Expired

stripping paint advice

Found 20th Oct 2014
areas to strip are, door frames, doors, skirting boards, banister up stairs ( tight spaces)

as i best going with a paint stripping gel or perhaps a heat gun taking into account some tight areas

does one work quicker than the other?

any particular products you would recommend?

thankyou for help in advance
Community Updates
AskPaint
16 Comments
Original Poster
did just notice this advertised which seems good

heat gun
Heat gun and scraping will take time,gel will no doubt be quicker and easier but I've never used it,last time I did banister I used heat gun and drimmel to get into tight corners.

As for doors we removed them and got them dipped and striped by guy I used to work with depends what you plan to do after she wanted bare wood so took longer than if we were just gonna paint them again.
I don't envy you - I've done this a few years ago in my last house.

I used a combination of Nitromors, heat gun and very scraping hooks - and wire brush/course sandpaper.
Agree with moob

It's all down to what's best for that particular area
Dip the stuff you can unscrew, such as doors, heat & scrape all the flat surfaces and chemically remove from all the nooks and crannies you can't get to easily.

Good luck!
I had my doors stripped and they look really good, I could not believe how good they looked.
Sorry forgot to say the doors were dipped
The Earlex heat gun you are looking at is very good for the banister, I done ours with it but mainly used my own wallpaper stripper tool and the little triangle one in the box is good for getting into small spaces, I also used a flat head screwdriver very carefully on awkward bits so as not too damage the wood. The nozzles that come with the gun are quite good because the 3rd one down on the left spreads heat evenly and it has two temperature settings. Depends on the type of paint as well because some of mine was really hardened and just softened and was like glue and had to be sanded off, other places it came off like chocolate curls. You could be lucky and have it done really quickly or else it will take ages.

The active ingredient in paint stripper was removed several years back due to people making claims for inhalation or burns or something so if you want one that works you have to go to a proper hardware store that supplies for trade. I bought nitromors and took it back because it was about as effective as nail polish remover, it done nothing but smelt terrible. For little jobs I found that the B&Q own make Diall have a paint stripper and it removed little blotches of paint and excess wood stain for me but I don't think it would be good for big jobs.

Black and Decker sanding mouse is a good tool to have for finishing up and remember that you can glue your own sandpaper onto the pads because it is expensive to buy them separately, I got some of the heavy duty glass papers from Wilkinson, the green one and it works really well but you have to be careful as it is really aggressive on soft woods.

Almost forgot if you find a paint stripper that works then a small paint brush (one used for art stuff) is good for awkward spots.

Good luck I hope it all goes well

Peelaway paint stripper is good. No mess and non caustic.
Original Poster
geesepeace

The Earlex heat gun you are looking at is very good for the banister, I … The Earlex heat gun you are looking at is very good for the banister, I done ours with it but mainly used my own wallpaper stripper tool and the little triangle one in the box is good for getting into small spaces, I also used a flat head screwdriver very carefully on awkward bits so as not too damage the wood. The nozzles that come with the gun are quite good because the 3rd one down on the left spreads heat evenly and it has two temperature settings. Depends on the type of paint as well because some of mine was really hardened and just softened and was like glue and had to be sanded off, other places it came off like chocolate curls. You could be lucky and have it done really quickly or else it will take ages.The active ingredient in paint stripper was removed several years back due to people making claims for inhalation or burns or something so if you want one that works you have to go to a proper hardware store that supplies for trade. I bought nitromors and took it back because it was about as effective as nail polish remover, it done nothing but smelt terrible. For little jobs I found that the B&Q own make Diall have a paint stripper and it removed little blotches of paint and excess wood stain for me but I don't think it would be good for big jobs.Black and Decker sanding mouse is a good tool to have for finishing up and remember that you can glue your own sandpaper onto the pads because it is expensive to buy them separately, I got some of the heavy duty glass papers from Wilkinson, the green one and it works really well but you have to be careful as it is really aggressive on soft woods.Almost forgot if you find a paint stripper that works then a small paint brush (one used for art stuff) is good for awkward spots. Good luck I hope it all goes well

Yeah iv gone with this heat gun, think itl do the majority of what i need and it so happens i do have a black and decker mouse sander aswell for afterwards
Do you know how old the paint you're stripping is? If it's likely to contain lead, you need to carefully consider the best way to strip it.
For the amount of time , effort and money involved ..................it may be cheaper to just replace the woodwork . Yes ,doors are easy as they can be dipped but burning or using something like Nitromors is a timing consuming process . Banisters and spindles can be removed to be dipped , but burning off the paint with a heat gun is a nightmare , smoke filling the rooms setting off your smoke alarms .
I'm a decorator and seldom get asked to burn off paint except exterior window sills . It's time consuming and costly.
Work out how much wood you need and compare prices for new wood before you do anything.
I agree with ricko on this as my apprenticeship when I was a kid was painter and decorator. Just try to get new skirting and door frames as a good joiner won't charge that much if you get new doors fitted too.
I'd get new if you can or get someone else to do it,or just paint over it.

I did not fair very well with a heat gun It made the wood really soft and I ended up gauging loads of bits of the wood out with the tools,made it look worse than before,I persevered all over the house and I still didn't improve X)

There were years of paint on the architraving etc but personally I wouldn't use a heat gun again,I couldn't get to grips with it.

I burnt myself several times as well putting it down on the stairs or somewhere then leaning over it,one time quite badly,the scar was there for about a year
Do not use paint stripper!!!!

It is really really messy - use a heat gun - it's faster and easier and also easier to clean up the stripped paint, as there is no gooey mess afterwards.

Screwfix do a good 2000w model for about £24
Edited by: "Bigfootpete" 21st Oct 2014
You could also post a couple of images of what it looks like now so they can get a better idea on the best advice to give you?

Are you going to remove the paint for staining and varnishing or repainting? Is it fairly new or years old paint? Remember old paint may contain lead.

What they said about the heat gun setting off the smoke alarm is what happened to me all the time, only my paint was just under 20 years old and was really difficult to remove it took me months of hard work and I had to use gun,stripper and sander. I originally wanted to do the same with the spindles but didn't have years to spare on the project so ended up sanding them down and painting them over. The heat gun I had to learn how to use it properly because like I said some paint came off easy other bits turned glue-like or just burned. If you have loads of time and want to do it as an ongoing project I would say go ahead and you will be proud of your work especially if you want to live there for a long time and are looking to save money, although it also might be cheaper to replace some bits.

We need to see some pictures really that would help you a lot.

Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants