Strong chemical smell in bedroom

Found 14th Aug 2015
Over the last 4 months there has been a constant chemical smell in the bedroom which smells like the sort that you get when you buy flat packed furniture that gets shipped from China.

We can't work out where the smell is coming from and thought it may be a leaking radiator which has stopped leaking. Could a leaking radiator give out this sort of smell?

Any ideas on how I can isolate where the smell is coming from?
Community Updates
Ask
32 Comments
Have you purchased some flat pack furniture from China recently?
Any new insulation in the loft (or flat roof maybe) that the sun (on the rare occasion) has heated up as that tends to give off whiffs
Check your light fittings as these can give off a nasty smell when the plastic bayonet fitting needs replacing.
Is the smell making anyone feel unwell? Try isolating different things one at a time to see whether they are the culprit eg. remove the furniture for a night and have a sniff the next day.
306notout

Have you purchased some flat pack furniture from China recently?

there is a new bed that is cheap furniture which I believe may be the culprit but that was 8 months ago so any smell would have gone by now?
momartin

Is the smell making anyone feel unwell? Try isolating different things … Is the smell making anyone feel unwell? Try isolating different things one at a time to see whether they are the culprit eg. remove the furniture for a night and have a sniff the next day.

yes, this is what i am thinking of doing. empty the whole room and open the windows for the whole day then see if the smell is still there to eliminate the furniture in the room.
mutley1

yes, this is what i am thinking of doing. empty the whole room and open … yes, this is what i am thinking of doing. empty the whole room and open the windows for the whole day then see if the smell is still there to eliminate the furniture in the room.

Well I hope you find the source, would drive me mad!!
I think we need a clue as to what "flat packed furniture that gets shipped from China" smells like.
Ellie Phant

I think we need a clue as to what "flat packed furniture that gets … I think we need a clue as to what "flat packed furniture that gets shipped from China" smells like.

i googled this and it apparently smells of formadylhyde
in next weeks episode of 'adventures in mutley1 land' we find out if his water tastes a bit funny or not
Have you checked to see if there's a family of unwashed illegal immigrants hiding in the wall cavity?
If it's a nasty fishy type smell, plastic light fittings contain formaldehyde and an old one could produce this odour.
mutley1

i googled this and it apparently smells of formadylhyde

Ok Thanks, I didn't know that... I can now put this down as "I learnt something new today"
Anyone smoking something they shouldn't be?
martynf65

Anyone smoking something they shouldn't be?

that was what i was thinking. could they be watching too many episodes of breaking bad and been making chrystal meths? do drugs smell toxic?
No idea sadly, never been into them, but I did pass through someones house once that was into it, really odd chemical smells....

Not saying it is, just throwing a suggestion.
martynf65

No idea sadly, never been into them, but I did pass through someones … No idea sadly, never been into them, but I did pass through someones house once that was into it, really odd chemical smells....Not saying it is, just throwing a suggestion.

what sort of drugs were they into do you know?
I don't know, just smoked things, so I guess pot, mayijuna or how ever its spelt!
martynf65

I don't know, just smoked things, so I guess pot, mayijuna or how ever … I don't know, just smoked things, so I guess pot, mayijuna or how ever its spelt!

i googled marajuana smell and it states it smell sickly sweet. this smell is more chemical pungent than sweet.
glue?
chemical pungent... ammonia? wet rot maybe?

You don't have chimneys do you? a dead bird fallen into ta chimney decomposing would give that chemical smell for sure! BTDT!! twice....
martynf65

chemical pungent... ammonia? wet rot maybe? You don't have chimneys do … chemical pungent... ammonia? wet rot maybe? You don't have chimneys do you? a dead bird fallen into ta chimney decomposing would give that chemical smell for sure! BTDT!! twice....

no chimney. i have smelt dead rot which is a sweet smell, this is more like really really strong tippex.
I'm out of ideas. If you are worried that it might be drug related, I'd expect any of the drug help lines / websites could offer advice.
brilly

in next weeks episode of 'adventures in mutley1 land' we find out if his … in next weeks episode of 'adventures in mutley1 land' we find out if his water tastes a bit funny or not

Any chance of seeing this before the official release? I'm on the edge of my seat!
Heard years ago that if your walls are painted with ~Crown CoverMatt Emulsion paint. It gives off a strange smell....oO
sewer gas from a faulty seal at the back off the loo?
You had laminate floor fitted?
We can send these two round if you want
https://media3.giphy.com/media/6NcwoFCEoKYBa/200.gif
I'm just flabbergasted that it took you 4 months to ask about it on HUKD .
jcaho7

Heard years ago that if your walls are painted with ~Crown CoverMatt … Heard years ago that if your walls are painted with ~Crown CoverMatt Emulsion paint. It gives off a strange smell....oO

I've just used Crown Breatheasy on a feature wall in the bedroom and every time I walk past it,it has a kind of biscuit smell !!

The White Emulsion didn't smell it's just this one that smells odd.
Ectoplasm? Have you been visited by a ghost recently?
Dealer4

Ectoplasm? Have you been visited by a ghost recently?

i am concerned that there may be a dead body buried under the floor boards embalmed in formaldylhyde as apparently this is used to preserve corpses. X)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants