Groups

Strike at UK airports from 23rd Dec

Not very good for those that need to travel home for christmas!

bbc.co.uk/new…283

30 Comments

SuperEd

Thanks for this - not much info on link above at yet but sky has this.

More than 1,500 check-in staff, baggage handlers and cargo crew at 18 airports will strike for 48 hours from December 23.

Members of Unite employed by Swissport will walk out on December 23 and 24 at Aberdeen, Belfast, Birmingham, Bristol, Bournemouth, Cardiff, Doncaster, East Midlands, Edinburgh, Gatwick, Glasgow, Heathrow, Leeds/Bradford, Luton, Manchester, Newcastle, Southampton and Stansted

news.sky.com/sto…589

if the company paid a reasonable wage they wouldn't need to strike! fully support.

happydays1979

if the company paid a reasonable wage they wouldn't need to strike! fully … if the company paid a reasonable wage they wouldn't need to strike! fully support.

Sure, funny how there are more strikes in the run up to Christmas.

Very true .. Soon have a government minister on £70k a year + expenses + second house allowances , who employs various relatives as researchers , saying it's shocking and unnecessary for people on minimum wage ( or not far off) to strike .

For maximum effect its what they need to do, just bloody pay them! bottom of the ladder always getting shafted at least they have a union.

They will have no sympathy from me if I can't get back to Glasgow for Christmas. I usually fully support strikes but not during this time period.

Minimum wage at 7.20 is bad but 6.20 was insubstantial. Raise it to £10 and let people get by.

2minutenoodles

Minimum wage at 7.20 is bad but 6.20 was insubstantial. Raise it to £10 … Minimum wage at 7.20 is bad but 6.20 was insubstantial. Raise it to £10 and let people get by.

And by doing so, the employers NI increases. So that extra £2.80 an hour costs the employer £3.14 an hour in reality. Not to mention corporation tax at 20%. The employee gets benefits galore (holiday pay, SSP, maternity/paternity.....) whilst the employer is shafted at every turn.

Drooler

And by doing so, the employers NI increases. So that extra £2.80 an hour … And by doing so, the employers NI increases. So that extra £2.80 an hour costs the employer £3.14 an hour in reality. Not to mention corporation tax at 20%. The employee gets benefits galore (holiday pay, SSP, maternity/paternity.....) whilst the employer is shafted at every turn.

Minimum wage in Australia is over £10 an hour and they are doing just fine. The economy adjusts, people with more money buy more.

2minutenoodles

Minimum wage in Australia is over £10 an hour and they are doing just … Minimum wage in Australia is over £10 an hour and they are doing just fine. The economy adjusts, people with more money buy more.

That will just serve to drive costs up ridiculously and push prices through the roof.

The economy will adjust, you're completely right. And you'll be back to square one again after it does.

This isn't very upsetting for my family my son potentially won't get to see his dad at Christmas as he is working in Egypt and he is due to fly back on the 23rd. He hasn't been home since October. Honestly I don't sympathise. I bet they are getting more than a care assistant working on Christmas Day. They have picked the worst time the only people truely affected are the customers who now may not get home.

If you don't like your job or remuneration, get another job, there are plenty of people ready to fill it.

nbgrobbo

If you don't like your job or remuneration, get another job, there are … If you don't like your job or remuneration, get another job, there are plenty of people ready to fill it.

​Immigrants..oh wait

Big companies have it made in this country . Pay crap wages , no extra for unsocial hours , no decent pensions , zero hours contracts etc etc .. Then people go on strike and the public slate the workers .

Oh dear. More unskilled, poorly paid workers bringing this great country to a standstill. Perhaps these under appreciated workers need to be recognised by the elitists rather than lambasted.

stuarthanley

Oh dear. More unskilled, poorly paid workers bringing this great country … Oh dear. More unskilled, poorly paid workers bringing this great country to a standstill. Perhaps these under appreciated workers need to be recognised by the elitists rather than lambasted.

Nah , my heart bleeds for the elitists missing out on the skiing in the Alps .. Heartbreaking innit.

plodging

Nah , my heart bleeds for the elitists missing out on the skiing in the … Nah , my heart bleeds for the elitists missing out on the skiing in the Alps .. Heartbreaking innit.

Or the bloke working on a production line who has saved for 2 years to take his kids to Disneyland Paris. Yeah, screw him.

nbgrobbo

Or the bloke working on a production line who has saved for 2 years to … Or the bloke working on a production line who has saved for 2 years to take his kids to Disneyland Paris. Yeah, screw him.

Or the poor bloke working nights unloading cases from planes on virtually minimum wage day in day out then offered 4.65% rise over 3 years , with inflation forecast to rise substantially , or cabin crew doing the same job for less money than fellow workers . Employers , backed by the government , are driving through contract changes , it's no coincidence there's so much industrial action across many workplaces ,deliberate policy .

cherylbrookes

This isn't very upsetting for my family my son potentially won't get to … This isn't very upsetting for my family my son potentially won't get to see his dad at Christmas as he is working in Egypt and he is due to fly back on the 23rd. He hasn't been home since October. Honestly I don't sympathise. I bet they are getting more than a care assistant working on Christmas Day. They have picked the worst time the only people truely affected are the customers who now may not get home.

If you're going to strike, you do it when it has the most impact.

Plenty of airlines dont use swissport anyway - at Glasgow its always Menzies that Easyjet use as an example

Sound like Brexit all over again aganist the establishment (employer) , bring back control. Workers' control have gone to the EU (Employer Union). The angry have-nots have had enough?! Where is their fair share. £350 million a week has gone to EHQ.
    Edited by: "splender" 16th Dec 2016

nbgrobbo

Or the bloke working on a production line who has saved for 2 years to … Or the bloke working on a production line who has saved for 2 years to take his kids to Disneyland Paris. Yeah, screw him.

Your kids may grow up in a harsh future environment as adults when they work like lackeys at command of AI robots and they yearn dad's generation had done something about it and all dad had cared for was his holiday. Have you seen Elysium?!

stuarthanley

Oh dear. More unskilled, poorly paid workers bringing this great country … Oh dear. More unskilled, poorly paid workers bringing this great country to a standstill. Perhaps these under appreciated workers need to be recognised by the elitists rather than lambasted.

Better soon than later, reading comments here as well as Google cars, Amazon drones, Uber cars ...reminds me of Elysium and such like futuristic films where AI robots will command humanoids like lackeys in 2020.
    Planes are already autopilot 95% of the time, when baggage is automated with AI robots, plus complete automation in ticketing...well the industry leaders need to bang their heads together and come up with a Human Charter as a lot of humans cannot compete with machines.

I heard somewhere that its going to be on the 31st December don't what airports are affected but Luton is..anyone else heard this?

nbgrobbo

If you don't like your job or remuneration, get another job, there are … If you don't like your job or remuneration, get another job, there are plenty of people ready to fill it.

Yet another person wish it on others that he does not wish on his children when they grow up. Cost cutting means two things to the English have-not, ever increasing numbers in automation and AI:-
    1/ products and services, export them to very cheap countries with appalling conditions.
    2/ for products and services not outsourcable, import the very cheap appalling conditions for home workers to right here.

stuarthanley

If you're going to strike, you do it when it has the most impact.

They should strike when it hits the business more than its customers, and honestly striking is like a teenager storming out the house saying I'm leaving. It doesn't have impact really. Look how often strikes go on for repeatedly trying to get an few pennies and hour. Just go work in a less demanding job if it's too much or go get skilled and earn more. It's the way it is. Don't strike and stop families having the only time of the year they can actually spend together taken away. It's utterly appalling and selfish.
    Edited by: "cherylbrookes" 16th Dec 2016

happydays1979

if the company paid a reasonable wage they wouldn't need to strike! … if the company paid a reasonable wage they wouldn't need to strike! fully support.

happydays1979

if the company paid a reasonable wage they wouldn't need to strike! fully … if the company paid a reasonable wage they wouldn't need to strike! fully support.

cherylbrookes

This isn't very upsetting for my family my son potentially won't get to … This isn't very upsetting for my family my son potentially won't get to see his dad at Christmas as he is working in Egypt and he is due to fly back on the 23rd. He hasn't been home since October. Honestly I don't sympathise. I bet they are getting more than a care assistant working on Christmas Day. They have picked the worst time the only people truely affected are the customers who now may not get home.

First they came for the baggage handlers in May, and I did not speak out—
    Because I was not travelling in May.

Then they came for the cabin crew in September, and I did not speak out—
    Because I was not travelling in September.

Then they came for the ground staff in February, and I did not speak out—
    Because I was not travelling in February.

Then I came to airport in December—and there was no one left to speak to me.

Banned

A good time for being a drug smuggler

cherylbrookes

They should strike when it hits the business more than its customers, and … They should strike when it hits the business more than its customers, and honestly striking is like a teenager storming out the house saying I'm leaving. It doesn't have impact really. Look how often strikes go on for repeatedly trying to get an few pennies and hour. Just go work in a less demanding job if it's too much or go get skilled and earn more. It's the way it is. Don't strike and stop families having the only time of the year they can actually spend together taken away. It's utterly appalling and selfish.

That's how we ended up with millions of migrants doing care work for minimum wage .. Try moaning at companies paying minimum wage to guys shifting tons of luggage in unsocial hours or people looking after your poorly loved ones for minimum wage because successive governments have slashed the care provision budgets.

cherylbrookes

The worst that will happen is cabin luggage only. Shouldn't affect the vast majority of flights.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Entitled to overtime to be included in your holiday pay36
      2. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17416146
      3. Supermarket may have sold Sausages & Other Pork products may have been inf…1116
      4. How dangerous is Donald trump?32165

See more discussions