Expired

Sucky insurance companies

Found 15th Mar
Just having a moan really - I made a claim on my car through Admiral because a mouse or rat ate the wiring on my car which cost £1100 to fix (should have cost more but the mechanics underestimated).

So my motorcycle insurance company (MCD) have just just informed me that because of this I have to pay them £60 and lose my protected NCD! Stupid policy!
Community Updates
AskFinance & Utilities
16 Comments
That's what happens isn't it you claim you lose your bonus unless you protect it
If your car was the problem how come you claimed through your motorcycle company or am I missed something
Original Poster
jjmmww16 m ago

That's what happens isn't it you claim you lose your bonus unless you …That's what happens isn't it you claim you lose your bonus unless you protect it

Yeah but I claimed on my car - nothing what-so-ever to do with my bike or the bike policy, it's not my fault but I'm the one who pays, multiple times over, would have worked out cheaper to get third party only cover and pay for it myself.
Original Poster
Manny502 m ago

If your car was the problem how come you claimed through your motorcycle …If your car was the problem how come you claimed through your motorcycle company or am I missed something

I claimed through Admiral for the car but Motorcycle Direct found out, and want to penalise me because Admiral logged it on some central database all the insurance companies use (I was supposed to tell MCD I made a claim).
Bigfootpete9 m ago

Yeah but I claimed on my car - nothing what-so-ever to do with my bike or …Yeah but I claimed on my car - nothing what-so-ever to do with my bike or the bike policy, it's not my fault but I'm the one who pays, multiple times over, would have worked out cheaper to get third party only cover and pay for it myself.

You made a claim so your premiums have risen. That's what happens. Doesnt matter if it was a claim on your car, you are deemed higher risk for having made a claim.
This is the correct procedure for an insurance company. You are now a higher risk customer due to your claim. Protection of no claims bonus is the biggest scam going and i'd recommend avoiding paying for it.
Maybe they were trying to hot wire it.

You think that sucks?someone stole my husband's car a few years ago. His policy was protected and stayed the same. Because he was a named driver on my policy, mine went up. Protected only works on the policy holder
Your insurance is based on what the company assume the risk of an individual is. If you have made a claim for damage to any vehicle then your risk goes up.
Also by law you have to declare all claims and accidents regardless of what policy covered you at the time. If you don’t then your insurance may be invalid
It's because they're a bunch of thieving bar stewards, you can have ten years ncb on a motorcycle but they don't offer a discount for car insurance yet as you've unfortunately just found out if you make a claim on your car policy they'll soon poke you up the rear end on any other policy you have.
Edited by: "Dyslexic_Dog" 15th Mar
Original Poster
farmlama2 h, 6 m ago

Your insurance is based on what the company assume the risk of an …Your insurance is based on what the company assume the risk of an individual is. If you have made a claim for damage to any vehicle then your risk goes up.

Then it's a flawed system, I have max no claims, then some rat damages my car and I'm supposedly at risk of having an accident on my motorcycle, oooook.
Bigfootpete4 m ago

Then it's a flawed system, I have max no claims, then some rat damages my …Then it's a flawed system, I have max no claims, then some rat damages my car and I'm supposedly at risk of having an accident on my motorcycle, oooook.

Some people may find their vehicle damaged and just take it on the chin and repair it themself, but you put an insurance claim in. You are a higher risk because you are more likely to put in claims even if it’s not the result of an accident I guess
Basically the insurance companies are not your mate. They do not have a system in place to save you money. They are profit making businesses that are wanting to get as much as they can.

they will give no claims discounts etc to lower risk customers because they feel that you will fill their pockets but less likely to ask for anything back.

if you make claims then they see that you are more likely to make claims and so will be less profitable, therefore you are a higher risk and they want you to may more to cover that.

it isn’t a flawed system, it is a profit making risk based system
Bigfootpete3 h, 51 m ago

I claimed through Admiral for the car but Motorcycle Direct found out, and …I claimed through Admiral for the car but Motorcycle Direct found out, and want to penalise me because Admiral logged it on some central database all the insurance companies use (I was supposed to tell MCD I made a claim).

Insurance companies do share information on claims made particularly if they are part of the same group. If you make a claim on car insurance you are required to inform any other insurances you may hold on Other vehicles that you made a claim. If you don’t that will be considered as fraud.
If you've made a claim you have to notify other companies you have other vehicles insured with
33454396-AoIcg.jpg
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions