Groups

Students...do they pay tax on earnings?

A friend said as a student you dont pay tax on earnings..anyone know anymore info thanks..rep to helpers.

45 Comments

No tax up to a certain amount of hours i believe, not 100% sure though

Have to pay NI though

Supermod

You dont pay tax until you exceed your tax free limit.

Correct after 25hrs its taxable

Everyone gets a personal tax allowance of £6475 for the tax year 09-10, if you earn less than this you can reclaim any Income tax paid :thumbsup:

magicjay1986;6217285

You dont pay tax until you exceed your tax free limit.

:thumbsup:

Students pay tax like anybody else - once they get beyond their tax free limit.

Supermod

taurus_the_bull;6217290

...hmm...you sure about that?!!

Original Poster

i havent exceeded the tax free limit yet this tax year and have still been taxed...

Supermod

mamamia7;6217448

i havent exceeded the tax free limit yet this tax year and have still … i havent exceeded the tax free limit yet this tax year and have still been taxed...

Everyone has their own tax free limit depending on your code. Do they know you are a student. Did you pay PAYE or NI etc...

magicjay1986;6217348

...hmm...you sure about that?!!

...hmmm!

don't know

well when i used to work i did 20hrs...when i did overtime usually 45 hrs during holidays they tax'd the carp out of me

hence why i said you get taxed after a certain number of hrs you work and earn

Original Poster

how do i let them know im a student? thanks...rep to helpers already!

Supermod

mamamia7;6217506

how do i let them know im a student? thanks...rep to helpers already!

Call your local tax office.

[url]www.hmrc.gov.uk[/url]

You will be under "Individuals".

Good luck!

Supermod

taurus_the_bull;6217502

...hmmm!don't knowwell when i used to work i did 20hrs...when i did … ...hmmm!don't knowwell when i used to work i did 20hrs...when i did overtime usually 45 hrs during holidays they tax'd the carp out of mehence why i said you get taxed after a certain number of hrs you work and earn

It is all down to earnings etc and %. The more you earn, the more you pay as you pay on the percentage of your wages. Everyone has their own tax code (although these are bracketed by HMRC) so yours was probably maybe even emergency tax as you didnt have a code.

It might be worth calling your tax office and seeing if this is the case as you may be due a rebate. It is free to do but it takes a few months.

taurus_the_bull;6217290

wrong i work 21.25 hours per week and pay tax of about £100 - £120

depends on what you earn, usually over £6000 per year

is there any way of checking through the tax site to see how much you have earnt so far this tax year?

stigma;6217816

is there any way of checking through the tax site to see how much you … is there any way of checking through the tax site to see how much you have earnt so far this tax year?

should say on your wage slip

Supermod

stigma;6217816

is there any way of checking through the tax site to see how much you … is there any way of checking through the tax site to see how much you have earnt so far this tax year?

Wait for your P60.

i definately dont

nt sure if i should be :lol:

[COLOR="Red"]I'm a student and I earn £82K a year and I have to pay tax.[/COLOR]

The JFK;6218146

[COLOR="Red"]I'm a student and I earn £82K a year and I have to pay … [COLOR="Red"]I'm a student and I earn £82K a year and I have to pay tax.[/COLOR]

your not a student, you are at school, to be classed as a student u need to be at college or uni

micoo;6218168

your not a student, you are at school, to be classed as a student u need … your not a student, you are at school, to be classed as a student u need to be at college or uni

[COLOR="Red"]
    I have Students Union (NUS) card.
    I'm a student.

I'm in further education = student.
    Year 12&13 = student.

Understand?[/COLOR]

The JFK;6218193

[COLOR="Red"]I have Students Union (NUS) card.I'm a student.I'm in … [COLOR="Red"]I have Students Union (NUS) card.I'm a student.I'm in further education = student.Year 12&13 = student.Understand?[/COLOR]

Further Education = Uni/HNC/HND

NUS card means ****, u at uni or college???? if no, then your not a student your a skl pupil

Understand?

micoo;6218213

Further Education = Uni/HNC/HNDNUS card means ****, u at uni or … Further Education = Uni/HNC/HNDNUS card means ****, u at uni or college???? if no, then your not a student your a skl pupilUnderstand?

[COLOR="Red"]
    I'm in Sixth Form.

You probably don't understand all these things, being Scottish and all....[/COLOR]

The JFK;6218221

[COLOR="Red"]I'm in Sixth Form.You probably don't understand all these … [COLOR="Red"]I'm in Sixth Form.You probably don't understand all these things, being Scottish and all....[/COLOR]

doesnt make a single difference if ur in 6th form or not, further education is Uni or a degree at college, if u are neither your not a student, end of.

micoo;6218241

doesnt make a single difference if ur in 6th form or not, further … doesnt make a single difference if ur in 6th form or not, further education is Uni or a degree at college, if u are neither your not a student, end of.

[COLOR="Red"]I'm a student.
    I'm legally classed as a student.
    I have a Student Unions card.
    I have a £1.5M house.
    I'm a student.
    google.co.uk/sea…oq=[/COLOR]

micoo;6218241

doesnt make a single difference if ur in 6th form or not, further … doesnt make a single difference if ur in 6th form or not, further education is Uni or a degree at college, if u are neither your not a student, end of.

Higher education is what university education is called, whilst most sixth form and college education is "further education". Personally if somebody describes themself to me as a student, I would always assume that means they are at a university.

tinkerbell28;6218253

Erm Micoo you are a student at 6th form, that's how hubby did his a … Erm Micoo you are a student at 6th form, that's how hubby did his a levels sorry:oops: It's just a college equivalent really, just a different path.

Im a student at dundee uni, being scottish never did a levels we do highers and advanced highers :thumbsup: i finished school a year and a half ago

The JFK;6218257

[COLOR="Red"]I'm a student.I'm legally classed as a student.I have a … [COLOR="Red"]I'm a student.I'm legally classed as a student.I have a Student Unions card.I have a £1.5M house.I'm a student.http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=define%3Astudent&btnG=Google+Search&meta=&cts=1252193362203&aq=f&oq=[/COLOR]

You will get so excited by the sounds of it if you ever get a proper NUS card...

The JFK;6218257

[COLOR="Red"]I'm a student.I'm legally classed as a student.I have a … [COLOR="Red"]I'm a student.I'm legally classed as a student.I have a Student Unions card.I have a £1.5M house.I'm a student.http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=define%3Astudent&btnG=Google+Search&meta=&cts=1252193362203&aq=f&oq=[/COLOR]

your not a student, your not at uni
    i had a students union card when i was 14, didnt make me a student
    Who gives acrap how much ur house cost?? and why do u mention it every 5 posts :?
    Your not a student

micoo;6218271

your not a student, your not at unii had a students union card when i was … your not a student, your not at unii had a students union card when i was 14, didnt make me a studentWho gives acrap how much ur house cost?? and why do u mention it every 5 posts :?Your not a student

[COLOR="Red"]You claim you're a student but you don't know the difference between "you're" and "your"?[/COLOR]:?

The JFK;6218287

[COLOR="Red"]You claim you're a student but you don't know the difference … [COLOR="Red"]You claim you're a student but you don't know the difference between "you're" and "your"?[/COLOR]:?

i do know the difference jack ass i just cba typing it, i have proved im a student, unlike you who has just claimed to have proved it without actually proving it :thumbsup:

micoo;6218304

i do know the difference jack ass i just cba typing it, i have proved im … i do know the difference jack ass i just cba typing it, i have proved im a student, unlike you who has just claimed to have proved it without actually proving it :thumbsup:

[COLOR="Red"]How have you "proved" anything?
    Every claim I have made on this site I have backed up with proof.

YOU MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD?[/COLOR]

The JFK;6218310

[COLOR="Red"]How have you "proved" anything?Every claim I have made on … [COLOR="Red"]How have you "proved" anything?Every claim I have made on this site I have backed up with proof.YOU MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD?[/COLOR]

i posted many pics of me in my dundee uni ball kit, which u can only get from the dundee sports union, which u need to be a matriculated student at DU to get to, youve backed up nothing m8

YOU ANGRYYYYYYYYYYYYY?

Banned

micoo;6218304

i do know the difference jack ass i just cba typing it, i have proved im … i do know the difference jack ass i just cba typing it, i have proved im a student, unlike you who has just claimed to have proved it without actually proving it :thumbsup:

:thinking:

Trying to save wear and tear on the a couple of keys?:?

micoo;6218317

i posted many pics of me in my dundee uni ball kit, which u can only get … i posted many pics of me in my dundee uni ball kit, which u can only get from the dundee sports union, which u need to be a matriculated student at DU to get to, youve backed up nothing m8YOU ANGRYYYYYYYYYYYYY?

[COLOR="Red"]-I posted pics of me with my Vantage.
    -I've posted pics of my loose change (about £900)
    -I've posted pics of a small colection of my football trophies (about 30ish) I think I have over 100 in total.[/COLOR]

FilthAndFurry;6218328

:thinking:Trying to save wear and tear on the a couple of keys?:?

exactly :thumbsup:

FilthAndFurry;6218328

:thinking:Trying to save wear and tear on the a couple of keys?:?

[COLOR="Red"]I LOL'd.[/COLOR]

The JFK;6218334

[COLOR="Red"]-I posted pics of me with my Vantage.-I've posted pics of my … [COLOR="Red"]-I posted pics of me with my Vantage.-I've posted pics of my loose change (about £900)-I've posted pics of a small colection of my football trophies (about 30ish) I think I have over 100 in total.[/COLOR]

-you posted a pic of you and A vantage, i could do the exact same
    - i could post the same pic of more cash if i cba goin to the bank to get it
    -who honestly cares about your trophies? anyone who is reasonably good and played for a good team has tht many

micoo;6218345

-you posted a pic of you and A vantage, i could do the exact same- i … -you posted a pic of you and A vantage, i could do the exact same- i could post the same pic of more cash if i cba goin to the bank to get it-who honestly cares about your trophies? anyone who is reasonably good and played for a good team has tht many

[COLOR="Red"]I said I was getting a Vantage the day before I got it. What are the chances of me 'finding' a Vantage the next day and getting some pics with it unless I was going to buy one?

You know I have a Vantage.

Jealous, much?[/COLOR]
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Three connection910
      2. DVD storage34
      3. What will £250 get me second hand mobile44
      4. Iphone 7 - What Case?617

See more discussions