Stuck on manoeuvres.

Found 25th Aug 2017
You may remember I'm the girl with no confidence but went for it with my driving and started lessons. All is fine I love driving but oh my god my coordination with manoeuvres is s**t. He said I'm test ready but I need to stop being hung up on manoeuvres and so negative. I've learnt that my coordination or my brain is really bad lol as just can't seem to remember what he says in my head yet with all the other aspects of driving I'm fine. He said to write it all down step by step and take to next lesson but I don't even know what to write if I can't do them! Do any of you have any tips that will make it easier for it all to stick in my brain or any websites where they tell you them step by step? Thanks. X
Community Updates
Ask
16 Comments
First keep calm . I presume by manoeuvres you mean 3 point turn , reversing round a corner .

When reversing the car steers like a boat (effectively you are moving the rear end which is your front wheels when reversing) to make it go in the direction you desire . Think "boat" when reversing . Good luck -it will come eventually and you will wonder why you ever had trouble with it .
relax and good lock
luck
Wear a skimpy top and a short skirt on your driving test.
I did and I passed. And I'm a man

If you're having parking problems and you see someone filming you, probably uploading it to YouTube.
Remember, the joke will be on them. They will have run out of battery power or storage space before you've parked up
I don't know if this will be possible for you but I found practice, practice, practice worked for me. Even when I had a great lesson I'd always focus on the 1 or 2 negatives and get hung up on them. My girlfriend would take me out and just let me practice all the things that I felt weak on. With me it was 3 point turn (turn in the road) and parallel park. She would take me to the narrowest road and the tightest spaces and get me to practice over and over.

On the day of my test the manouvers I had to do were 3 point turn and parallel park, the things that filled me with fear. Due to the fact that I'd practiced them so much, and in tricky conditions, when it came to the test they were really straightforward. The 3 point turn was on a road about 3 times wider than the one I'd practiced on (I was very tempted to do it in a 1er), and the parallel park I could have put a bus in. This was all with a car I'd never driven before because my instructors car was in a crash the day before my test!

It sounds like your instructor has confidence in you so go for it. If it's not possible for you to practice in your own time maybe ask your instructor for a couple of lessons where you just hit the manouvers. Good luck!!!
I actually passed my driving test first time but my co-ordination is terrible and I have an even bigger problem to overcome than you as i can not tell left from right! I am not joking, my brain can not remember which is left and which is right, and this is fundamental to driving!

I found the best way to deal with co-ordination is to practise driving so many times that it becomes second nature so you don't think about it, your brain goes into automatic drive. Get someone with a driving licence to sit next to you while you drive as often as you can. This is the only way to learn and build up confidence
Don't worry if driving instructor/testing officer says "take the next left" and you go right - only worry about you complete the turn correctly
When I was learning I had an issue with reversing round the corner. The trick is not to get too worried. I reversed around the corner and realised ideas way too far from the kerb. Convinced I must have failed, I turned to the tester and said. I'm just going to pull forward and straighten up. I did that and carried on thinking I had no hope. I passed.
If you think you have an issue with manoeuvres, spare a thought for my friend. She got in the car and started off down the road. She had got about ten yards when she realised she had forgotten to put her seatbelt on. She turned to the tester and told him she was just going to pull over and put it on. She did this and realised she had somehow pulled into a space she had no chance of getting out of. She pulled forward and hit the car in front. She reversed back and hit the car behind. At that point she realised it was a lost cause and got out of the car. They had to run down the road and fetch her instructor rescue her
Actually I've just remembered an even shorter test. My late husband failed before he even got it the car. This was back in the days of paper licences. He had forgotten to sign it. Instant fail
Don't over think things, If you fail just rebook it, Life is too short.

Going backwards is the same as going forwards but in reverse.
shauneco12 m ago

Don't over think things, If you fail just rebook it, Life is too short. …Don't over think things, If you fail just rebook it, Life is too short. Going backwards is the same as going forwards but in reverse.

But wouldn't it be easier if you had an owl's head?
psychobitchfromhell5 m ago

But wouldn't it be easier if you had an owl's head?

Yes it would, Until we have evolved, we'll have to make do with mirrors, cameras and glancing over shoulders.
shauneco20 m ago

Yes it would, Until we have evolved, we'll have to make do with mirrors, …Yes it would, Until we have evolved, we'll have to make do with mirrors, cameras and glancing over shoulders.

My car has reversing sensors and forward sensors and collision avoidance. My car is paranoid and risk averse. My car was a lump of iron ore when I passed my test. I do wish it would stop telling me when to stop. I know when to stop. And how far the car behind me is. I can see it. And don't start me on the sat nav lady......
"I've learnt that my coordination or my brain is really bad "

No. You've convinced yourself of this.Don't get hung up on this point. Convinve yourself the opposite.
How is your instructor teaching you? Mine did it in principle of 1m away from the object , car mirrors alligned with the end of the object and certain number of steering wheel turns at a correct moment ...
I remember your original post, well done for persevering.

There are some good youtube videos on driving skills. Mt daughter had big confidence issues with roundabouts and watching them helped.
Her co-ordination is also below average, but she still passed 1st. go. And 2 years on she still struggles to park a car, but has learnt to find the easiest spot to park in, so it doesn't really matter.
Good luck.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants