Sudden sky signal loss on one box, other is fine?

Found 31st Dec 2017
Hi all

My sky setup.

Box 1 - 2x coaxial cable downstairs full signal no issues + viewing card.

Box 2 - 1x coaxial cable and no viewing card. Box has been used as free view box until recently. Coaxial cable runs over roof.

All of a sudden box 2 has no signal. I've tried changing input on back of box to no joy. I've tried outing viewing card from box 1 in and still no signal. I'm guessing there is something wrong with the Coaxial cable that runs over the roof since box 1 works perfectly fine and this leads me to think no issue with the LNB. I'm getting no signal 25 on box 2. I've also tried restarting box 2 numerous times to no joy.

Can anyone help? or offer any assistance? The weather has been pretty bad lately and the cable will have been blown about and snowed and rained on a lot recently.

Thanks for helping. Oh also of note I heard a recent rumour that sky somehow disabled sky boxes that didn't have viewing cards in to force people to buy a free view viewing card? whether or not this is true I think it doesn't affect me since the box still doesn't get a signal even with a fully paid subscription viewing card in.
Community Updates
AskEntertainment
6 Comments
It sounds like the cable but try box 2 downstairs to rule out the box being faulty.
These days the viewing card is tied to the box . Years ago you could put a valid viewing card in any Sky Box and it would work, not sure when that changed but these days without a valid viewing card you can't record ,playback (even stuff already recorded) , pause etc , but you can apparently use it as a freeview box .
Possible LNB failure ?
Original Poster
kester7638 m ago

Possible LNB failure ?

But how does the box downstairs on same LNB still work perfectly? I'm guessing the coaxial on the roof has worn down and signal has gone?
bbfb12344 m ago

But how does the box downstairs on same LNB still work perfectly? I'm …But how does the box downstairs on same LNB still work perfectly? I'm guessing the coaxial on the roof has worn down and signal has gone?

It's why they always swap out the LNB when you get a new sky box. They degrade overtime and any part of a quad LNB can fail.

Once you upgrade to Sky Q you lose the ability to use the older sky boxes.
Just a heads up if you need to have SKY to come out and repair/replace it, they will try and charge you a fee to come out if its not under warranty, so if they do say they will charge you just tell them you want to cancel your sky alltogether then, they will then knock the charge off 🏼 (well in theory anyway lol)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions