Groups
    EXPIRED

Stuttering video/sound on Packcard Bell Dot notebook

Hello, I have a Packard Bell Dot Notebook, Ive had it a few years and don't use it often now as when ever watching any video content on BBC i Player, You tube, ITV player etc, in fact any video content it will constantly stutter with both the sound and video. I have looked on forums which suggest updating the drivers but it always says your driver is up to date, I hardly use it now because of this and rather than bin it I wonder if anyone knows what the problem might be. It runs on Vista (enough said!) and I have tried it through Firefox, Internet Explorer and Chrome and it does the same on all, The underneath of it on the left hand side does tend to get extremely hot and I was wondering if the fan had packed up would that be causing the stuttering? Thanks.

6 Comments

Could be overheating, video does work the cpu and graphics pretty hard, it is very common for fans to get choked up with dust and fluff, look at this

ftp://ftp.packardbell.com/pub…pdf

to see how to get at the fan, while you have it apart, clean off and replace the heat conductive paste between the cpu and fan

You need help and the most important help you need is to get rid of Vista - it is the worst OS ever created

You need someone a bit computer savvy to either install a linux os, win7 or possibly winxp (so long as you only use it for online @ well known sites).

Vista is a process hogger it will slow your system down

That said - you stated you checked for new drivers - for what?

Here's my list of To Do's
    Windows updates
    AntiVirus update and full scan
    CNet's Download App (uncheck run at startup) update all free versions needed
    FileHippos Updater (uncheck run at startup) update all
    MA-Config.com update all drivers
    CCleaner - clean history/temp, clean registry, remove startup items you don't need, remove all except last 4 restore points
    Wise Disk Cleaner - clean more junk, slim system (keep help but only keep wallpaper if needed
    Wise Registry Cleaner - clean registry, optimise
    MyDefrag - System Disk Monthly (if HDD)

It will take about 3 - 4 hours or more depending on system but you should see some improvement but a full install to a different OS would be less painful and more beneficial

mikey_d

Could be overheating, video does work the cpu and graphics pretty hard, … Could be overheating, video does work the cpu and graphics pretty hard, it is very common for fans to get choked up with dust and fluff, look at thisftp://ftp.packardbell.com/pub/itemnr/CS012A00/disass_man_dot_pb.pdfto see how to get at the fan, while you have it apart, clean off and replace the heat conductive paste between the cpu and fan

agreed - missed that thought

Original Poster

Thanks Mikey and Phil, I will try your suggestions, will need a few spare hours this week to try it.

Cassie1312

Hello, I have a Packard Bell Dot Notebook, Ive had it a few years and … Hello, I have a Packard Bell Dot Notebook, Ive had it a few years and don't use it often now as when ever watching any video content on BBC i Player, You tube, ITV player etc, in fact any video content it will constantly stutter with both the sound and video. I have looked on forums which suggest updating the drivers but it always says your driver is up to date, I hardly use it now because of this and rather than bin it I wonder if anyone knows what the problem might be. It runs on Vista (enough said!) and I have tried it through Firefox, Internet Explorer and Chrome and it does the same on all, The underneath of it on the left hand side does tend to get extremely hot and I was wondering if the fan had packed up would that be causing the stuttering? Thanks.

Cassie, the OS is not the issue. Streamed video relies on storing data in a buffer and if the buffer empties quicker than it is being topped up, you will lose frames in the video. There are several factors that contribute to this:

1. The network throughput is not quick enough to feed data into the buffer.
    2. The CPU is decoding the video so slow that by the time it has finished, the buffer has already emptied.
    3. Flash use of hardware acceleration is incompatible with your video card - try hardware acceleration switched on.
    4. Conversely to 3 above, Flash is using software acceleration and maybe hardware acceleration can improve - try hardware acceleration on.

For 1 and 2 above, monitor CPU and Network traffic by following these steps howto.techworld.com/app…ol/

For 3 and 4, see forums.adobe.com/thr…337

Original Poster

ElliottC

Cassie, the OS is not the issue. Streamed video relies on storing data in … Cassie, the OS is not the issue. Streamed video relies on storing data in a buffer and if the buffer empties quicker than it is being topped up, you will lose frames in the video. There are several factors that contribute to this:1. The network throughput is not quick enough to feed data into the buffer.2. The CPU is decoding the video so slow that by the time it has finished, the buffer has already emptied.3. Flash use of hardware acceleration is incompatible with your video card - try hardware acceleration switched on.4. Conversely to 3 above, Flash is using software acceleration and maybe hardware acceleration can improve - try hardware acceleration on.For 1 and 2 above, monitor CPU and Network traffic by following these steps http://howto.techworld.com/applications/3272980/how-to-use-windows-task-manager-as-a-troubleshooting-tool/For 3 and 4, see https://forums.adobe.com/thread/891337

Thanks Elliott, will have a play about with the settings.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Valspar paint11
      2. Private Number Plate11
      3. Raspberry pi as router for vpn24
      4. Xbox One Ex HDD Help11

See more discussions