Study: Are we fitter as a nation than 3 years ago?

I am doing a study on this question and need some information and more imporantely statistics to prove we are / are not fitter.

I will break it down into:
-Sport partcipation.
-Levels of obesity.
-Our diets.

Any help is much appreciated.

10 Comments

Defo not, right bunch of lazy gits and the computer age hasn't helped

Banned

not a chance

-Sport partcipation - down
-Levels of obesity - massively increased. we now top the world junk food table
-Our diets - more ready meals therefore more chemicals / less nutrients

Sadly - I fail badly on the first two although I wouldnt say I'm obese lol

Banned

Of course we aren't.

Just take a visit to any high street at the number of fat people.

The old excuses - sedentary lifestyles, fast food/ready meals, Dawn French (lol).

As a nation we are less fit, more fat and less aesthetically appealing.

I would guess that a big impact in the last 30 years would be the decline of a lot of manual labour/manufacturing type jobs. That area might be worth exploring in more detail.

Don't worry once the recession continues and poverty levels rise, the new age skinnies will be able to offset the fat cats, quite literally.

I don't think Britain will be worrying about obesity in 15 years time.

Banned

wandereragro;7442545

Don't worry once the recession continues and poverty levels rise, the new … Don't worry once the recession continues and poverty levels rise, the new age skinnies will be able to offset the fat cats, quite literally.I don't think Britain will be worrying about obesity in 15 years time.

oh dear, you really are a ray of sunshine. Dont you have classes today.............

poverty increases obesity btw!

csiman;7443252

oh dear, you really are a ray of sunshine. Dont you have classes … oh dear, you really are a ray of sunshine. Dont you have classes today.............poverty increases obesity btw!

Ah yes, the classic assumption that people with declining incomes tend to procure cheaper, fatter meat. Only problem is that with income decreases and price hikes (due to falling sterlin value) people WILL be eating less. Take a look at any second world nation, they're not exactly littered with "tubby lard asses".

MaccyD's will also see a decrease in consumption as people eat out less. You'll also see a decline in "Indian Take-Aways" as well.

Banned

wandereragro;7443328

Ah yes, the classic assumption that people with declining incomes tend to … Ah yes, the classic assumption that people with declining incomes tend to procure cheaper, fatter meat. Only problem is that with income decreases and price hikes (due to falling sterlin value) people WILL be eating less. Take a look at any second world nation, they're not exactly littered with "tubby lard asses". MaccyD's will also see a decrease in consumption as people eat out less. You'll also see a decline in "Indian Take-Aways" as well.

we'll have to agree to disagree. Anyway, this is totally off topic. I dont think the OP (or anyone else for that matter) wants to hear your views on the state of our nation and there is certainly no need to hijack misc by posting inane comments all over the place about it. :-D

Banned

wandereragro;7443328

Ah yes, the classic assumption that people with declining incomes tend to … Ah yes, the classic assumption that people with declining incomes tend to procure cheaper, fatter meat. Only problem is that with income decreases and price hikes (due to falling sterlin value) people WILL be eating less. Take a look at any second world nation, they're not exactly littered with "tubby lard asses". MaccyD's will also see a decrease in consumption as people eat out less. You'll also see a decline in "Indian Take-Aways" as well.

Don't people rather paradoxically eat more junk food during times of recession?

FilthAndFurry;7443466

Don't people rather paradoxically eat more junk food during times of … Don't people rather paradoxically eat more junk food during times of recession?

Depends on a number of factors. If you're a lower-middle income earner who eats two take-aways a week, a decrease in earning is going to make you cut back on take away consumpton. But at the same time if you're say an upper-middle income earner, you may decline going to posh restaurants in favour of take-aways.

Judging by who the recession is going to hit most, and hit hardest, those in the lower income brackets, I would suspect that there would be a decrease in "junk food" consumption. It's not like Britain was exactly a nation of "quality food" eaters anyway. They are already eating junk food, and a decrease in earning is going to impact directly on consumption calorie intakes.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. (heads up) Mini SNES price finally dropped on Amazon pre orders22
    2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7763818
    3. GOT Leaks again413
    4. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread414214048

See more discussions