Struggling in the snow? It's your own fault apparently

Suffering motorists have been told to stop whingeing by the Transport Secretary despite now facing treacherous ice after five days of snow chaos.

In an astonishing outburst before another big freeze last night, Geoff Hoon said drivers had only themselves to blame for the struggle to get around.

Mr Hoon, who has come under fire himself for failing to ensure there was enough grit on the roads, insisted motorists were ill-prepared for the conditions and suggested they fork out £54 on snow chains to ensure their tyres could grip.

He demanded: Why has nobody got snow chains and why are you all whingeing about what the Government hasnt done?

If you live in the Alps you have snow chains in the back of your car. So why have none of you intelligent, capable people got chains?

24 Comments

He probably never said it knowing the Mail

can sort of see his point, government are not responsible for the weather, if it gets to the point my driving is compromised i will buy some snow chains

Original Poster

tonyg1962;4311309

He probably never said it knowing the Mail

Telegraph better? telegraph.co.uk/top…tml

Goverment aren't responsible for the weather but they (local government) are responsible for having enough grit/salt for the roads and they clearly didn't.

Snow chains would be constantly coming on and off if we had them though as we changed roads and found one had snow and the other didn't!

andrewr;4311342

Goverment aren't responsible for the weather but they (local government) … Goverment aren't responsible for the weather but they (local government) are responsible for having enough grit/salt for the roads and they clearly didn't.

are they though? or is it something they do out of courtesy, dont think its the law, or is it? dunno if it aint law then each individual is ultimately responsible for keeping their car from sliding about

Original Poster

kungfu;4311383

are they though? or is it something they do out of courtesy, dont think … are they though? or is it something they do out of courtesy, dont think its the law, or is it? dunno if it aint law then each individual is ultimately responsible for keeping their car from sliding about

Err, we pay them to do it, from both road tax and council tax.

my daughter had a crash in the ice this week, her first accident. I thought snow chains were illegal in this country?

peodude;4311415

Err, we pay them to do it, from both road tax and council tax.

then hes a bit of a dong for saying that soz

kungfu;4311383

are they though? or is it something they do out of courtesy, dont think … are they though? or is it something they do out of courtesy, dont think its the law, or is it? dunno if it aint law then each individual is ultimately responsible for keeping their car from sliding about

I know I heard on the news the other day 'councils have a legal obligation to keep roads gritted'

joesmum;4311430

my daughter had a crash in the ice this week, her first accident. I … my daughter had a crash in the ice this week, her first accident. I thought snow chains were illegal in this country?

My partners just said that too

Are they legal?

Hope your daughter's ok?

It's illegal not to carry snow chains in some European countries.

I believe some winter "studded" tyres are illegal in the uk.

Advice re winter driving can be found here..

michelin.co.uk/mic…tml

peodude;4311341

Telegraph better? … Telegraph better? http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/weather/4543486/Snow-Britain-Geoff-Hoon-tells-drives-to-stop-whingeing.html

part of the same group

the guy's a buffoon anyway

So many things wrong with that statement

1) People who live in the Alps (or any snowy place) have snow tyres, which are special tryes with very close grooves, these grooves pinch the snow and give traction, they do not help on ice, many people who live in snowy conditions do not own snow chains, I never did when I was living in bavaria and the only people I know who did where those that regularly went down to the mountains
2) Snow chains are only useful on compact snow where the snow has been crushed together to form a layer, the chains work by digging into the snow, they can't dig into tarmac/concrete
3) You can't just drive on snow chains all the time, they will kill your tyres
4) Snow chains are not quick, or easy to fit.

But I do not believe the government should spend billions of pounds putting in place the infrastructure for such abnormal weather conditions, people would immediately cry wolf that the NHS is a priority.

People should take some initiative and learn how to best drive on snow. For a start, if you have a powerful enough vehicle, do not use first gear. Do not accelerate as hard as possible trying to dig out of the snow.

Slowly press on the accelerator and gently lift the clutch, you can't just step on the peddle and release the clutch, you put too much torque into the wheels too quickly.. If the ice/snow under the tyres is not to thick, just dig it out.

Learning to drive on snow won't help cure your problems but will help prevent slipping and sliding.

I think there is some truth in that people need to take responsibility for their own actions and not constantly rely on others to ensure their life is not inconvenienced.

He said that on question time this week and if that is what they are quoting then it is 'slightly' out of context. They were talking about how Russia copes with the snow and saying they couldnt compare the two as Russia has snow for half the year and so has to deal with it 24/7/365. Hense the comment about snowchains.
Good job the papers can sensationalise everything. Why let the truth get in the way of a good story!!!!!

Shambolic;4311975

It's illegal not to carry snow chains in some European countries.I … It's illegal not to carry snow chains in some European countries.I believe some winter "studded" tyres are illegal in the uk.Info re chains...http://www.michelin.co.uk/michelinuk/en/car-van-4x4/when-should-snow-chains/20070319171418.html

That's just what I was going to say, I've never heard it being illegal in the UK (nor can I see why it would be) however I do know that some countries require snow chains to be kept in the car.

Living well out of the way up here in the Highlands I can't really comment on what's happening down south with snow as I've only seen pictures on the news and it's hard to gauge what's actually been happening (or not happening as the problem seems to be)

John

I fully appreiciate that people need to be able to take a certain degree of responsibility for themselves but providing grit for roads and pavements especially on main roads and in metropolitan areas is not something in that category. This winter we had snow very early. 2 days after the clocks changed we had our first snowfall. Did councils replenish grit stocks following this or did they gamble that they would have enough left to last the winter?
This is such a basic requirement I really find it difficult to understand how councils across the country are now on the point of running out of grit. There are VERY serious implications to such a situation as much of the food industry relies on road transport. Yes, these conditions have been extreme. But maybe its not just the banking execs that are gamblers these days. IMO councils should have a basic stock level of grit at all times and plans for replenishment when certain low levels are reached. I am not convinced that this approach has been adhered to this winter.

guardian.co.uk/uk/…don

The man has such a patronising attitude.

We are going to import 40,000 tons of salt from Spain and Germany.:roll:
YOUR HAVING A LAUGH.

UKnowYerman.;4312163

The man has such a patronising attitude. We are going to import 40,000 … The man has such a patronising attitude. We are going to import 40,000 tons of salt from Spain and Germany.:roll:YOUR HAVING A LAUGH.

we've (gordon, anyway) sold off gold and is now buying it back at huge loss. as for initiative, why don't the government work with the big building merchants, most hav large stock and they'd be giving the economy a boost :whistling:

Mijooly;4311802

My partners just said that tooAre they legal?Hope your daughter's ok?

ah thanks she is fine, bit shaken, now has to find £500 excess for insurance - not even her fault!

I'm curious, do they grit the roads when there isn't snow?

Up here they tend to grit the roads when it's cold which means gritting fairly constantly through the winter.

John

Banned

I've got snow chains haven't used them yet, on the A41 on Friday, I could have used them but then it went to tarmac on and off like under bridges.

Johnmcl7;4313563

I'm curious, do they grit the roads when there isn't snow?Up here they … I'm curious, do they grit the roads when there isn't snow?Up here they tend to grit the roads when it's cold which means gritting fairly constantly through the winter.John

who?

Any of the areas currently affected by snow and low grit levels

John

myaser88;4312474

we've (gordon, anyway) sold off gold and is now buying it back at huge … we've (gordon, anyway) sold off gold and is now buying it back at huge loss. as for initiative, why don't the government work with the big building merchants, most hav large stock and they'd be giving the economy a boost :whistling:

Yes sold the GOLD in 1999 for $262 an ounce and today it's worth $895 an ounce.:w00t:
O sorry I will stop whinging Mr Hoon.

Back to the subject. My neighbour who drives the gritting lorry with the local council was at home on friday,and when I asked, he just shook his head, and said he had gone to work early morning but was sitting around because their was no gritting salt so he just came home and took a days holiday.:roll: You could not make it up it's unbelivable.:roll:
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …138333
    2. Your dream gaming set up?1019
    3. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread415814101
    4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764522

See more discussions