Strike, Strike, Strike !! Fuel Prices

Found 17th Dec 2010
Strike, Strike, Strike !!

Do you think its time the UK public start taking action against the fuel prices at the pump??

The other day, my local was charging 127.9p for Diesel,

Do you not think something has to be done some time soon??

Back in 2000 when the fuel prices were .80p, we was happy to strike but why not now ?

45 Comments

not going to happen, cos nobody can afford to fill up their vehicles and drive to the refineries and blockade them.

Original Poster

garbage456

because we have no prices over fuel, just teh taxes, and just to make you … because we have no prices over fuel, just teh taxes, and just to make you happy on jan 1st fuel is going up 3.5p per litre due to 2 further taxes (these were set by labour not the cons)

Yeah, im aware that the price increase are due in the new year.

garbage456

because we have no prices over fuel, just teh taxes, and just to make you … because we have no prices over fuel, just teh taxes, and just to make you happy on jan 1st fuel is going up 3.5p per litre due to 2 further taxes (these were set by labour not the cons)

But quite happily continued by the ConDems who could have reversed the decision.

The only way to save on fuel tax is to travel less.

Filled up last night and was thinking about how short ago it was that I was paying about 70p, now almost double that!!! VAT going up too so it ain't ever going below a £/litre again?
Edited by: "Benjimoron" 17th Dec 2010

We should have protested years ago, but people would rather protest about poxy university fees.
Usually the fuel companies give a legitamate reason for a price increase, for example a bomb just went off on an oil rig, OPEC threatening supplies. Yet there is no good reason for these very high prices, apart from blatant profiteering...

then central heating oil has gone up from 47p to 70p in less than a month, assuming you can get it.

Seriously considering going electric once the new breed of electric cars start production.
Edited by: "Carley" 17th Dec 2010

I agree ... strike, strike, strike!
It's just beyond ridiculous now

lets pay students to protest for us..
give em a tenner every day..

English mentality:

These fuel prices are disgusting.
We shouldn't stand for it.
"Sorry sir, did you say anything?"
No, sorry. Pump number five please.
[Later]
"French protest over retirement age. Students protest over fees."
Idiots.

You have to ASK why the HGV drivers are doing nowt about this time???????????????
May be now is TIME 4 ACTION,next year is going to be hell,with the 20% etc,so something will have to give

Banned

OP is wrong really.

It was 125.5p in April 2007 and oil was $66 per barrel. Now its 127.9 and oil is $88 per barrel so cant see how the oil companies are screwing us any more.

Oil was $23 a barrel in 2000 so of course petrol is going to be around the 80p mark (tax is 57.9p per litre I believe)

Oil price history (Brent)

eia.doe.gov/dna…f=W

Banned

magough

I agree ... strike, strike, strike!It's just beyond ridiculous now

so you want the tankers to stop so the nation runs out of fuel - in winter!

Blinding idea lol

Banned

Carley

Seriously considering going electric once the new breed of electric cars … Seriously considering going electric once the new breed of electric cars start production.

I like the idea of those too.

DLM

I like the idea of those too.

Problem with one of those is the only last 2 hours in use, and they cost £5-8,000 in intial costs even after the goverments given that £5k allowance on them. They start at something like £20k for a small hatchback.

Banned

Adam2050

Problem with one of those is the only last 2 hours in use, and they cost … Problem with one of those is the only last 2 hours in use, and they cost £5-8,000 in intial costs even after the goverments given that £5k allowance on them. They start at something like £20k for a small hatchback.

We don't go far in our car.

So it would be idea for us.

Average UK price per litre of Diesel: 123.0

Average price per litre of Diesel across the below countries: 103.51

Austria 95.62
Belgium 101.22
Czech Republic 105.62
Denmark 114.57
Finland 100.03
France 107.68
Germany 106.92
Greece 111.25
Netherlands 106.75
Hungary 101.52
Ireland 105.9
Italy 105.9
Luxembourg 84.99
Estonia 101.22
Edited by: "spritey" 17th Dec 2010

DLM

We don't go far in our car.So it would be idea for us.

Huh @ intial outlay of anything up to 20k when a diesel hatchback is 10-12k even below that if your smart and does 60mpg plus. Really doesn't make enomic sense unless you driving stupid miles a year as there going to cost a bomb to fix intially as it's new tech.

Carley

Seriously considering going electric once the new breed of electric cars … Seriously considering going electric once the new breed of electric cars start production.

Yes but unless you do huge mileage (but have time to charge it), live in central London or work buys your car then it's never going to be viable. The Vauxhall Ampera will be £28,995 after government subsidies. Thats twice the price of an equivalent sized Astra.

For most people you would be better off with an LPG converted car if doing reasonable mileage or stick with diesel.

Banned

Adam2050

Problem with one of those is the only last 2 hours in use, and they cost … Problem with one of those is the only last 2 hours in use, and they cost £5-8,000 in intial costs even after the goverments given that £5k allowance on them. They start at something like £20k for a small hatchback.

We don't go far in our car.So it would be idea for us.[/quote]Huh @ intial outlay of anything up to 20k when a diesel hatchback is 10-12k even below that if your smart and does 60mpg plus. Really doesn't make enomic sense unless you driving stupid miles a year as there going to cost a bomb to fix intially as it's new tech.[/quote]

I mean the charge will be fine.

Banned

If we could get our car to run on chicken poop.

We would be quids in.

I live 2.5 miles from where i work

In a town where everything is within 1-3 miles drive.

I used to live 30+ miles from where i worked a few years ago.

I’m incredibly thankful that i hardly ever need to goto the petrol station anymore

DLM

If we could get our car to run on chicken poop.We would be quids in.

You can if you don't use huge amounts. Plenty on the net about manure to methane conversion.

The electric cars take 6 hours to charge.

They want us to stay on fossil fuels, hence the massive price of the cars, Hybrids are more effective atm.

Mad Max - it's gonna happen.

spritey

Mad Max - it's gonna happen.

As long as hollywood don't try and make the thing into a film I don't care.

Banned

GAVINLEWISHUKD

You can if you don't use huge amounts. Plenty on the net about manure to … You can if you don't use huge amounts. Plenty on the net about manure to methane conversion.

Great news.

Just hanging some small buckets on my hens tail feathers (_;)

Speaking of economical cars.
Has anyone heard of the Porsche 918?

It can do 0-60 in under 3.2 seconds
Top speed is over 200mph
More than 700bhp

Oh and it does 94 miles to the gallon.

Now you must be thinking "Well it must look **** then?"
Well, not exactly.....

http://www.climateconcerns.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Porsche-918-hybrid-electric.jpg

Edited by: "DarkKnight" 17th Dec 2010

spritey

Average UK price per litre of Diesel: 123.0Average price per litre of … Average UK price per litre of Diesel: 123.0Average price per litre of Diesel across the below countries: 103.51Austria 95.62Belgium 101.22Czech Republic 105.62Denmark 114.57Finland 100.03France 107.68Germany 106.92Greece 111.25Netherlands 106.75Hungary 101.52Ireland 105.9Italy 105.9Luxembourg 84.99Estonia 101.22

i thought that we are supposed to be in europe,so why are we paying more for ours?....all it will do is fuel another winter of discontent! (i remember the last one,wasn`t good!)

Banned

the government will never make fossil fuel cheap because we have signed up to cut our carbon emmisions, it would be suicidal , the fines imposed if we don't meet the agreed levels are astronomical, so get on your bikes !

csiman

OP is wrong really.It was 125.5p in April 2007 and oil was $66 per … OP is wrong really.It was 125.5p in April 2007 and oil was $66 per barrel. Now its 127.9 and oil is $88 per barrel so cant see how the oil companies are screwing us any more.Oil was $23 a barrel in 2000 so of course petrol is going to be around the 80p mark (tax is 57.9p per litre I believe)Oil price history (Brent)http://www.eia.doe.gov/dnav/pet/hist/LeafHandler.ashx?n=PET&s=WEPCBRENT&f=W

I don't remember it that high, I would have said about 1.00 - 1.10 if someone had asked me. Might have peaked high at one point but this price seems to be sticking now.

hmmmmm........

Station : Tesco Shoreham, Upper Shoreham Road, Holmbush Centre,
Shoreham-by-sea
Brand : Tesco
Distance: 1.27 miles
Price : 93.9p
Updated : 22-04-2007

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2266/4514474164_afb1c389e4_m.jpg

Edited by: "Dreraf" 17th Dec 2010

All I know is there are record fuel prices so it's not their fault.
All I know is they are making record profits.

58ppl is Fuel Tax...and that's before VAT

Banned

The best thing to do in situations like these is to stop moaning and get on with things.

Banned

40 litres = about £50

Probably about £8 more expensive than when you were happy paying for fuel.

I'm guessing 40 litres should last about 2/3 weeks?

So, worst case scenario, it's 57p a day.

Yeah, lets all strike! oO

Jebus!
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Building a PC Need Help!614
    2. Computer upgrades33
    3. Gas Cooker Hose Required78
    4. Foo fighters presale code.3642

See more discussions