Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

HP Pavilion 15.6in Ryzen 7 8GB 512GB GTX1660Ti Gaming Laptop - £899.99 @ Argos

Posted 26th Jul
Hi Dealers

just seen this on Argos site and although I suspect it will bomb as a "deal" I wanted to stimulate some discussion. I think for the specs it's a fair price. Try not to jump on any fanboy band wagon and commment honestly please.

argos.co.uk/pro…330

My thoughts on it are it's the better processor than the 4600H which seem very strong and have had lots of posts recently but for people who do more than game 8 cores is better than 6. At least it has 512Gb storage (several posts have had only 256Gb which for 2020 is poor IMHO). The only week point for me is 8Gb of RAM (2x4Gb).

General features:

• Size H2.35, W36, D25.7cm.
  • Weight 1.98kg.
CPU, Memory and Operating System:

• AMD Ryzen 7 4800H processor.
  • Octa core processor.
  • 2.9GHz processor speed with a burst speed of 4.3GHz.
  • 8GB RAM DDR4.
  • 512GB SSD storage.
  • Windows 10 Home.
Display features:

• 15.6 inch screen.
  • Full HD Display.
  • Resolution 1920 x 1080 pixels.

• NVIDIA GTX 10 series 1660 Ti with Max-Q design graphics card with 6GB RAM GDDR6.

• Multi-card media card reader.
  • Secure Digital (SD), .
  • 1 USB 2.0 port.
  • 1 USB Type-C port.
  • 1 Ethernet port.
  • 1 HDMI port.
  • Bluetooth.
  • Wi-Fi enabled.
Multimedia features:

• HD webcam.
  • Built-in mic.
  • Backlit keyboard.
  • Bang & Olufsen Sound sound system.

• Manufacturer's 1 year guarantee.
Community Updates
Top comments
Could have done with 16GB RAM at the price point it is.
Edited by: "noahsdad" 26th Jul
45 Comments
Might be a good deal, but add some info in the description, otherwise it's going cold.
£989 with care pack at home via studentbeanz.
Seems like a decent laptop for the money, perhaps it could do with an extra USB port or two? I was lucky enough to get the new HP Omen with the same CPU and GPU for £891 and its an awesome laptop so guessing this would be comparable apart from the screen?

Edit: Actually it’s not the same GPU as the Omen as has the Max-Q variant.
Edited by: "micprice" 27th Jul
micprice26/07/2020 21:51

Seems like a decent laptop for the money, perhaps it could do with an …Seems like a decent laptop for the money, perhaps it could do with an extra USB port or two? I was lucky enough to get the new HP Omen with the same CPU and GPU for £891 and its an awesome laptop so guessing this would be comparable apart from the screen?

I saw this on the HP site which I think may also be a strong contender but only because it's direct from HP and has a 3 year carepack

store.hp.com/UKS…NTB
GDawes26/07/2020 21:50

£989 with care pack at home via studentbeanz.

Interesting comment but as most of us aren't students I'll let the students comment on whether the extra is worth it for them
Also the part number in Argos site is not the model In the picture . It’s an older model with a 1650. Looks good . Was shopping around for price comparisons.
pixelboy6826/07/2020 21:55

I saw this on the HP site which I think may also be a strong contender but …I saw this on the HP site which I think may also be a strong contender but only because it's direct from HP and has a 3 year carepackhttps://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=13D27EA&opt=ABU&sel=NTB

Yeah that’s the one I got with the 3yr care pack. It really is a fantastic laptop and cooling is really very good!
Looks like a good deal heat added
Edited by: "noahsdad" 26th Jul
Good deal. Just beware of the laptop police
Have been tracking this same laptop from AO for a month or more... Good find, hopefully soon available. Heat from me...

Edit:- Bit of a bummer if it is indeed the MaxQ variant...
Edited by: "Yeah8a8y" 26th Jul
This or the omen 15 2020? Same CPU and GPU
Title should be the item and specs, not some kind of sales pitch
Too much green for me, good specs though.
Horrorwood26/07/2020 22:31

Title should be the item and specs, not some kind of sales pitch

And you're opininion is valid but it's my deal, so I get to chose the tile
I like the cpu and gpu. However I would have preferred 1 stick of 8gb so I can add another. Would have preferred the ssd to be smaller or even a cheap mechanical as you can get a 1tb for buttons these days.

Its what I did for the wife. I doubles the ram and changed the 500gb for a 1tb ssd
pixelboy6826/07/2020 22:32

And you're opininion is valid but it's my deal, so I get to chose the tile …And you're opininion is valid but it's my deal, so I get to chose the tile

You are well on your way to being accepted into the condiments programme
pixelboy6826/07/2020 22:32

And you're opininion is valid but it's my deal, so I get to chose the tile …And you're opininion is valid but it's my deal, so I get to chose the tile

No worries, I am sure a lot of people are specifically searching "Strong Ryzen contender at a realistic price" instead of I dunno, something like "Ryzen 7 4800H"
Termy567826/07/2020 22:27

Omen is a more premium machine. Also normally more expensive.
Termy567826/07/2020 22:27

According to the specs this is only the Max-Q variant. If you can justify the extra cost then you’ll be very happy with the Omen
Decent price. I'd like more USB ports, it's not something they should skimp on imo. 4800H in the title would be great
What hz screen is this ? Cheers
Sonny_A26/07/2020 22:35

I like the cpu and gpu. However I would have preferred 1 stick of 8gb so I …I like the cpu and gpu. However I would have preferred 1 stick of 8gb so I can add another. Would have preferred the ssd to be smaller or even a cheap mechanical as you can get a 1tb for buttons these days.Its what I did for the wife. I doubles the ram and changed the 500gb for a 1tb ssd

How is your wife after her upgrade? 😜
So...
Omen with non max Q GPU and 3 year care pack is £990 (with common work discount link)
vs
This laptop with 2 year accidental damage pack at £985 (with work 8% off vouchers)

Both look good, but as the Omen has been reviewed and we know it's thermals are good then I guess the it's the best pick
quantum7727/07/2020 14:18

So...Omen with non max Q GPU and 3 year care pack is £990 (with common …So...Omen with non max Q GPU and 3 year care pack is £990 (with common work discount link) vs This laptop with 2 year accidental damage pack at £985 (with work 8% off vouchers)Both look good, but as the Omen has been reviewed and we know it's thermals are good then I guess the it's the best pick

Unless I'm missing something, I think you could buy this from Argos and then buy the 3 year care pack from HP separately for £49... or £41 if you get Corporate Discount

This model (15-ec1006na) is listed as compatible with the Care Pack - store.hp.com/UKS…CPK
dealHunterExtraordinaire27/07/2020 14:25

Unless I'm missing something, I think you could buy this from Argos and …Unless I'm missing something, I think you could buy this from Argos and then buy the 3 year care pack from HP separately for £49... or £41 if you get Corporate DiscountThis model (15-ec1006na) is listed as compatible with the Care Pack - https://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=U4819E&opt=&sel=CPK

Didn't know care packs could be purchased separately. If so then that changes things
quantum7727/07/2020 14:27

Didn't know care packs could be purchased separately. If so then that …Didn't know care packs could be purchased separately. If so then that changes things

I bought a Lenovo laptop from laptopsdirect a few years ago then just bought the cheap 3 year care pack from Lenovo themselves, it looks like HP let you do the same thing
dealHunterExtraordinaire27/07/2020 14:31

I bought a Lenovo laptop from laptopsdirect a few years ago then just …I bought a Lenovo laptop from laptopsdirect a few years ago then just bought the cheap 3 year care pack from Lenovo themselves, it looks like HP let you do the same thing

[UPDATED]
So...
Omen with non max Q GPU and 3 year care pack is £990 (with common work discount link)
vs
This laptop for £828 (with work 8% off vouchers) + direct purchase of HP care pack @ £42 (with work discount link) = £870

Both look good. The Omen has been reviewed and we know it's thermals are good, but assuming this doesn't have any issues then I'll take it (and it's max Q) for £120 less
quantum7727/07/2020 14:18

So...Omen with non max Q GPU and 3 year care pack is £990 (with common …So...Omen with non max Q GPU and 3 year care pack is £990 (with common work discount link) vs This laptop with 2 year accidental damage pack at £985 (with work 8% off vouchers)Both look good, but as the Omen has been reviewed and we know it's thermals are good then I guess the it's the best pick

Do you have a link for the omen non max q GPU?
noahsdad26/07/2020 22:01

Could have just used paper instead of plastic and a TN screen.
MRP27/07/2020 17:14

Could have just used paper instead of plastic and a TN screen.

Were only talking about another 8GB RAM here... how much do you think plastic costs by the way? It is manufactured fairly cheaply.
Usb 2.0?! Wtf! You’re right...for 2020 I expect 3.0!!!
Edited by: "mecheekymonkey" 27th Jul
You have all seen that graphics card has its own 6gb memory so 8gb memory should be fine for nearly everything else apart from very heavy video / photo editing and running loads of virtual machines?
Edited by: "andy_sym" 27th Jul
andy_sym27/07/2020 19:03

You have all seen that graphics card has its own 6gb memory so 8gb memory …You have all seen that graphics card has its own 6gb memory so 8gb memory should be fine for nearly everything else apart from very heavy video / photo editing and running loads of virtual machines?

Since PC's aren't unified, if you run something that consumes say 5GB VRAM, that will also take around 5GB address space (RAM/page file) so basically thrashing your NVMe if you are reaching 8GB.
Edited by: "rev6" 27th Jul
Thanks for posting and a belated welcome to hotukdeals @pixelboy68
andy_sym27/07/2020 19:03

You have all seen that graphics card has its own 6gb memory so 8gb memory …You have all seen that graphics card has its own 6gb memory so 8gb memory should be fine for nearly everything else apart from very heavy video / photo editing and running loads of virtual machines?

Unless you use Google Chrome which eats RAM for breakfast! Some AAA games also benefit from more than 8GB RAM.
rev627/07/2020 19:06

Since PC's aren't unified, if you run something that consumes say 5GB …Since PC's aren't unified, if you run something that consumes say 5GB VRAM, that will also take around 5GB address space (RAM/page file) so basically thrashing your NVMe if you are reaching 8GB.

Thrashing causing poor performance? Or using up the SSD's lifetime read/writes?
Post a comment
@
    Text