Stronghold flea treatment for cats

Posted 10th Jan
I understand I need a prescription for Stornghold for my cat which I treat for fleas and other nasties. I am just wondering how much it would be to obtain a prescription for this as feel like the vets have got you by the “you know what”. What is the best/cheapest way to treat my cat? She is an indoor cat weighing 3.8kg and just coming up to a year old.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thank in advance
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

13 Comments
We use Advocate - you are able to buy online. However, a visit to the Vet is always a good idea as they do a general health check and vaccinations, discuss neutering etc.

3.8kg seems quite a bit for a cat not quite a year old, obviously don't know the breed.
Edited by: "JimboParrot" 11th Jan
Have you ever considered the pet plan at pets at home. We pay about £10 per month and that includes all flea and worm treatments. General check ups. All injections required and clipping of nails.
I buy advantage for dogs online (you just make stuff up about having a dog) and use it on my cat, it's the same thing.
You'll need to know the correct dose and buy some syringes, it'll save you loads.
I got this tip from a commenter on Amazon, but I think it's been removed
Advantage is no longer thought of as a particular good product. I certainly wouldn't use a product that was for dogs on my cats even it was cheaper. Plus surely it must go off by the time you have used all the opened product. The better ones must only be used for the animals specified.
I had a similar idea when I needed some Metacam for our cat. Vet price £54. Online price £16. Vet charge for a script... £45!!!

They'll screw you over whichever way you go, they feel they are entitled to your money. . .
steve122111/01/2020 07:31

I had a similar idea when I needed some Metacam for our cat. Vet price …I had a similar idea when I needed some Metacam for our cat. Vet price £54. Online price £16. Vet charge for a script... £45!!!They'll screw you over whichever way you go, they feel they are entitled to your money. . .

Why did your cat need Metacam? Presumably following on from an operation? As I understand it Metacam is prescription only and can only be purchased online with one.
Edited by: "JimboParrot" 11th Jan
No expiration on Advantage
Google Search link
And it's the same product for cars and dogs (only much cheaper to buy the larger quantities needed for a dog by weight)
Advantage for cats Vs dogs
Scroll down for the big text in the above links
steve122111/01/2020 07:31

I had a similar idea when I needed some Metacam for our cat. Vet price …I had a similar idea when I needed some Metacam for our cat. Vet price £54. Online price £16. Vet charge for a script... £45!!!They'll screw you over whichever way you go, they feel they are entitled to your money. . .

Absolute disgrace really for the quick check over the vet does and to weigh them. Will be making sure I get more than 3 months worth of treatment on the prescription
JimboParrot11/01/2020 06:13

Advantage is no longer thought of as a particular good product. I …Advantage is no longer thought of as a particular good product. I certainly wouldn't use a product that was for dogs on my cats even it was cheaper. Plus surely it must go off by the time you have used all the opened product. The better ones must only be used for the animals specified.

It's 100% the same product, Just the dosage is different. Small dog would be fine for a cat.
esar11/01/2020 10:31

No expiration on AdvantageGoogle Search linkAnd it's the same product for …No expiration on AdvantageGoogle Search linkAnd it's the same product for cars and dogs (only much cheaper to buy the larger quantities needed for a dog by weight)Advantage for cats Vs dogsScroll down for the big text in the above links

I meant once it is opened.
justonemore11/01/2020 10:37

Absolute disgrace really for the quick check over the vet does and to …Absolute disgrace really for the quick check over the vet does and to weigh them. Will be making sure I get more than 3 months worth of treatment on the prescription

They do a lot more than a quick check. By 'feeling' them they are able to tell if there are any issues. Plus checking their weight and keeping a record gives an idea as to sudden loss/gain. Eyes, ears and teeth are also checked. Annual vaccinations, plus a worm tablet or medication are given.

Well worth the cost in my opinion.

Usually six months supply is prescribed.
JimboParrot11/01/2020 11:04

They do a lot more than a quick check. By 'feeling' them they are able to …They do a lot more than a quick check. By 'feeling' them they are able to tell if there are any issues. Plus checking their weight and keeping a record gives an idea as to sudden loss/gain. Eyes, ears and teeth are also checked. Annual vaccinations, plus a worm tablet or medication are given.Well worth the cost in my opinion.Usually six months supply is prescribed.

After reading up I think the vets my cat is at offer a payment plan for about £15 a month that includes all of this. Thank you for your advice
JimboParrot11/01/2020 11:00

I meant once it is opened.

I don't believe that matters, I store mine in a little dropper bottle in the fridge!
I can't prove what I say, but my cat doesn't have fleas, and the Advantage looks and smells the same as the day I bought it!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants