Groups

Stupid question that's been bugging me for ages.....

What way up should tin/baking foil be??
    I always do shiny side up, but is there a difference??

26 Comments

shiney side up.. i think.. but i am a man

Heroin or cooking?

LOL what a great question

I always go shiny side up, don't know why :-D

Tanchi;4005671

shiney side up.. i think.. but i am a man

Does not matter.

I was a chef and know this is a fact - either side is as good as the other.

Predikuesi;4005679

Does not matter.I was a chef and know this is a fact - either side is as … Does not matter.I was a chef and know this is a fact - either side is as good as the other.

Thought so, I've never noticed either way when cooking my sunday lunch.. it still comes out burnt. LOL

Predikuesi;4005679

Does not matter.I was a chef and know this is a fact - either side is as … Does not matter.I was a chef and know this is a fact - either side is as good as the other.

Now the question is, why is one side shiny and the other side matte?

Magic_monkey;4005727

It is just the way most sheet metals come off the line. One side is always polished, but it is the same metal throughout. Some of the really cheap tin foils are not polished.

Magic_monkey;4005727

:?

starsparkle2311;4005745

don't think it matters, but i like shiny side up:thumbsup:

I think that this is what the manufactors want. To be honest, it comes off the roll shiny side up, so why not!

The question has evolved into how do you like your tinfoil?

electriclinux;4005850

The question has evolved into how do you like your tinfoil?

Medium rare pls

I've always wondered about this too!
    now I am wondering why I never though of asking anyone? :?
    Iz daft

One side is shiny because of the rollers that brush against it as it comes off the machine.

Aluminium foil is made by rolling sheets of aluminium between pairs of polished steel rollers. The process is repeated over and over until the aluminium is squeezed thin enough.

The catch is that aluminium foil for kitchen use is so thin that it's hard to work without it tearing, so the last rolling step (to get down to 0.0005-inch thickness) is done passing two foil sheets together facing each other. The sides that face the rollers get very shiny.

If you want to cook something you put the shiny side inwards, to radiate the heat inwards and your food cooks quicker and if you want to keep food cool, you put the shiny side outwards to reflect the heat outwards.

Makes Me Laugh How Some Folk Put This At The Back Of There Radiators To Reflect Heat Back In The Room,it Dosent Work Try It With A Turkey In The Oven After 2 Houres It Should Come Out Still Frozen Lol

Original Poster

LMAO - I just thought it was something to do with heat rising or wotever lol

I think shiny side up looks nicer :oops:

Banned

shiny side up and downat the same time :O

I've always wondered the same!

Original Poster

SunTzu;4005867

One side is shiny because of the rollers that brush against it as it … One side is shiny because of the rollers that brush against it as it comes off the machine.Aluminium foil is made by rolling sheets of aluminium between pairs of polished steel rollers. The process is repeated over and over until the aluminium is squeezed thin enough.The catch is that aluminium foil for kitchen use is so thin that it's hard to work without it tearing, so the last rolling step (to get down to 0.0005-inch thickness) is done passing two foil sheets together facing each other. The sides that face the rollers get very shiny.If you want to cook something you put the shiny side inwards, to radiate the heat inwards and your food cooks quicker and if you want to keep food cool, you put the shiny side outwards to reflect the heat outwards.

Have you read that from the tin foil fan club or something coz thats what I wondered about the heat thingy. I knew I was talking sense :lol: lmao

Original Poster

raptorcigs;4005880

Makes Me Laugh How Some Folk Put This At The Back Of There Radiators To … Makes Me Laugh How Some Folk Put This At The Back Of There Radiators To Reflect Heat Back In The Room,it Dosent Work Try It With A Turkey In The Oven After 2 Houres It Should Come Out Still Frozen Lol

ooh do they, I gonna give it a go lol

Original Poster

thesaint;4005672

Heroin or cooking?

lol, Would there be a dfference:w00t:

Original Poster

snowtiger;4005865

I've always wondered about this too! :)now I am wondering why I never … I've always wondered about this too! :)now I am wondering why I never though of asking anyone? :?Iz daft

I know........I can't believe I haven't asked before lmao

for baking potatoes shiny side in as I always though retained the heat

shiny side up ...for some reason seems more slippy if i put it shiny side down?!?!?!

people use tinfoil for cooking?
    I guess I was using it wrong http://www.defensetech.org/archives/tinfoil_study.jpg

shiny side on the food side , and ya should scrunch it up a bit first :roll:

Original Poster

octobergirl;4006164

for baking potatoes shiny side in as I always though retained the heat

I always use kithen roll lol

magicbeans;4006223

shiny side up ...for some reason seems more slippy if i put it shiny side … shiny side up ...for some reason seems more slippy if i put it shiny side down?!?!

Slippy? :?

electriclinux;4006265

people use tinfoil for cooking? I guess I was using it wrong

LMAO :lol:

owlass;4006657

shiny side on the food side , and ya should scrunch it up a bit first

ooo, thanks u Delia:p

jellybaby22;4006814

I always put the shiny side outside..cos it looks pretty and shiny....... … I always put the shiny side outside..cos it looks pretty and shiny....... x

Haha yh same here:-D
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764320
      2. Supermarket may have sold Sausages & Other Pork products may have been inf…34
      3. Help Me Find Bright Red Exterior Paint PLEASE22
      4. Report online material promoting terrorism or extremism814

See more discussions