Stupid Questions of the day number 1

16 replies
Found 10th Feb 2010
Not to me as I have no clue!

Is there anyway I can .....
1: find a spec of a laptop without it being turned on (its broken)
2: any way to wipe my pictures off there?
3. It is password protected once fixed, anyway a new user can use it?

1. Misc
  2. Laptop
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Laptop
16 Comments

1. Yes - google the product

Original Poster

vengod;7801657

1. Yes - google the product

I have done, there are lots of different models of the same laptop ( I think ) :thumbsup:

1. Yes, find the model number and looks up the specs on google.
2. Yes, pull out the hard drive maybe.
3. They could always do a fresh reinstall which would wipe the drive, and take off all the password protection.

Sloth/Mod

Remove the HDD and sell it as spares/repairs.

Original Poster

h_360;7801692

1. Yes, find the model number and looks up the specs on google.2. Yes, … 1. Yes, find the model number and looks up the specs on google.2. Yes, pull out the hard drive maybe.3. They could always do a fresh reinstall which would wipe the drive, and take off all the password protection.

Thankyou

Rep for you both for your time :-D

Original Poster

Syzable;7801693

Remove the HDD and sell it as spares/repairs.

:thinking: now it gets confusing!!!

:oops:

4lyons09;7801682

I have done, there are lots of different models of the same laptop ( I … I have done, there are lots of different models of the same laptop ( I think ) :thumbsup:

Have you tried the manufacturers website, sometimes they have a search feature which includes a serial number search which should be more accurate

Remove hard drive and buy or borrow a usb to IDE/SATA adapter, copy what you want off and then format the HDD to a secure stadard.

Sloth/Mod

4lyons09;7801705

:thinking: now it gets confusing!!! :oops:

HDD = Hard Disk Drive.

Original Poster

Celticsun;7801706

Have you tried the manufacturers website, sometimes they have a search … Have you tried the manufacturers website, sometimes they have a search feature which includes a serial number search which should be more accurate

Will have a look, thankyou :thumbsup:
Syzable;7801710

HDD = Hard Disk Drive.

:w00t: I knew that

:oops:

1. Get make and model number and search for spec. as vengod says.If you don't have access to a computer, your public library probably has a small network for public use.
2. Presuming it is a windows machine,(and you don't say), if you have a working optical drive you might be able to see and access your C drive through a linux live disk if you can obtain one; but you don't say how broken your machine is so it's difficult to say.
3. Passwords on resident OSs can be discovered running password crackers from an optical disk.

Banned

That's THREE questions!

3. It depends on what the password it for, it's usually possible to remove most of them but obviously the user has to find out how.

You can wipe the password with ]this

And yes, take out the drive and connect it to a working PC so you can delete whatever you want off there.

Original Poster

Pluun;7802899

That's THREE questions!

Yes, and?
The title does say Questions

I cant get it to turn on as the pin connector (if thats what its called) that the charger goes into is broken, I have 2 laptops with the same problem, something tells me I am being a bit rough with them!

Rep on the way thanks guys :thumbsup:

Toshiba Satellite by any chance?

BTW. The broken lappy will still sell on Ebay

Original Poster

rizla01;7805681

Toshiba Satellite by any chance?BTW. The broken lappy will still sell on … Toshiba Satellite by any chance?BTW. The broken lappy will still sell on Ebay

HP530 & MSI netbook, I dont do ebay anymore was screwed over, never again. Thanks for the heads up though :thumbsup:
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition59608
    2. Win a £100 Amazon Voucher From LoveMyVouchers11
    3. Win a Fisher-Price Think & Learn Teach 'n tag Movi @ Netmums33
    4. Win a Mama to Bee necklace from Blooming Lovely Jewellery, worth £249! @ Ne…33

See more discussions