Found 12th Apr 2009
hey,
I've been looking into possibly studying abroad in the US for university.

The problem is it is really expensive. As far as i am aware, i cant get a government loan, but is there any other kind of government help that i could get for studying abroad? in the US?
I know there is something called Erasmus? but i think thats mainly for EU countries.

Anyone have any knowledge or know people who went to study in the US? Worth it?

cheers
mclovin.

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
21 Comments

Banned

just out of interest how come?, what are the benefits of studying in the U.S?

Original Poster

DangerGod;4904861

just out of interest how come?, what are the benefits of studying in the … just out of interest how come?, what are the benefits of studying in the U.S?

Uni looks a lot nicer, for my course in journalism, it is supposed to be a lot better. I have a place at Westminster uni for journalism, which is supposed to be quite a good journy uni, but seems the course is not accredited by the main governing body of journalism in the UK, which worries me ( although they claim to be one of the top Unis for journalism?)
I was interested in possibly going to the university of missouri - who have the first ever journalism school in the US. Looks really nice, and possibly North western university, just the fact they seem to charge extortionate amounts to foreign students - and so far my only idea is to marry an American woman and get a green card LOL :P

Banned

haha well sounds like a plan. good luck man!

Original Poster

DangerGod;4904908

haha well sounds like a plan. good luck man!

cheers bud

I'm also thinking of going to Uni in the U.S. I'm sure I could get a football scholarship although the money wouldn't be a problem anyway. I could probably get into a 'Major League Soccer's' starting line up and set the division on fire while I study.

Maybe play for the LA Galaxy? Becks and I would win the league on our own. With his crosses and passing ability I would score even more goals than I do at the moment! Then we would hit the clubs and other massive events (EG Superbowl, NBA Playoffs, PPV boxing matches etc) VIP style, I'm sure I could get him an extra ticket.

Original Poster

The JFK;4905102

I'm also thinking of going to Uni in the U.S. I'm sure I could get a … I'm also thinking of going to Uni in the U.S. I'm sure I could get a football scholarship although the money wouldn't be a problem anyway. I could probably get into a 'Major League Soccer's' starting line up and set the division on fire while I study. Maybe play for the LA Galaxy? Becks and I would win the league on our own. With his crosses and passing ability I would score even more goals than I do at the moment! Then we would hit the clubs and other massive events (EG Superbowl, NBA Playoffs, PPV boxing matches etc) VIP style, I'm sure I could get him an extra ticket.

Playing soccer in the US, is like bobsledding in the desert. US teams are terrible. Why play a sport they don't even know the proper name of?!

Anyway... Shoo troll!

Mclovin;4905129

Playing soccer in the US, is like bobsledding in the desert. US teams are … Playing soccer in the US, is like bobsledding in the desert. US teams are terrible. Why play a sport they don't even know the proper name of?!

'greed but the JFK brand would revolutionise the game in the US. If I went out there to play, all the top pros (EG Ronaldo, Messi, Kaka etc) will be gagging to play in the US.

I have a serious influence.

Original Poster

The JFK;4905154

'greed but the JFK brand would revolutionise the game in the US. If I … 'greed but the JFK brand would revolutionise the game in the US. If I went out there to play, all the top pros (EG Ronaldo, Messi, Kaka etc) will be gagging to play in the US.I have a serious influence.

Niice.

Original Poster

no one studied abroad then?

I was a student in the US for a few years although I paid for it myself. I had a fantastic time and would recommend it to everyone. I paid for it myself and you will find it expensive compared to here. Sometimes the University you are going to may have some kind of award for international students.

You could also try these guys ]http//ww…uk/.

good luck, people that study at my uni who come from abroad pay 3 times as much as i do, hopefully its not the same in US

Almost all universities have scholarship for foreign students.

takes a long time to sort out visa's and suchlike you will also need sponsorship

no financial help available at all(why would there be?)

You will pay more than US citizens and are unable to work on a student visa.

Costs will be very very expensive and you need to show in advance that you or family have access to the full costs including your living expenses or you are going nowhere

boothy;4905346

takes a long time to sort out visa's and suchlike you will also need … takes a long time to sort out visa's and suchlike you will also need sponsorship

The visa doesn't take long to sort out, I got mine without much problem. I don't think you need sponsorship, at least you didn't when I went there.

BTW Uni in the US is 4 years, not 3 years like the UK.

HTH.

i thought Fullbright scholarships were for masters/post grad studies?

anyways ...
fulbright.co.uk/ful…ism

Original Poster

wilbur7;4905299

I was a student in the US for a few years although I paid for it myself. … I was a student in the US for a few years although I paid for it myself. I had a fantastic time and would recommend it to everyone. I paid for it myself and you will find it expensive compared to here. Sometimes the University you are going to may have some kind of award for international students.You could also try these guys ]http://www.fulbright.co.uk/.

where did you go? has it helped you in employment?

Thanks for the link will look into it, think i will have to pay a visit to my college tutor!

I was in Seattle and like i say had a great time. I would say it helped with employment as it always came up in interviews. When I said about the Uni you are going to helping I meant the US University. My one had an international student office that helped with that kind of thing. Your Uni in the UK may have a exchange program with one in the US so that my be an option for you.

I will be going to study in the US starting in the fall semester 09. Regarding financial aid...There is very little. Here are a few sites where you can start looking (prepare for hours, days and in my case months of research) for aid:
]http//ww…rg/
]http//ww…rg/
]http//ww…id/
]http//ww…com
and of course
]http//ww….uk

If you have any questions etc feel free to PM me:thumbsup:

boothy;4905346

takes a long time to sort out visa's and suchlike you will also need … takes a long time to sort out visa's and suchlike you will also need sponsorshipno financial help available at all(why would there be?) Wrong see post aboveYou will pay more than US citizens and are unable to work on a student visa.You are allowed to work on the Uni campusCosts will be very very expensive and you need to show in advance that you or family have access to the full costs including your living expenses or you are going nowhereCorrect. To get the visa (f1) you need to show that you can afford the first year of study (in my case $32000)

The JFK;4905154

I have serious flatulence.

Yeah, every time you post everyone can smell sh*te..
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Whey protien615
    2. Driving anxiety.1416
    3. Toyota verso camera11
    4. THOMSON TUI 2 CRUISE PROBLEM - ANY HELP APPRECIATED11

See more discussions