Groups

student council tax help please!

I am a student but my Oh works full time. We used to live in an apartment (band A) in leicester for which we paid council tax a total of £882.65. Due to my student status I was given £146.30 discount. We have now moved to a three bedroomed house (band b) and pay a total of £1029.75 but they have only discounted me £86.75 for being a student! This isnt right surely I should be getting more than that discounted? Any advice before i ringmy local authority and they try to swindle me with legal jargon?
    Thankyou x

12 Comments

Are you a full or part time student?

Original Poster

I'm full time at university

Ring your local Citizens Advice

If it's just you and your other half living in the house, you should get a 25% discount providing you have sent your Council Tax Exemption form off.

Have a read of this:

adviceguide.org.uk/ind…htm

Hope that helps.

does it say what the discount should be on thier website i.e percentage?

If it's just you and your other half living in the property, you should be entitled to a 25% discount (if you've sent your council tax exemption certificate off).

Have a read of this:

hotukdeals.com/ite…se/

Hope that helps.

You should not pay any council tax yourself, but obviously your oh has to. The discount is for a single occupancy. Just ask what discount you get if you are living by yourself, its exactky the same.

Just read the Leicester website it should be 25%discount, so £772.31 per year or a £257.44 discount
    ]http//ww…nts

]Guide for students

Original Poster

I cant seem to find the actual percentage on their website thats what im having trouble with.

Im at leicester uni x

Original Poster

ah got it thankyou everyone x

Tried to post 3 times now, but for some reason my post keeps disappearing :s

Anyways, on the citizen's advice bureau website it says 25%.

adviceguide.org.uk/ind…htm

Banned

Coldape;3834311

You should not pay any council tax yourself, but obviously your oh has … You should not pay any council tax yourself, but obviously your oh has to. The discount is for a single occupancy. Just ask what discount you get if you are living by yourself, its exactky the same.Just read the Leicester website it should be 25%discount, so £772.31 per year or a £257.44 discounthttp://www.leicester.gov.uk/your-council--services/housing/council-tax/ways-to-reduce-your-bill/discounts]Guide for students

if that is accurate then you didnt get the full 25% at your last property although this may be have a pro rata deduction if you started half way through that tax year. You can still claim if underpaid.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Golf DSG GTD Real MPG?69
      2. Need help with buying a 4K TV for gaming11
      3. Sold item on eBay from UK - buyer from USA89
      4. Which Kodi Add-ons?22

See more discussions