sugar alternative

Found 7th May
hey guys, ive been told by the Dr i need to lay off the sugar, the white stuff, the crystals of death.

so looking for alternative but not most sweeteners. ive been told about something called stevia but just wondering if any other natural alternatives?

thanks.
Community Updates
Ask
9 Comments
Question is why do you need to cut out sugar ? There is literally one medical condition that would require this and even that isn't really justified .

To answer your question the only way is to go with sweetener (they are absolutely fine )

If anyone else comes up with something stupid like honey or syrup etc then ignore it it's utter bs
Are you aware of how much sugar you're actually having? Sugar is in all sorts of foods and drinks already without people realising. You can cut your sugar intake at a stroke by changing to lower sugar alternatives. For example, yoghurt can be quite high in sugar, as can lots of breakfast cereals, and fruit juice.

You can slowly ween yourself off sugar in tea and coffee by reducing gradually. I used to take 2 sugars in my tea but now i'm down to about half a teaspoon. It takes perseverance, but recently someone accidentally gave me someone else's drink with 2 sugars in it, and it tasted so sweet now that it was undrinkable. You can buy granular sweeteners made with stevia extract if you crave sweetness, but i've found gradual reduction to be more effective in the long term.
2 reasons.

Specifically, a very substantial portion of the population have a truly massive weight problem. Most just have a weight problem (and the rest have to cope with the unutterable smugness and good fortune of having a metabolism that burns calories off). Specifically targeting the chubbies (which, my dear moderators, includes me so please don't axe the post) is not PC. So everyone gets targeted and in statistical terms, you therefore hit more of the target group.

BUT. Was watching the BBC morning show last week and the tall thin anchor mentioned that his quack warned him he is obese! What a joke.

More generally, it is fashionable and de rigeur in medical circles to blame weight for everything. bad breath. cancer. short sight. long sight. prostate. constipation. stammer. continence etc. Haven't seen it applied to left handed writing but time will tell.

Sugar = humongous dose of carbs and cutting carbs is helping me shed 20kg.

Wouldn't dream of preaching about how to cut sugar as so many of the twatterati do but here's what worked/works for me. it is far, far from perfect but better than it was

cold turkey approach to sugar in tea/coffee
caffeine free coke (gold). Diet tastes disgusting
sweet deserts are few and far between and only midday - other than very occasionally
stopped chocy/bars and alcohol other than when very depressed or partying

And for most of us, accept the challenge of living a good life before dying at a healthy age rather than after being admitted to a home for the terminally incontinent. I jest not! Die in your 70s having done everything and you will leave behind a story. Die in a home in your 80s wearing 'pads' and be the object of pity. 90s is different but your health and your family history will tell you if you have a realistic chance of making them in relative comfort.
mattsk11 h, 10 m ago

Question is why do you need to cut out sugar ? There is literally one …Question is why do you need to cut out sugar ? There is literally one medical condition that would require this and even that isn't really justified .To answer your question the only way is to go with sweetener (they are absolutely fine )If anyone else comes up with something stupid like honey or syrup etc then ignore it it's utter bs

Yeah, I posted this recently too.

hotukdeals.com/com…244

Stevia is actually expensive compared to a kilo of sugar though the mistake I made is how sweet it is, 200 - 350 times sweeter than sugar. You need to add only very small amounts to achieve the level of sweetness you expect with sugar.

Stevia leaf extract also has no calories due to the way your body metabolizes the sweetener.

Though I'm sure the same could be said about other sweeteners too.

stevia.com/faq/
Just make sure you don't exceed the recommended daily amount.

Cut out sweets, cakes, ice cream, juices, sugary drinks and you can still afford to put some sugar in a tea or coffee for example... No need to cut it out completely. It's the excess the problem.

In the right amount it doesn't hurt anyone and I'm fed up with the scaremongering about sugar, fats etc. It's eating too much of them that creates problems.
Edited by: "hearts22" 8th May
Thanks for responses. Apologies for the lack of response back. Just been enjoying bbqs over the break so will respond with questions. Again, thank you for your responses.
Stevia I use in Tea an Coffee
I bought stevia from aldi and it only had 2% of stevia in the ingredients. Rest of it was some normal sweetener.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants