stumped! dont know what car to go for!

72 replies
Found 15th Feb 2010
passed my driving test friday so now the search is on for a car. ive been adamant i wanted a fiesta st so drove one today. the ride wasnt smooth at all and soooo easy to stall but then again maybe its just cos im not used to that type of car? anyway ive decided maybe i would settle for an astra around 1.6l. havent test drove one yet but i like how they look and the insurance isnt too bad either.

so does anyone have an opinion on these 2 cars? drove both and think one is better than the other? the fiesta st is stunning to look at but not sure i can get away with the drive. i will however think about taking it out again to make sure and i will hopefully get round to test driving an astra

1. Misc
  2. Car
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Car
72 Comments

The Fiesta is extreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeemely loud. That's my input...sorry. Haha.

Congrats btw :thumbsup:

I am out of the loop, but I would imagine that the ST has a harder suspension setting which means that it will be bumpier on the roads, and jar a lot compared to a Fiesta "non" ST.
If you are getting busy in the back seats, it won't rock as much either.

It's easier to stall because you're not used to it, once you drove it, you'll stop stalling it.

Original Poster

angelfairee;7849265

The Fiesta is extreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeemely loud. That's my input...sorry. … The Fiesta is extreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeemely loud. That's my input...sorry. Haha.

they are gorgeous and i love being a passenger in one, however i cant believe how different it feels to be the driver of one. i drove my bosses focus yesterday and to compare the 2 was unbelievable, the focus was so smooth. the fiesta just felt really hard and bumpy but do i sacrifice the ride for the looks? ive been adamant on getting one for over a year!

[COLOR="Red"]Don't buy French.[/COLOR]

Original Poster

transit;7849275

Congrats btw :thumbsup:

Banned

vw golf tsi all the way!

Original Poster

thesaint;7849284

I am out of the loop, but I would imagine that the ST has a harder … I am out of the loop, but I would imagine that the ST has a harder suspension setting which means that it will be bumpier on the roads, and jar a lot compared to a Fiesta "non" ST.If you are getting busy in the back seats, it won't rock as much either.It's easier to stall because you're not used to it, once you drove it, you'll stop stalling it.

my brother has the fiesta st and he hates it. said if i can drive an st without stalling i can drive anything lol. i did stall but i also did drive it too haha.

maybe drive it again and also drive an astra?

donna-lou;7849300

they are gorgeous and i love being a passenger in one, however i cant … they are gorgeous and i love being a passenger in one, however i cant believe how different it feels to be the driver of one. i drove my bosses focus yesterday and to compare the 2 was unbelievable, the focus was so smooth. the fiesta just felt really hard and bumpy but do i sacrifice the ride for the looks? ive been adamant on getting one for over a year!

I loved driving for my first year or so but now I hate it. I don't even drive the Fiesta I bought, I still have a Corsa. My Dad has the Fiesta and it's a nice car, got a lot of power to it seeing as it's so little but it's so loud that I think it'll be gone soon. Bit of a disappointment to be honest.

I think you probably will find anything hard to stall when you're first starting to drive. You will get used to whatever car you drive though, it'll take a bit of time for that and also for your confidence to build up. What car did you learn in?

Original Poster

RFC;7849313

vw golf tsi all the way!

funnily enough my brother also has a golf and loves it. i dont like the look of them though

Original Poster

angelfairee;7849331

I loved driving for my first year or so but now I hate it. I don't even … I loved driving for my first year or so but now I hate it. I don't even drive the Fiesta I bought, I still have a Corsa. My Dad has the Fiesta and it's a nice car, got a lot of power to it seeing as it's so little but it's so loud that I think it'll be gone soon. Bit of a disappointment to be honest.I think you probably will find anything hard to stall when you're first starting to drive. You will get used to whatever car you drive though, it'll take a bit of time for that and also for your confidence to build up. What car did you learn in?

i learnt in a fiesta zetec s, thinking it cant be too different from the st. the noise doesnt bother me, i love the grumbling sound when they start. hmmm maybe have to try it once more just to be sure

Original Poster

The JFK;7849304

dont worry i wouldnt touch a french car with a bargepole!

Banned

I would drive a car with a smaller engine at first to get used to driving without your instructor.

donna-lou;7849370

i learnt in a fiesta zetec s, thinking it cant be too different from the … i learnt in a fiesta zetec s, thinking it cant be too different from the st. the noise doesnt bother me, i love the grumbling sound when they start. hmmm maybe have to try it once more just to be sure

I don't mean that kind of noise, I mean the noise on the road. It's just annoying really. And the petrol consumption is stupid.

The JFK;7849304

donna-lou;7849379

dont worry i wouldnt touch a french car with a bargepole!

^^^1st rule of buying a car.

donna-lou;7849328

my brother has the fiesta st and he hates it. said if i can drive an st … my brother has the fiesta st and he hates it. said if i can drive an st without stalling i can drive anything lol. i did stall but i also did drive it too haha.maybe drive it again and also drive an astra?

Cars are a long term thing usually. I would buy a "run around" for now, and then you'll get a better idea of what you do and don't want in a car.

Original Poster

angelfairee;7849399

I don't mean that kind of noise, I mean the noise on the road. It's just … I don't mean that kind of noise, I mean the noise on the road. It's just annoying really. And the petrol consumption is stupid.

i know they guzzle petrol but i was willing to overlook that cos i loved them so much haha. could it not be because i learnt in a diesel and this is petrol? i rarely stalled in my instructors car and he said petrols are easier to stall?

Original Poster

thesaint;7849418

^^^1st rule of buying a car.Cars are a long term thing usually. I would … ^^^1st rule of buying a car.Cars are a long term thing usually. I would buy a "run around" for now, and then you'll get a better idea of what you do and don't want in a car.

no. i wont buy a run around. i want a car that i want (if that makes sense?) im looking to pay 7-8k so i want a nice one. i wont buy it til i know its the right one

donna-lou;7849431

i know they guzzle petrol but i was willing to overlook that cos i loved … i know they guzzle petrol but i was willing to overlook that cos i loved them so much haha. could it not be because i learnt in a diesel and this is petrol? i rarely stalled in my instructors car and he said petrols are easier to stall?

I'm not sure because I've never driven a diesel. When you've had more experience in driving and getting used to the car I'm sure you'll be fine with any thing you choose. Are you set on getting a new car? I'd be tempted to get a cheaper crappier car until you've been on the roads a while...got to allow room for reversing into walls...not that I do that :whistling:

Original Poster

angelfairee;7849478

I'm not sure because I've never driven a diesel. When you've had more … I'm not sure because I've never driven a diesel. When you've had more experience in driving and getting used to the car I'm sure you'll be fine with any thing you choose. Are you set on getting a new car? I'd be tempted to get a cheaper crappier car until you've been on the roads a while...got to allow room for reversing into walls...not that I do that :whistling:

nah i dont want a crappy car. im a bit of a car nut so want something i wont be embarrassed to be seen in. id rather get a car i like and keep it for a good few years than get a crap one for 6 months or so then another

Congratulations on passing the test. :thumbsup:

A Fiesta is a good choice. Running and servicing costs are reasonable and tyres aren't overly expensive. It's easy to drive, well built and it's popular so it won't plummet in value as quickly as a cheapo brand. It's a good choice for a first car.

A 1.6l model might be a bit expensive for insurance as you won't have any no-claims built up yet. A 1.25l model might be cheaper to insure and will still be reasonable nippy. An ST will be obscenely expensive for a new driver trying to get insurance without no-claims.

donna-lou;7849502

nah i dont want a crappy car. im a bit of a car nut so want something i … nah i dont want a crappy car. im a bit of a car nut so want something i wont be embarrassed to be seen in. id rather get a car i like and keep it for a good few years than get a crap one for 6 months or so then another

What's your insurance likely to be on the ST out of interest?

Original Poster

Spod;7849516

Congratulations on passing the test. :thumbsup:A Fiesta is a good … Congratulations on passing the test. :thumbsup:A Fiesta is a good choice. Running and servicing costs are reasonable and tyres aren't overly expensive. It's easy to drive, well built and it's popular so it won't plummet in value as quickly as a cheapo brand. It's a good choice for a first car.A 1.6l model might be a bit expensive for insurance as you won't have any no-claims built up yet. A 1.25l model might be cheaper to insure and will still be reasonable nippy. An ST will be obscenely expensive for a new driver trying to get insurance without no-claims.

ive looked into all that. fiesta st insurance £1600 the 1.6 astra will be £1100

Original Poster

angelfairee;7849531

What's your insurance likely to be on the ST out of interest?

£1600

which for a new driver i dont think is bad

donna-lou;7849542

£1600which for a new driver i dont think is bad

Ouch.

Well congrats on passing your test and good luck on the car choice!

Banned

you need more revs in a petrol car.....always much more gas than in a diesel if you lkearnt in a diesel you will have teething probs getting used to petrol engines

as for the ride in the fiesta, it will be stiff and bumpy coz its got sports suspension etc

whats the cost on the insurance for that, coz as a new driver youre gonna get hit hard if you take out your own insurance especially on a sporty 1.6

people are saying stay away from french but i would recommend a renault clio as anyones first car......best handling and pretty frugal and responsive for small engines same goes for peugeot 206

Original Poster

angelfairee;7849570

Ouch.Well congrats on passing your test and good luck on the car choice!

thanks hun!

tbh i adore the st, just wish it was nicer to drive. the astra is a good looking car but nowhere near as nice as the st. so do i go for comfort or looks?

Original Poster

casparwhite;7849630

you need more revs in a petrol car.....always much more gas than in a … you need more revs in a petrol car.....always much more gas than in a diesel if you lkearnt in a diesel you will havce teething probs getting used to petrol enginesas for the ride in the fiestsa, it will be stiff and bumpy coz its got sports suspension etcwhats the cost on the insurance for that, coz as a new driver youre gonna get hit hard if you take out your own insurance especially on a sporty 1.6 people are saying stay away from french but i would recommend a renault clio as anyones first car......best handling and pretty frugal and responsive for small engines same goes for peugeot 206

im not even gonna consider a french car. which car you wanting to know the insurance on? cos you mention fiesta then say about 1.6?

donna-lou;7849535

ive looked into all that. fiesta st insurance £1600 the 1.6 astra will be … ive looked into all that. fiesta st insurance £1600 the 1.6 astra will be £1100

So what would a 1.6 or 1.25l Fiesta be? Might be better to start with less power and cheaper insurance for a couple of years while the no claims build up. Could be a lot worse though. The insurance for young men wanting to drive an ST would be much, much higher!

Banned

donna-lou;7849670

im not even gonna consider a french car. which car you wanting to know … im not even gonna consider a french car. which car you wanting to know the insurance on? cos you mention fiesta then say about 1.6?

lol fiesta was 1600 i just saw......my bad i put 1.6 reading the astra comment.....fiesta is 2.0

so is that fully comp insurance as thats seems quite good price for a new driver, who is it with and is it ur own insuarance or named driver

Original Poster

Spod;7849718

So what would a 1.6 or 1.25l Fiesta be? Might be better to start with … So what would a 1.6 or 1.25l Fiesta be? Might be better to start with less power and cheaper insurance for a couple of years while the no claims build up. Could be a lot worse though. The insurance for young men wanting to drive an ST would be much, much higher!

no im not even considering a smaller engine fiesta. if i get a fiesta it will be the st.

donna-lou;7849670

im not even gonna consider a french car. which car you wanting to know … im not even gonna consider a french car. which car you wanting to know the insurance on? cos you mention fiesta then say about 1.6?

Fords hardly have a reputation for reliability.

Ford are (usually) nice cars to drive but not to own. That's if you're having to pay to keep them on the road, which I suspect you're not. :whistling:

Original Poster

casparwhite;7849739

lol fiesta was 1600 i just saw......my bad i put 1.6 reading the astra … lol fiesta was 1600 i just saw......my bad i put 1.6 reading the astra comment.....fiesta is 2.0so is that fully comp insurance as thats seems quite good price for a new driver, who is it with and is it ur own insuarance or named driver

thats my own insurance. i agree its not a bad price and isnt the reason im thinking of an astra. i was just hoping someone could offer an opinion on how these 2 cars feel to drive and if they have a preference. i just dont know if i liked how the st drives. i dont know if its cos im a new driver or cos im not used to the car or if it is an awful drive

Original Poster

tony_s1;7849827

Fords hardly have a reputation for reliability.Ford are (usually) nice … Fords hardly have a reputation for reliability.Ford are (usually) nice cars to drive but not to own. That's if you're having to pay to keep them on the road, which I suspect you're not. :whistling:

yes im paying it all myself, why wouldnt i be?

How about a Seat Ibiza? They look great and are nice to drive too.

tony_s1;7849827

Fords hardly have a reputation for reliability.Ford are (usually) nice … Fords hardly have a reputation for reliability.Ford are (usually) nice cars to drive but not to own. That's if you're having to pay to keep them on the road, which I suspect you're not. :whistling:

The last 5 new cars I've had have all been Fords and they've all been excellent. Only problem I've had on any of them, has been a wheel bearing on a Fiesta that has done 50k miles.
Guess I've just been lucky......................

bmw 6 series, no question

lol @fiesta

Banned

donna-lou;7849837

thats my own insurance. i agree its not a bad price and isnt the reason … thats my own insurance. i agree its not a bad price and isnt the reason im thinking of an astra. i was just hoping someone could offer an opinion on how these 2 cars feel to drive and if they have a preference. i just dont know if i liked how the st drives. i dont know if its cos im a new driver or cos im not used to the car or if it is an awful drive

which model astra is it......you are comparing 2 completely different cars.......1 is a sporty number and the other im presuming is just standard with normal suspension ,ride handling etc

if youve learnt in a diesel youll have a few probs like i already mentioned because the engine ticks over at a higher rate, you need to get used to it.....the fiesta is always gonna be a hard ride

depends what you want from a car.....

Original Poster

studentessa;7849880

How about a Seat Ibiza? They look great and are nice to drive too.

i dont like them. if i got a seat it would be a leon but still id rather have astra or fiesta st

Original Poster

casparwhite;7849903

which model astra is it......you are comparing 2 completely different … which model astra is it......you are comparing 2 completely different cars.......1 is a sporty number and the other im presuming is just standard with normal suspension ,ride handling etcif youve learnt in a diesel youll have a few probs like i already mentioned because the engine ticks over at a higher rate, you need to get used to it.....the fiesta is always gonna be a hard ridedepends what you want from a car.....

yeah i dont know if its cos im not used to petrol or what and if i can come round to liking it.

the astra im looking at is the sxi model

Original Poster

tinkerbell28;7849931

Donna are you a bit older? Don't foget also lads being a female, new … Donna are you a bit older? Don't foget also lads being a female, new driver or not will give her really good insurance quotes:thumbsup:

im 24 :thumbsup:
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. landlord trying to get tenant to purchase a new bed when the old one was al…79
    2. Any ideas for eye glare protection from computer screens?22
    3. Electric Bike Advice.11
    4. Foo fighters presale code.2424

See more discussions