Struggling with School uniform costs? Your local council could help.

Editor 25
Found 31st Aug 2017
2778671-QFDKc.jpg
It's an expensive time of the year for those with kids. Uniforms, stationary and other costs come at once when term time rolls in.

What you may not know, is that you may be able to get help if you can't afford it, from your local council.

It's worth checking with the school to see if they can directly support you, or at least point you in the direction of someone who can, but in England and Wales, your council may also be able to help.

The grant normally applies to maintained schools, colleges for further education and Sixth Form. The grant is normally reserved for uniform, but they sometimes are able to assist with non-uniform clothes, shoes, sports or PE kits.

How do I find out if i qualify?

Firstly, contact the school to see if they provide direct assistance. Otherwise, contact your local council who may be able to help. You can search for details on the Gov UK site HERE

How much can I get?

That's dependant on your local authority. Coucils such as Greenwich offer grants from £40 to £100 dependant on your circumstances.

In Northern Ireland, grants are available for up to £56 for school uniforms and up to £22 for PE Kits.

Where can i get more info?

I've dropped some links below dependant on your location.

Northern Ireland
England & Wales
Scotland
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
School uniform is cheap, i got stuff at lidl, trousers £1.25, jumper the same, two pk of polo shirts the same i think and shoes for £6, but outside of that offer i can get trousers £5 a pair £2.50 for polo shirts, shoes for £12, etc, my kids school offers advertising service for second hand uniforms (logo ones)

I think that is the point, there is absolutely no reason why some schools should demand you wear things with a logo or from there shop, providing you can obtain similar alternative in the same colours they really shouldn't be able to moan, if they insist on having their logos on things they should simply provide cloth badges, removable ones with the safety pin on the back
25 Comments
Not fair, according to the LBBD website: "the School Clothing Grant scheme, also known as School Clothing Allowance, was abolished in April 2016".

lbbd.gov.uk/res…ew/
Nothing for West Sussex County Council... The schools here are struggling to afford to keep their teachers due to cuts to the school budgets! Come on Theresa May sort it out.....
Lancashire county council stopped it as soon as the Tories got in. If children in care or foster then they can apply.
School uniform is cheap, i got stuff at lidl, trousers £1.25, jumper the same, two pk of polo shirts the same i think and shoes for £6, but outside of that offer i can get trousers £5 a pair £2.50 for polo shirts, shoes for £12, etc, my kids school offers advertising service for second hand uniforms (logo ones)

I think that is the point, there is absolutely no reason why some schools should demand you wear things with a logo or from there shop, providing you can obtain similar alternative in the same colours they really shouldn't be able to moan, if they insist on having their logos on things they should simply provide cloth badges, removable ones with the safety pin on the back
Segata-Sanshiro29 m ago

School uniform is cheap, i got stuff at lidl, trousers £1.25, jumper the …School uniform is cheap, i got stuff at lidl, trousers £1.25, jumper the same, two pk of polo shirts the same i think and shoes for £6, but outside of that offer i can get trousers £5 a pair £2.50 for polo shirts, shoes for £12, etc, my kids school offers advertising service for second hand uniforms (logo ones) I think that is the point, there is absolutely no reason why some schools should demand you wear things with a logo or from there shop, providing you can obtain similar alternative in the same colours they really shouldn't be able to moan, if they insist on having their logos on things they should simply provide cloth badges, removable ones with the safety pin on the back

Christ £12 for shoes...I bloody wish it cost me that much.

Madams who's 10 size 5 £44.99

The boy is 12 size 8 £54.99
Same here, Clarks is a killer, but the quality is fantastic which gets them through the year.
ThugBasher1 h, 7 m ago

Christ £12 for shoes...I bloody wish it cost me that much.Madams who's 10 …Christ £12 for shoes...I bloody wish it cost me that much.Madams who's 10 size 5 £44.99The boy is 12 size 8 £54.99

ThugBasher1 h, 7 m ago

Christ £12 for shoes...I bloody wish it cost me that much.Madams who's 10 …Christ £12 for shoes...I bloody wish it cost me that much.Madams who's 10 size 5 £44.99The boy is 12 size 8 £54.99

I get supermarket ones depending on which i get i need to buy two to three pairs a year, I don't expect much from the £6 lidl ones but I'll give em a go. I spent £60 on kickers once never again they lasted 4 months.

P.E is less of a problem slip on plimsolls £2.50, they last as they only use them for indoor P.E
Segata-Sanshiro2 h, 8 m ago

School uniform is cheap, i got stuff at lidl, trousers £1.25, jumper the …School uniform is cheap, i got stuff at lidl, trousers £1.25, jumper the same, two pk of polo shirts the same i think and shoes for £6, but outside of that offer i can get trousers £5 a pair £2.50 for polo shirts, shoes for £12, etc, my kids school offers advertising service for second hand uniforms (logo ones) I think that is the point, there is absolutely no reason why some schools should demand you wear things with a logo or from there shop, providing you can obtain similar alternative in the same colours they really shouldn't be able to moan, if they insist on having their logos on things they should simply provide cloth badges, removable ones with the safety pin on the back

I mainly agree with you but how old are your kids out of curiosity I'm thinking primary school.

I've only ever bought my kids uniform I the 25% off sales at sainsburys as that works out cheapest and their uniform actually seems too last the year. Never seen uniform in my local Lidl so can't take up the great prices you posted above.

Secondary school seems to cost an arm and a leg though. I'm lucky in that only the blazer has school logo and they need a specific tie for the house colour. Other than that its all black which is great. PE they're supposed to wear logo t-shirt and joggers but they're quite lax so I'm happy for now.

Shoes though I learnt you buy cheap you end up paying more in a year instead of buying a good pair in the first place, supermarket ones tend till need replacing quickly. Eldest 14 leather ones cost £20 from tkmaxx can't remember which brand but they've lasted him a year and still going strong. Second one 12 and his were £12.50 from the clarks outlet again used for a few months and hopefully will see him through most of year 8 too. Primary the kids don't have anything other than sensible shoes so the younger 2 wear nike trainers costing a tenner each from the nike factory shop.

Primary schools shouldn't force logos on the kids uniform that you can't buy separately to pin on. My primary you either wear the correct colours or you can buy the logo uniform which makes it easier for parents that aren't so well off. As long as the kids are clean and tidy and presentable then that's all that should matter. I do however think that there should be uniforms in place otherwise you'd probably get some kids turning up in their pyjamas
Segata-Sanshiro3 h, 18 m ago

Secondary school is different to primary.
my daughter has to wear
- blazer £28
- Tailored none elastic trousers which Must have a logo on at least £12.99 each and of corse she needs a few pairs
- black flat shoes not trainers or cheaper pumps or flats I found some for around £18 this time
- white shirts Asda £5 for 2. Needs 5/6 so that's £15
- pe t shirt with logo £23
-leggings or shorts £14 for some decent leggings that don't go see through.
other things like socks fortunately don't have to have the logo on so I just get black primark ones.
And a new school bag isn't a must every year but my daughters is worn so that's just set me back £22
plus believe it or not the school (which insists on the logos being on trousers and skirts) make us pay 50p per logo which they attach to the trousers.
Uniform costs so much for older ones
i forgot to include trainers in that that list for pe.
I even had to take my daughter to school today so a, male, teacher could see her in the trousers and ok them or not. Only after they've been seen by him and okayed then they will put the badge on. It's so ridicilulous
Edited by: "LeahsMintytoutou" 31st Aug 2017
adhkarzf35 m ago

I mainly agree with you but how old are your kids out of curiosity I'm …I mainly agree with you but how old are your kids out of curiosity I'm thinking primary school. I've only ever bought my kids uniform I the 25% off sales at sainsburys as that works out cheapest and their uniform actually seems too last the year. Never seen uniform in my local Lidl so can't take up the great prices you posted above. Secondary school seems to cost an arm and a leg though. I'm lucky in that only the blazer has school logo and they need a specific tie for the house colour. Other than that its all black which is great. PE they're supposed to wear logo t-shirt and joggers but they're quite lax so I'm happy for now. Shoes though I learnt you buy cheap you end up paying more in a year instead of buying a good pair in the first place, supermarket ones tend till need replacing quickly. Eldest 14 leather ones cost £20 from tkmaxx can't remember which brand but they've lasted him a year and still going strong. Second one 12 and his were £12.50 from the clarks outlet again used for a few months and hopefully will see him through most of year 8 too. Primary the kids don't have anything other than sensible shoes so the younger 2 wear nike trainers costing a tenner each from the nike factory shop. Primary schools shouldn't force logos on the kids uniform that you can't buy separately to pin on. My primary you either wear the correct colours or you can buy the logo uniform which makes it easier for parents that aren't so well off. As long as the kids are clean and tidy and presentable then that's all that should matter. I do however think that there should be uniforms in place otherwise you'd probably get some kids turning up in their pyjamas

Mines 7, what's wrong with having the logo on a detachable badge, could they complain if you cut the logo out and stuck it on a badge backing yourself for later use?
Segata-Sanshiro27 m ago

Mines 7, what's wrong with having the logo on a detachable badge, could …Mines 7, what's wrong with having the logo on a detachable badge, could they complain if you cut the logo out and stuck it on a badge backing yourself for later use?

You understood me wrong my primary you can wear with or without the logo as long as you have the correct colour uniform.

Wait till yours refuses to wear supermarket school shoes. It's a nightmare they don't really care about the uniform but the shoes as they get older oh man its not worth the effort sometimes lol. I can imagine if I said to my eldest here's some asda shoes I think he'd look at me all panicked trying to see if I'm serious or pulling his leg. (Actually might do that just too annoy him )
LeahsMintytoutou46 m ago

Secondary school is different to primary.my daughter has to wear- blazer …Secondary school is different to primary.my daughter has to wear- blazer £28 - Tailored none elastic trousers which Must have a logo on at least £12.99 each and of corse she needs a few pairs- black flat shoes not trainers or cheaper pumps or flats I found some for around £18 this time- white shirts Asda £5 for 2. Needs 5/6 so that's £15- pe t shirt with logo £23 -leggings or shorts £14 for some decent leggings that don't go see through.other things like socks fortunately don't have to have the logo on so I just get black primark ones. And a new school bag isn't a must every year but my daughters is worn so that's just set me back £22plus believe it or not the school (which insists on the logos being on trousers and skirts) make us pay 50p per logo which they attach to the trousers.Uniform costs so much for older ones i forgot to include trainers in that that list for pe.I even had to take my daughter to school today so a, male, teacher could see her in the trousers and ok them or not. Only after they've been seen by him and okayed then they will put the badge on. It's so ridicilulous

My nieces primary is like that I'm like since when do 5 years olds near to wear blazers, shirts and ties! I can imagine changing for PE will be great fun. Personally just want the younger ones to be comfortable as long as they smartly dressed that's all thar should matter. State schools are slowly trying to go private in the uniform side of things and its just silly.

They use the argument we're teaching them that when they start work they won't be able to wear whatever they want. I beg to differ so many of the high paid jobs they can wear whatever they want as long as it's smart. My brothers all in really good computing jobs can wear what they like as long as they're neat and tidy. My hubby in a a skilled but low paid job has too wear a uniform. So are ther preparing our kids to work in the likes of Argos, Asda etc as it seems those are the kinds of places where you have a uniform. Saying that I hate shops that don't have a uniform you can't be sure who the sales assistant is always.
adhkarzf8 m ago

My nieces primary is like that I'm like since when do 5 years olds near to …My nieces primary is like that I'm like since when do 5 years olds near to wear blazers, shirts and ties! I can imagine changing for PE will be great fun. Personally just want the younger ones to be comfortable as long as they smartly dressed that's all thar should matter. State schools are slowly trying to go private in the uniform side of things and its just silly. They use the argument we're teaching them that when they start work they won't be able to wear whatever they want. I beg to differ so many of the high paid jobs they can wear whatever they want as long as it's smart. My brothers all in really good computing jobs can wear what they like as long as they're neat and tidy. My hubby in a a skilled but low paid job has too wear a uniform. So are ther preparing our kids to work in the likes of Argos, Asda etc as it seems those are the kinds of places where you have a uniform. Saying that I hate shops that don't have a uniform you can't be sure who the sales assistant is always.

Yes I agree, I've a few times stopped a customer in new look and asked if they work there only to be told no lol. Embarrassing I think they should wear a uniform but there is absolutely no need for all these isolations for not having a label on the trousers etc. I think my daughters school has made things so regenerated there, and half the pupils argue about it so it's not working. It really does get my goat. They are there to be taught not judged on what they are wearing to the extreme. I get that it can help to ease bullying for clothing that someone who wasn't wearing uniform. But if they just didn't tolerate billing there would be no bullies. A basic uniform should be fine in my opinion.
adhkarzf46 m ago

You understood me wrong my primary you can wear with or without the logo …You understood me wrong my primary you can wear with or without the logo as long as you have the correct colour uniform.Wait till yours refuses to wear supermarket school shoes. It's a nightmare they don't really care about the uniform but the shoes as they get older oh man its not worth the effort sometimes lol. I can imagine if I said to my eldest here's some asda shoes I think he'd look at me all panicked trying to see if I'm serious or pulling his leg. (Actually might do that just too annoy him )

We will see, right now he prefers the proper work style shoes to trainers, if he carries on like that those are pretty cheap builders\army shoes
adhkarzf39 m ago

My nieces primary is like that I'm like since when do 5 years olds near to …My nieces primary is like that I'm like since when do 5 years olds near to wear blazers, shirts and ties! I can imagine changing for PE will be great fun. Personally just want the younger ones to be comfortable as long as they smartly dressed that's all thar should matter. State schools are slowly trying to go private in the uniform side of things and its just silly. They use the argument we're teaching them that when they start work they won't be able to wear whatever they want. I beg to differ so many of the high paid jobs they can wear whatever they want as long as it's smart. My brothers all in really good computing jobs can wear what they like as long as they're neat and tidy. My hubby in a a skilled but low paid job has too wear a uniform. So are ther preparing our kids to work in the likes of Argos, Asda etc as it seems those are the kinds of places where you have a uniform. Saying that I hate shops that don't have a uniform you can't be sure who the sales assistant is always.

Catholic school round here makes them wear ties, if a job wants you to wear branded uniform they give it to you for free, well lend in many cases until you leave
Segata-Sanshiro1 h, 52 m ago

We will see, right now he prefers the proper work style shoes to trainers, …We will see, right now he prefers the proper work style shoes to trainers, if he carries on like that those are pretty cheap builders\army shoes

I wish you luck my friend clothing them gets harder as they get older
Our secondary school blazer are £50!
total uniform cost for year 7 was £250!
and that's the basic
Ive only bought one PE kit even though he needs 2:(
each PE kit is £60
My kids uniform was great last year, we could get most things from Tesco etc. Now they have changed the uniform completely to an awful tarten box pleat skirt , wool cardigan and tie that you can only get at a uniform shop. They have even changed the pe kit so you can't get that cheap either.
Edited by: "loumar76" 1st Sep 2017
I've got 4 aged 5,3,2,1. Best start saving now for high school uniform eh?
I have a 7yr old who takes a size 12-13yrs so Aldi is out. I have to get stretchy waistband trousers because she can't cope with fiddly buttons when she needs a wee which means Asda £5 a pair or boys trousers (apparently boys get elasticated waists and girls don't) and turn them up about five inches. Shirts are Sainsbury's when they have 25% off. Shoes are from the supermarket as there's no way I'm paying £35 for Clarks shoes when she'll grow out of them in a months time! Her school insists on their own jumpers (£12.50), PE tops & jumpers plus the dreaded blazer which is £30! The first one was free but now she needs a new one and I can't afford it! They freak out if you have the 'wrong' school dress from the supermarket (£8 for two) and not their own £10 each which bobbles within a month. I can see why they want everyone in the same uniform items to keep it smart but why don't they issue us with the badges and let us buy from a certain store e.g. Sainsbury's. Then they would all be the same shade of whatever colour but a lot cheaper so we could all have the correct things.
If they insist on specific logos they should be cheaper
Sandwell council help and unison members get help the only down side is the deadlines for applications has passed now but good info for next year x
Segata-Sanshiro31st Aug

The school my kids go to charge £18.50 for a jumper so not cheap at all for some. I've tried to reason with the school but they won't budge on the jumper/cardigan. No alternatives allowed and only 2 places sell it. The jumper is distinctive not just because of the badge but the colour combo too. And I have to buy for 3 and no shoes but Clarks are good for my boys. Tried everything from Asda and Tesco to Kickers and even Sports Direct. Only Clarks last a fullyear and they are £40+ a pair.
For school shoes I would recommend Ricosta. They last and last, and are still going strong after being outgrown. About £35-40 but the longevity makes them good value.

My only gripe with them, like all brands AFAICS, is that they stop doing sensible girls shoes after 9 or 10. Why can't an eleven year old girl have black closed top waterproof shoes with girly, hearts and flowers etc, motifs? The demand is there so WTF is wrong with the manufacturers?

For day to day uniform, I have found Asda is the best quality/value.
I have 3 kids. 12 years old boy and 11years old twins boy and girl. This is my shopping list:
-jumper (logo):£10.95/kid
-PE kit must be logo even the socks: £80/kid
-t-shirt(logo):£7.95/kid
-black trousers:£10/kid
-locker in school:£20/kid/year(non refundable)
-bus to school: £10/kid/week
Plus PE bag. Bagpack.lunchbox.trainers and football shoe. Plus calculator, pen etc.
We are around £500 just to start and I'm not speaking about schooltrips and camps.
gord221st Sep

The school my kids go to charge £18.50 for a jumper so not cheap at all …The school my kids go to charge £18.50 for a jumper so not cheap at all for some. I've tried to reason with the school but they won't budge on the jumper/cardigan. No alternatives allowed and only 2 places sell it. The jumper is distinctive not just because of the badge but the colour combo too. And I have to buy for 3 and no shoes but Clarks are good for my boys. Tried everything from Asda and Tesco to Kickers and even Sports Direct. Only Clarks last a fullyear and they are £40+ a pair.

Have you tried Geox? Check out Amazon.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants