Strike Dates for December / Early January - Including Royal Mail, Trains, Teachers & more

Hi folks, i hope you all had a good weekend As now in early December, there's quite a few strikes/ballots happening from various sectors, so thought i'd collate some info on what/when they are to help you avoid them as best as possible. Likely some will be caught up in them but at least you can try plan ahead, book they day off work, if possible etc.

Whether you agree with them or not, i've tried to list who's striking, what date(s) and most have a link out to a page where you can read more. as/when strikes get either cancelled, added, updated,or just moved, i'll update. If i miss anything, please shout and i'll review. Thank you.

Usually the RMT Train companies that will be affected are:

GTR (including Thameslink, Southern, Great Northern and Gatwick Express)
Avanti West Coast
Chiltern Railways
CrossCountry
C2C
East Midlands Railway
Great Western Railway
Greater Anglia
London North Eastern Railway
Northern Trains
Southeastern
South Western
Transpennine Express
West Midlands Trains
Heathrow Express and London Northwestern Railway are also expected to be affected.

Although check below and/or on your local service for more info (Some are still assessing the strike impact and will announce information 'soon')

Dates:

December 5: Homelessness charity Shelter’s staff start ‘unprecedented’ two-week strike until 16th December

December 5: Members of the Fire Brigades Union start voting on strikes over pay.

December 7 and 8: Members of the Scottish Secondary Teachers Association and NASUWT will strike in Scotland.

December 9, 11, 14, 15, 23 and 24: More strikes by Royal Mail workers.

December 12: Strike ballot among members of the Royal College of Midwives and Chartered Society of Physiotherapy closes.

December 13/14: 48-hour strike by Rail, Maritime and Transport (RMT) union members on Network Rail and 14 train operators. Various train services affected.

December 13/14: 48 hour strike by members of the Transport Salaried Staffs Association (TSSA) at Avanti West Coast and start of other forms of industrial action at other train companies and Network Rail.

December 13: Civil servants in the Public and Commercial Services union start a month of industrial action.

December 15: Members of the Royal College of Nursing strike.

Royal College of Nursing members working on Agenda for Change contracts at the following employers will take strike action on December 15 and 20, likely you'll start seeing cancellations for 'routine' appointments but your local hospital should contact you, if you're affected.

England

East Midlands Kettering General Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
East Midlands NHS Nottingham and Nottinghamshire ICB
East Midlands Northamptonshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust
East Midlands Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust
East Midlands Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust
Eastern Cambridge University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
Eastern Cambridgeshire and Peterborough NHS Foundation Trust
Eastern Cambridgeshire Community Services NHS Trust
Eastern Hertfordshire Community NHS Trust
Eastern NHS Hertfordshire and West Essex ICB
Eastern Royal Papworth Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
London Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children NHS Foundation

Trust

London Guys and St Thomas NHS Foundation Trust
London Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust
London NHS North Central London ICB
London Royal Marsden NHS Foundation Trust

North West Alder Hey Children’s NHS Foundation Trust
North West Health Education England
North West Liverpool Heart and Chest Hospital NHS Found Trust
North West Liverpool University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
North West Liverpool Women’s NHS Foundation Trust
North West Mersey Care NHS Foundation Trust
North West The Clatterbridge Cancer Centre NHS Found Trust
North West The Walton Centre NHS Foundation Trust
Northern Gateshead Health NHS Foundation Trust

Northern Northumbria Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust

Northern The Newcastle Upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
South East Oxford Health NHS Foundation Trust
South East Oxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
South East Royal Berkshire NHS Foundation Trust
South West Devon Partnership NHS Trust
South West Gloucestershire Health and Care NHS Foundation Trust
South West Gloucestershire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
South West Great Western Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
South West NHS Bath, North East Somerset, Swindon and Wiltshire ICB

(BSW Together)

South West NHS Devon ICB (One Devon)
South West NHS Gloucestershire ICB (One Gloucestershire)
South West North Bristol NHS Trust
South West Royal Devon University Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust
South West Royal United Hospitals Bath NHS Foundation Trust
South West Torbay and South Devon NHS Foundation Trust
South West University Hospitals Bristol and Weston NHS Foundation

Trust

South West University Hospitals Plymouth NHS Trust
West Midlands Birmingham Women's and Children's NHS Foundation Trust
West Midlands Herefordshire and Worcestershire Health and Care NHS

Trust

West Midlands NHS Birmingham and Solihull ICB (BSol ICB)
West Midlands The Royal Orthopaedic Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
West Midlands University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust
West Midlands Worcestershire Acute Hospitals NHS Trust
Yorkshire & Humber Bradford Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
Yorkshire & Humber Leeds Community Healthcare NHS Trust
Yorkshire & Humber NHS England
Yorkshire & Humber The Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust

Wales

Wales Cardiff and Vale University Health Board
Wales Powys Teaching Local Health Board
Wales Welsh Ambulance Services NHS Trust Headquarters
Wales Hywel Dda University Health Board
Wales Swansea Bay University Health Board
Wales Cwm Taf Morgannwg University Health Board
Wales Betsi Cadwaladr University Local Health Board
Wales Velindre NHS Trust
Wales Public Health Wales
Wales Health Education and Improvement Wales Health Authority
Wales NHS Wales Shared Services Partnership
Wales Digital Health and Care Wales

Northern Ireland

Northern Ireland Northern Ireland Practice and Education Council
Northern Ireland Southern Health and Social Care Trust
Northern Ireland Western Health and Social Care Trust
Northern Ireland Belfast Health and Social Care Trust
Northern Ireland Business Services Organisation
Northern Ireland Regulation & Quality Improvement Authority
Northern Ireland Northern Ireland Blood Transfusion Service
Northern Ireland Public Health Agency
Northern Ireland Northern Health and Social Care Trust
Northern Ireland South Eastern Health and Social Care Trust
Northern Ireland Northern Ireland Ambulance Service

December 16/17: Another 48-hour RMT strike. (See above) Various train services affected

December 16/17: Another 48 hour strike by TSSA members at Avanti West Coast.

December 16: RMT members working as security guards on Eurostar strike.

December 17: TSSA members at Avanti West Coast and c2c strike.

December 18: Another strike by Eurostar security staff.

December 18: RMT members on Network Rail and 14 train operators start overtime ban, until January 2. Various train services affected

December 20: Another strike by RCN members. (See 15th December for Locations)

December 20: More than 10,000 ambulance workers in England and Wales to strike on two days in December. More than 10,000 ambulance workers across nine trusts in England and Wales will strike on 21 and 28 December, the GMB union has confirmed.

The GMB, Unison and Unite unions are coordinating industrial action in a row over pay.

The ambulance workers will strike on 21 December and be joined by paramedics, emergency care assistants, call handlers and other staff on 28 December.

The walkouts will affect the following trusts:

• South West Ambulance Service
• South East Coast Ambulance Service
• North West Ambulance Service
• South Central Ambulance Service
• North East Ambulance Service
• East Midlands Ambulance Service
• West Midlands Ambulance Service
• Welsh Ambulance Service
• Yorkshire Ambulance Service

December 22/23: Another strike by Eurostar security staff.

December 22/23: Railway cleaners across the country in the RMT union strike.

December 23rd - 26th Border Force workers across UK airports and ports will take strike action on key dates in December as its union calls for the government to come back to the negotiating table.

Strikes will take place between 23rd and 26th December, and from 28th to 31st December, impacting Birmingham, Cardiff, Gatwick, Glasgow, Heathrow, Manchester airports, as well as the Port of Newhaven.

24th Dec - 27th Dec - RMT members will stage an extra walk-out on Network Rail from 6pm on Christmas Eve until 6am on December 27. Two 48-hour strikes next week – on December 13,14, 16 and 17 – will definitely go ahead, the union also confirmed today.

26th and 27th Dec - TSSA announces fresh CrossCountry rail strike Members of the Transport

Salaried Staffs Association at CrossCountry will strike on Boxing Day and December 27.

28 to 31st December - Further Border Force Strikes (See December 23rd for details)

December 31: Another railway cleaners' strike.

January 3/4: Another 48-hour RMT strike. Various train services affected

January 5th: All of UK’s rail companies to stage walk out on January 5

January 6/7: Another 48-hour RMT strike. Various train services affected

January 9: Junior doctors start voting on strikes.

Other threads, you may find useful:

Xmas TV specials & Movies, including 'Big Releases' + Free To Air and Streaming Services e.g Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime, Sky & More

Christmas Extended Returns 2022 Policies For Retailers

Christmas Delivery Cut Off Dates - Last Order Dates for Christmas 2022
Community Updates
Misc
New Comment

106 Comments

sorted by
  1. Avatar
    I'm with the people striking for a fair, living wage. Why should they show any restraint when corporate greed is both rampant & unchecked. Why should they 'do the decent thing' when so many people associated with this awful government are amoral, venal & demonstrably corrupt. If this winter of discontent precipitates an early GE, so much the better & the sooner we can get back to some kind of normality.
    Like these strikes will change anything. Bosses didn't care and still don't care. With Royal Mail people will permanently move to other companies at the end 🤷‍♂️ It disrupts other people lives too and their travel to work etc. Not being able to travel to see your family over Christmas is disgraceful.
  2. Avatar
    Solidarity with the workers.
    erm no.. its getting to a point were the public will turn against them. my company arent paying me 15% so why should these workers demand that..

heathrow on stirke 16th for 72 hours..

erm no.. its getting to a point were the public will turn against them. my company arent paying me 15% so why should these workers demand that..

heathrow on stirke 16th for 72 hours.. (edited)
  3. Avatar
    Let's all go on strike till we get a 15% rise! No wonder this country is in such a state!
  4. Avatar
    15% pay rise is unrealistic, I think some of the organisations involved have been offered between 7% and 9% which is above the private sector pay rises, I can imagine most will probably accept that rather than continue to strike and miss so many days of pay. People's operations being cancelled is going to be the real kicker with the massive backlog as it is.
    If you have an issue with the NHS backlog, why are you siding with the government, who are responsible for it,
    on the issue of strikes? 7-9% doesn’t even cover inflation - so is a real terms pay cut. It’s only unrealistic if people like you constantly undermine the strike.
  5. Avatar
    Wow, some work has gone into this thread. Well done. Heat from me.
    Author
    Shame no heat but thanks for the comment!
  6. Avatar
    RM strikes are disgraceful. They have already turned down a 9% payrise.

Postie said to me this morning that the depot down here is overflowing with mail and yet they're having another two days off this week.

People are reliant on mail and this will just force people to look into alternatives putting the company and workers jobs at risk.

The only way I get a payrise is by moving jobs. I have never had anything near a 9% payrise, 1 or 2% at the very most.
    Its not 9% pay rise is it.....thats the only thing u get from Dailyfail headline.
    Its 5% then NEXT YEAR its 4% with all there Terms and conditions being ripped up....with more weekend and night shift..and displacement and redundancy....if it was me i wont take that.
    Power to the unions for standing up for the members.
  7. Avatar
    its called self destruction a lot of good customers are loosing they businesses action was badly planed i need to look for an alternative courier its sad to see the royalmail self destruct
    And refunding customers left right and centre for undelivered goods which may get delivered weeks later. Are those people then going to pay back the business? I doubt it.

Ramifications all across the UK with unions not knowing when to back down or see the bigger picture.

I bet Evri, Yodel and DPD are having a field day.
  8. Avatar
    I think for Royal Mail it's going to affect them the worst, they've got so much competition out there and people are primarily concerned with parcels these days. I don't think a Sunday service is needed in my opinion, the Saturday postal service is enough, but I can imagine their terms and conditions in their contracts may need updating to better suit business and customer needs.
  9. Avatar
    Great thread! Nice to have it all in one place.
    Author
    Thanks @Rmcstar , was getting a little lost with different threads/dates!
  10. Avatar

Looks like goverment intervening in talks and stopping company making a deal....hiding behind the strikes and blaming unions....typical toffs.

(edited)
  11. Avatar
    rmt.org.uk/new…er/
    Network rail staff reject company offer....what was the point putting the offer to the staff....this was always going to be rejected...this was just a delay tactic from Network rail....Rmt members have spoken.
    theguardian.com/uk-…ead (edited)
  12. Avatar
    Lecturers in higher education and nurses (edited)
    Author
    On strike? If so, which dates and i'll check? TY!
  13. Avatar
    theguardian.com/soc…ike

"Homelessness charity Shelter’s staff start ‘unprecedented’ two-week strike"

Starting today
    Author
    Damn. Cheers @Gollywood , will update shortly
  14. Avatar
    It's the most wonderful time of the year yeah right
  15. Avatar
    Author
    More than 10,000 ambulance workers in England and Wales to strike on two days in December

More than 10,000 ambulance workers across nine trusts in England and Wales will strike on 21 and 28 December, the GMB union has confirmed.

The GMB, Unison and Unite unions are coordinating industrial action in a row over pay.

The ambulance workers will strike on 21 December and be joined by paramedics, emergency care assistants, call handlers and other staff on 28 December. (edited)
  16. Avatar
    Do we even need border force workers? That is a serious question by the way.
  17. Avatar
    Unfortunately it’s looking like the 1970s again winter ofdiscontent etc it will get a reset before too long another ten years of high unemployment
  18. Avatar
    I'm waiting for something that was expected 5 days ago.
    Baby?
  19. Avatar
    Hello, I'm a teacher, my unions ballots are still open till Jan 13th, so we won't be striking up after then - I thought I heard 30th/31st...but I might have made that up...but, regardless - we will be striking.

Currently, it's not just teachers in education, but support staff and Heads teachers unions (which is the first time thats ever happened...they're having a shortage issue and squeezed budgets making it near impossible to keep things ticking over) are looking to also...it's unclear if they will happen at the same time or different days...I'd imagine all together.

But, even though the law has changed and supply staff could possibly cover striking staff - it wouldn't work...it would be a nightmare and also, many supply workers and agencies have come out and said they wouldn't working under those conditions either.

For what's it worth - I've seen a number of people who say 'well, I don't get that much now' - well - that's the problem, you deserve more it too.

Working, in terms of pay, shouldn't be a race to the bottom and arguing with someone else who's only two steps in front of you isn't the solution...its a distraction - the super rich love these kind of arguments - because it puts us against one another and distracts from them giving each other eye-watering amounts of money and then blaming us for inflation.

We all deserve more and I want to clear up another myth - asking for pay rise in line with inflation is unreasonable and won't happen.

Well - this government already gave one group a pay rise in October this year - The Members of Criminal Bar Association - they were award a pay rise of 15% - ABOVE INFLATION - they went on strike and it didn't take long at all and the government paid them appropriately - theguardian.com/law…ion

Don't let them trick you into blaming your neighbours for why you're getting a raw deal...it's not them...they're just struggling the same as you - solidarity all the way.
  20. Avatar
    What fustrates me about all the strikes is the amount that goes to the actual front-line workers. Why do the higher earners get the same percentage. (edited)
  21. Avatar
    Author
    Unite members accept pay offer and call off planned rail strike action

Members of Unite at Network Rail were set to join members of the Rail, Maritime and Transport union in taking action this week and again in January.

Members of Unite at Network Rail have accepted a pay offer and have called off planned industrial action.

They were set to join members of the Rail, Maritime and Transport union in taking action this week and again in January.

Members of the RMT were urged to reject the offer in a ballot which ended on Monday.

Unite national officer Harish Patel said: “Unite’s members have voted in favour of accepting an improved offer put forward by Network Rail.

“Industrial action by our members scheduled to take place over December and January will now not take place.”

Unite represents electrical control room operators. (edited)
  22. Avatar
    Author
    New Year new strikes: All of UK’s rail companies to stage walk out on January 5

The Associated Society of Locomotive Engineers and Firemen (Aslef) said today 15 rail companies will join picket lines in a long-standing dispute over pay.

Railroad companies affected include Avanti West Coast, Chiltern, CrossCountry, east Midlands Railway, GWR, Greater Anglia, GTR Great Northern Thameslink, LNER, Northern, Southeastern, Southern/Gatwick Express, SWR (depot drivers only), Island Line, TPE and West Midlands.
Top Merchants