Subway charging VAT for heating up a sandwich?

Found 9th Aug 2017
Just saw a sign in my local Subway saying they'll shortly start charging 20% VAT if you ask for your sandwich to be heated up. Has there been a recent change in VAT law I'm not aware or are Subway just taking the ****?
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
spoo2 m ago

That was about 5 years ago though.

Even McDonald's Baked Apple Pies would be cold after that period.
18 Comments
Yeah, remember Greggs arguing their food was 'cooling' and not hot, so they could avoid adding VAT to the food
Bloody Bexiters and remainers!!!
Original Poster
FreeDeal41 m ago

Yeah, remember Greggs arguing their food was 'cooling' and not hot, so …Yeah, remember Greggs arguing their food was 'cooling' and not hot, so they could avoid adding VAT to the food

spoo2 m ago

Even McDonald's Baked Apple Pies would be cold after that period.
spoo37 m ago

wow, didnt think it was that long ago.
Hot takeaway food is subject to VAT as opposed to buying general food which is vat free always been this way from way back
My local Subway often partakes in VAT fraud. I always have my sandwiches toasted and I always eat in, but for some reason the receipts always say 'Take out' with VAT only a couple of pence
More detail than I suspect that you couild possibly want is here: gov.uk/gov…ood

TL;DR - what you're describing is a legal requirement, and not a new one.
Edited by: "Illusionary" 9th Aug 2017
Original Poster
preecey2 h, 20 m ago

My local Subway often partakes in VAT fraud. I always have my sandwiches …My local Subway often partakes in VAT fraud. I always have my sandwiches toasted and I always eat in, but for some reason the receipts always say 'Take out' with VAT only a couple of pence

Hmm, so could be HMRC have wised up and instructed Subway to start charging VAT on hot food.

tbh I thought the plan to tax hot takeaway food (the Greggs pasty tax thing mentioned earlier) never actually happened and hot food was still tax free anyway.
What about meatball marinara then?
The law hasn't changed at all, but maybe your local subway have realised (or been made to realise) they have not been charging VAT when they should have.

The Greggs pasty tax change did not go ahead, but the changes that were planned don't affect the situation you describe anyway.

Basically, all take away food is subject to VAT when it is intended to be eaten (or kept) hot. This includes chips, pizzas etc and the hot subway sandwiches. It also includes any cold subway sandwiches that have been heated up (as they are now intended to be eaten hot)

The only exceptions are things like pies, which have just come out of the oven and are intended to be sold cold, but you just happen to buy whilst they are still hot.

The Greggs pasty thing was trying to include these 'cooling' pies, but didn't become law in the end.
What a stupid law, another poor tax
Original Poster
Pandamansays11 h, 10 m ago

The Greggs pasty thing was trying to include these 'cooling' pies, but …The Greggs pasty thing was trying to include these 'cooling' pies, but didn't become law in the end.

Aah okay, didn't realise that, I thought it related to hot food generally.

Pandamansays11 h, 10 m ago

The law hasn't changed at all, but maybe your local subway have realised …The law hasn't changed at all, but maybe your local subway have realised (or been made to realise) they have not been charging VAT when they should have.

If that's the case no Subways around Brum or the Black Country have been charging VAT on hot sandwiches, all the ones I've used have had the same pricing for years.
31665727-Ukw1o.jpgthats why i call for microwave man
Edited by: "kevlfc" 10th Aug 2017
What do they class as hot? They melt the cheese for about 10secs under the grill but you can hardly call their subs as hot... mildly luke warm maybe.
Edited by: "barriey" 10th Aug 2017
What if they ask you if you want the sandwich toasted?
Is that classed as entrapment?
barriey10th Aug

What do they class as hot? They melt the cheese for about 10secs under the …What do they class as hot? They melt the cheese for about 10secs under the grill but you can hardly call their subs as hot... mildly luke warm maybe.

anything above ambient temperature, is what is stated in the updated regulations.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants