struggling with manual car, would automatic be better?

Found 22nd Oct 2011
Im currently doing my lessons, im an alright driver, but am failing at roundabouts, and reading the road/thinking ahead, etc. maybe its because im concentrating too much on the gears and clutch, is it far easier to drive an automatic?
Community Updates
55 Comments
ill add that im an experienced forklift driver, and although that has a top speed of 15 mph, it is fully automatic.
Stick at it IMO, pretty soon it will become second nature and you will start to do it automatically without having to think about it. Switching to an automatic now may save you 3 or 4 hours of tuition costs but it will limit your choices later on.
deleted265520
Nothing comes straight away.

It is quite rare to be an instant hit at driving. I actually learnt more after I had passed my test. My clutch control went downhill as the car I passed in was completely different to the one I've got now. However, a week or so later it all felt natural.

Do you know where the gears are? Do not get into the habit of looking down as this is very dangerous. Also get to know how much freedom you have on the clutch and how much effort is needed to get the "bite".

Remember to pay attention and always give way to the right (unless specified when coming up to the junction).
Edited by: "deleted265520" 22nd Oct 2011
Stick with it, if you have a manual licence you can drive a manual or automatic. If you have an automatic you can only drive an automatic.
You will get used to it, it becomes second nature but it's something which comes with experience.
Good luck!
Also, my friend still failed her first driving test in an automatic so it won't necessarily make things easier/you more likely to pass as you still have to be aware of everything else you need to do.
I would say it would definitely be a bad idea to switch to an automatic. As others have said, clutch control and gear choice will definitely come with practice and experience.

If you limit yourself to automatics now then you'll never want to drive anything else, whereas if you stick with clutch and gears, you will forever have the choice.

Good luck
^^^^^ All good advice, have you asked your instructor for their opinion?
I would suggest sticking with it, but if the problem persists then you could switch to an automatic, get an automatic licence. Then at a later stage when you are a more confident driver you could take a manual test.
Good luck with whichever you choose.
I drove auto for >10yrs before learning manual only so I can drive it if needed to. If you know you won't b driving a manual in the future then just go with auto. I don't even drive manual now that I know it...also the driving instructor plays a big part on your progress...some are just out to milk more hours from you.
Oh lord!
DLM

Oh lord!

Not sure he can help the OP, I doubt he's the driving instructor or examiner
Consider changing your driving instructor...

What ADI Grade are they, they need to be at least Grade 5 or better still Grade 6.
I'd say stick with it just because if you get a manual license you can drive any car...BUT... Since I've gone to Auto I've not returned to manual...So much easier and much more relaxing! My missus just drives Autos (Just has an automatic license) and we have found there's not as much choice when buying a (used) car and is quite a bit dearer when buying a new car. Autos are great but ultimately its up to you! Good Luck!
i see the problem YOUR A CAT i dont think even an automatic could help i think the problem is youve no thumbs
churchill

i see the problem YOUR A CAT i dont think even an automatic could help i … i see the problem YOUR A CAT i dont think even an automatic could help i think the problem is youve no thumbs

I see what you mean...
http://files.myopera.com/sirnh1/albums/433921/funny-pictures-driving-cat-hits-dog.jpg
stick with it if u can.....u will really be limited in the future....u arent the only one who has felt like saying sod it im going for an automatic....we all get to that point (well i did :p) but keep practicing, perhaps get ur dad/partner to take you out at night and get u practicing with them...it's all about practising, practising, practising..... you'll get there!!
Jesus. Man up.
Give up do us all a favour ,,, Some people just aren't supposed to drive.
Agree Kev. Pity the poor driver that gets rammed because they were concentrating on clutch and gears.

If that's seriously the case then your instructor should be shot for allowing you on the highway whilst not competent enough to drive.
Automatic cars are generally worse mpg wise, and co2 emmisions so your paying a lot more in petrol and road tax to drive the same car in manual flavour. For the extra bit of effort to learn a manual, I would recommend it.
dimebars

Agree Kev. Pity the poor driver that gets rammed because they were … Agree Kev. Pity the poor driver that gets rammed because they were concentrating on clutch and gears. If that's seriously the case then your instructor should be shot for allowing you on the highway whilst not competent enough to drive.

That's a but harsh! He might be just starting out! Besides, you can't deny his/her logic, with an auto you do get to concentrate on driving more not having to think about gears and being stuck in traffic it's a God send! I think us English folk can get a bit hung up on manual being the 'superior' transmission but I think most of the world drive autos now (don't quote me on that one)...
Edited by: "ei8hty5ive" 22nd Oct 2011
Auto's would certainly be a backward step, I mastered changing gear after my first lesson, I would recommend you stick with manuals, Your pretty limited with automatics and they suffer more problems than manuals.

I say treat it like a woman and it'll be fine, Once you figure the biting point it should be a synch, Biting point is usually around half way, As you lift your left foot, with your right foot accelerate a little.
shauneco

Auto's would certainly be a backward step, I mastered changing gear after … Auto's would certainly be a backward step, I mastered changing gear after my first lesson, I would recommend you stick with manuals, Your pretty limited with automatics and they suffer more problems than manuals.I say treat it like a woman and it'll be fine, Once you figure the biting point it should be a synch, Biting point is usually around half way, As you lift your left foot, with your right foot accelerate a little.

That's a very privative view! Autos are very reliable now! I like manuals for scooting around country lanes and cross country over the hills but as every day transport, I don't think I'll ever never go back to manual!
ei8hty5ive

That's a very privative view! Autos are very reliable now! I like … That's a very privative view! Autos are very reliable now! I like manuals for scooting around country lanes and cross country over the hills but as every day transport, I don't think I'll ever never go back to manual!

No it's a fact, Auto's still change gear, The mechanism's that change gear are extra things to go wrong, They also have sensors etc...

Admittedly they've improved but manuals are generally more economical too which is surely an important issue with the regards to finances etc..

It's like a dishwasher, Do you really need one?
ei8hty5ive

That's a very privative view! Autos are very reliable now! I like … That's a very privative view! Autos are very reliable now! I like manuals for scooting around country lanes and cross country over the hills but as every day transport, I don't think I'll ever never go back to manual!

what car do you drive, make, model, engine size, trim etc?
splatsplatsplat

what car do you drive, make, model, engine size, trim etc?

Lol, why? Jaguar x type atm...
ei8hty5ive

You've got too much money, How can you afford to drive one of those?
i was the same tbh...def not a natural...my dad took me on a disused road and i practiced getting the biting point first without using the accelorator..then just up and down changing gear...when i went back for my driving lessons the instructor used to ask me to change gear and id done it -he didnt know...it was all down to my dad making me practice. Instructor said i was the best at gear changing lol
I passed 1st time too. Try to get a mate to help you or family member..or on a carpark after closing time?
shauneco

You've got too much money, How can you afford to drive one of those?

work hard? Trust me, this was a downgrade! I had 3L 5 series BMW before but the bills and petrol made me come down a bit. Was a sad day.
I wasted years trying to learn in a manual. the best thing i ever did was go for a automatic. Yes they cost a tiny bit more to run. And you still have to pass your test, which is still as difficult just minus the gears. (hoping to take mine at christmas time) But I actually enjoy driving now and I had decided that I was one of those who should never drive before I tried a auto.

I wouldn't take the advice of your driving instructor unless he does both manual and auto, find a instructor who does both and ask for there advice.
If you have access to a manual car you could always practice the palming method.

What i learned at BSM was slightly different to whats in the link but it was basically a series of loose hand shapes that would naturally make you move the stick into the correct gear. So for first you would put your palm on the right side of the gear stick with your fingers curled round the front then push from neutral with the base of your palm and it would naturally go to first, then you would pull back with your fingers for second.
Then I think it was place your palm flat on the top with the fingers curled over the front and you would push from second and give it a fraction to pop back into neutral and push forwards with your palm for third then pull back with your fingers for fourth. You then do a reverse of what you did for first so your hand is on the other side of the stick and this puts it into fifth.

It's all muscle memory now.
Although I am pro auto now, on defence of manual it does get easier over time and it becomes second nature, so you should really stick with it and pass your test in manual.... Then buy an automatic! The good thing is too that learning manual is like riding a bike, you never forget how you do it!
Edited by: "ei8hty5ive" 22nd Oct 2011
The real problem here is poor instruction, the OP is being taught to run before they can walk.

Change instructors.
I would try an automatic book a cpl of lessons see how you get on nearly every car has the option of an automatic version and at the end of the day - who knows you are driving an automatic - you nobody else.

at the end of the day you will know what you feel more comfortable in but - i would try an automatic then decide

Good Luck
I advised someone recently who had spent about 20 lessons on manual and still struggled to just go with auto.

She is now thriving and really focussing on the driving and as someone said, a lot of people only drive an auto nowadays.

I also like the idea of going out with a friend to solely focus on the gears so if u can do that I'd advise it.
What car are you learning in? Is it petrol or diesel? My instructor had a diesel and I found that so much easier than my Mum's petrol car.

I haven't driven since I passed (18months ish ago). Dreading the moment I can actually afford to drive... my clutch control is going to be awful.
^ since uv left it so long u may as well let 2 years expire.

At least u won't fall foul of the new drivers charter or whatever it's called where u have to retake your test if u get 6 points within 2 years.
Automatics better for cruise control. Better off with a manual though.
Now I don't drive so maybe you could say "what does he know" but IMO, all cars made from today should be automatic and manual cars should be phased out. It would make driving so much easier surely.
hypnoticstate

Now I don't drive so maybe you could say "what does he know" but IMO, all … Now I don't drive so maybe you could say "what does he know" but IMO, all cars made from today should be automatic and manual cars should be phased out. It would make driving so much easier surely.

What do you know?
ei8hty5ive

just trying to convey my earlier point that autos cost more to run
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants