with Gamepass
Woohoo, corkscrew kick
Just download it Buzz you should of posted this as a deal it’s awesome 👏
Just done 10 stages on xbox, great soundtrack, great playability but we have just had 3 player offline and it's very very cramped and friendly fire is a bit of a pain as we're always hitting each other..

Oh and there's no block or dodge available which would have been amazing!

Other than that what a flashback to my youth, one of my top 10 games franchises of all. Time.

This was a great addition early on! But of retro Sor2 thrown in! 40592460-ZxD8C.jpg
Edited by: "moneybanks14" 30th Apr
moneybanks1430/04/2020 16:26

Just done 10 stages on xbox, great soundtrack, great playability but we …Just done 10 stages on xbox, great soundtrack, great playability but we have just had 3 player offline and it's very very cramped and friendly fire is a bit of a pain as we're always hitting each other..Oh and there's no block or dodge available which would have been amazing! Other than that what a flashback to my youth, one of my top 10 games franchises of all. Time. This was a great addition early on! But of retro Sor2 thrown in! [Image]

Wow thanks Money
Can you play online cross platform?
I completed the story really quickly in Easy & Normal Modes in 3 Characters.

Only 12 stages which surprised me. But was still a fun flashback to being 13 again in 1993.
chunky30/04/2020 19:13

One step at a time, imo. If they changed too much from 2/3 people would be upset. As it is, it's a great sequel on all fronts even if they play it a bit safe.

Honestly the fact they didn't mess up a sequel to one of the most beloved games of an entire generation is quite an achievement.
MoleUK30/04/2020 19:18

One step at a time, imo. If they changed too much from 2/3 people would be …One step at a time, imo. If they changed too much from 2/3 people would be upset. As it is, it's a great sequel on all fronts even if they play it a bit safe.Honestly the fact they didn't mess up a sequel to one of the most beloved games of an entire generation is quite an achievement.

I was gonna say this. I was kind of hoping it would be deeper but then at the same time, it feels just like a direct sequel so I’m loving it!!
rs_tigerblade30/04/2020 19:19

I was gonna say this. I was kind of hoping it would be deeper but then at …I was gonna say this. I was kind of hoping it would be deeper but then at the same time, it feels just like a direct sequel so I’m loving it!!

Assuming it sells well and gets greenlit for a sequel, they'll probably take more risks the next time.

They really did nail the atmosphere and gameplay. Love the addition of air-juggles and adding in star specials from the first game.

Hated the initial trailer given the way it looked, but the hand-drawn artstyle is beautiful now that they've tweaked the lighting etc. And this is legit a perfect game for the Switch.
MoleUK30/04/2020 19:21

Assuming it sells well and gets greenlit for a signal, they'll probably …Assuming it sells well and gets greenlit for a signal, they'll probably take more risks the next time.They really did nail the atmosphere and gameplay. Love the addition of air-juggles and adding in star specials from the first game.Hated the initial trailer given the way it looked, but the hand-drawn artstyle is beautiful now that they've tweaked the lighting etc. And this is legit a perfect game for the Switch.

Completely agree, the original artwork actually completely put me off!
happy to have it on gamepass:) I hate that the switch doesn’t have a dpad.
rs_tigerblade30/04/2020 19:22

Completely agree, the original artwork actually completely put me …Completely agree, the original artwork actually completely put me off!happy to have it on gamepass:) I hate that the switch doesn’t have a dpad.

If you don't have giant hands I can recommend the 8bitdo SN30 pro. Or if you prefer the Playstation controller the SN30 Pro+ is imo the best all-round controller for the switch. You can also get the mayflash adapter or the 8bitdo one to use 360 or PS4 controllers, as well as others.

For playing in handheld, there's the hori split pro pad as well. All good options with excellent d-pads.
Is this an advertising site now? This isn’t a deal, and this isn’t a gaming forum, it’s a deal forum.
iambalrog30/04/2020 19:28

Is this an advertising site now? This isn’t a deal, and this isn’t a gam …Is this an advertising site now? This isn’t a deal, and this isn’t a gaming forum, it’s a deal forum.

This is in discussions, a very much a trending topic across various forums, sites and with our members.

We push various trending topics to highlights and various members post them.

Thanks.
Edited by: "Dan_82" 30th Apr
It's live now but just a heads up the pricing globally is all over the place. Going from about £6 in South Africa, to nearly £30 in Europe :/
It's fun to play but I have a few gripes:

No rushing slows the gameplay down and slow characters like Axel really suffer. Playing with Floyd is near impossible I thought. They really made Axel a weakling to.
Some enemies are really really cheap and the fact that you can't knock them down whilst they're doing their move.
The new soundtrack aint all that. Better to play with retro soundtrack.
Lack of other innovation e.g. branching paths and different endings.
New storyline was a bit silly (although admit that's not the strong point anyways).
Overall a good game but streets of rage remake was much better I feel.
MoleUK30/04/2020 19:24

If you don't have giant hands I can recommend the 8bitdo SN30 pro. Or if …If you don't have giant hands I can recommend the 8bitdo SN30 pro. Or if you prefer the Playstation controller the SN30 Pro+ is imo the best all-round controller for the switch. You can also get the mayflash adapter or the 8bitdo one to use 360 or PS4 controllers, as well as others.For playing in handheld, there's the hori split pro pad as well. All good options with excellent d-pads.

I’ll check out the hori split pro, no point in getting multiplats for me on switch if it’s not going to be portable!:)
edit: maybe not, that thing makes the switch the size of a car lol
Edited by: "rs_tigerblade" 30th Apr
Downloading now. How many how’s did I waste on sor1 and 2. Not so much 3 but played through them all multiple times

Is this an advertising site now? This isn’t a deal, and this isn’t a gam …Is this an advertising site now? This isn’t a deal, and this isn’t a gaming forum, it’s a deal forum.

Kind of see your point, but Free on games pass.. I might have missed that it was on there.. at least for a while, so it's a deal for me.
Be aware, if you change region on the Switch, you will lose all gift card balance you might have. I just did this and lost £13 😔
rs_tigerblade30/04/2020 19:43

I’ll check out the hori split pro, no point in getting multiplats for me o …I’ll check out the hori split pro, no point in getting multiplats for me on switch if it’s not going to be portable!:) edit: maybe not, that thing makes the switch the size of a car lol

Ya it's more for hand-held in the house rather than carting it round. Can't be topped for hand-held play though.

its streets of rage though so its a big deal... its part of our culture its in a vocabulary. give this one a pass please.
micdee30/04/2020 20:10

its streets of rage though so its a big deal... its part of our culture …its streets of rage though so its a big deal... its part of our culture its in a vocabulary. give this one a pass please.

This one is tripe. It appears to have gone all Japanese anime/manga style.

The original nailed it. 2 and 3 were animated a bit like street fighter 2. This just appears closer to 2 and 3 than the original.
rs_tigerblade30/04/2020 19:22

Completely agree, the original artwork actually completely put me …Completely agree, the original artwork actually completely put me off!happy to have it on gamepass:) I hate that the switch doesn’t have a dpad.

This is a good alternative too :-

40596032-dqaWR.jpg
amazon.co.uk/dp/…GCW

Drawbacks are it can only be used in portable mode can't be detached and use as a separate controller as it draws power from the switch, the minus and capture button are rubber, instead of plastic as the original and no rumble.

Plus point so far for me is that no drifting on the thumb stick and obviously the D-Pad.
Waited too long for this one to release, curious to check it out.
How much on PS4?
Sparkz2k1630/04/2020 20:15

This one is tripe. It appears to have gone all Japanese anime/manga style. …This one is tripe. It appears to have gone all Japanese anime/manga style. The original nailed it. 2 and 3 were animated a bit like street fighter 2. This just appears closer to 2 and 3 than the original.

Soul of the party has arrived!

You're entitled to your view, but the consensus is: you're wrong.
Foxeh30/04/2020 20:01

Be aware, if you change region on the Switch, you will lose all gift card …Be aware, if you change region on the Switch, you will lose all gift card balance you might have. I just did this and lost £13 😔

I’ve got a sedate profile just for changing eShop regions.
Didn't expect this to appear on GamePass, fantastic. Great nostalgic memories. Just don't play if your missus is nagging your ear
Zan sure gained some weight...
Do you get any bonus content for buying now on Switch eshop? Or is this likely to be discounted in the Black Friday Switch eshop sales?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions