Sugar replacement choices?

Posted 7th Jan
Looking for some advice to maybe lose a bit weight.
I've piled the weight on since getting arthritis in both knees in the last two years.
I'm going to make an effort to do some light exercise like maybe swimming in an attempt to lose some weight.
My biggest issue is I have a really sweet tooth (teeth).
Cut down from 6 sugars in my tea to 3 now😁
I just simply can't cut it out altogether.
I've tried the Stevia stuff but that just gives me an upset stomach and I chuff continuously.
So does/has anyone replaced their sugar craving with Canderel or Sweetex etc?
Just looking for a sweetener which is pretty close to sugar taste without having a bitter chemical after taste.
Appreciate any advice.
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
I cut out the sugar in one go, cold turkey style. I'll be honest, my drinks tasted disgusting for the first week but after that I got used to the taste of no sugar. Now I can't stand sugar!
43 Comments
Sorry, word of advice, some artifical sweeteners like fructose, avoid...can lead to gout.
I cut out the sugar in one go, cold turkey style. I'll be honest, my drinks tasted disgusting for the first week but after that I got used to the taste of no sugar. Now I can't stand sugar!
cis_groupie07/01/2020 15:30

I cut out the sugar in one go, cold turkey style. I'll be honest, my …I cut out the sugar in one go, cold turkey style. I'll be honest, my drinks tasted disgusting for the first week but after that I got used to the taste of no sugar. Now I can't stand sugar!

My wife did that...bahhhhh I feel sick thinking about it 😁
I

I cut out the sugar in one go, cold turkey style. I'll be honest, my …I cut out the sugar in one go, cold turkey style. I'll be honest, my drinks tasted disgusting for the first week but after that I got used to the taste of no sugar. Now I can't stand sugar!

I've cut down sugar in my tea from 2 to 1.5 to 1...couldn't go any lower. Well done to you.
If you have more than one cup in the day then try phasing it out...try to go lower during some cups...soon enough you will find the other cups too sweet.
If you are struggling to cut down the amount of sugar in tea do it over a longer period. Drop to two now. Then in a couple of months drop to one, then half for a couple of months. Then just don't have a bag of sugar in the house at all. If it's not there there is no temptation to put it in tea.

The other way to start cutting down is to not have that cup of tea at all. Swap one cup a day for a glass of milk and one a day for a glass of water. That's 6 spoons gone already. The milk will also help your knees.

The first hurdle is you have recognised the problem. Now it is time to act while you can. Good luck.
That's more sugar than tea!

Adapt & change, by carrying on the sugar reduction.& get an ebike for good exercise to not upset the knee's.

"sweet tooth" is all in the head ...keep getting stroppy with yourself mentally & change. I can even drink my espresso with no sugar (though it is sometimes my sugar exception) ..got to a take it or leave it, taste the layers of the drink without the mask of sugar. Don't try to substitute tea minus sugar with pepsi max or you'll spend £'s & pee more! (it is like crack for me, another thing I have to "control" ).
What are you doing about your general diet? Or were you drinking 10 cups a day with 6 spoons each?
dealtime07/01/2020 15:29

Sorry, word of advice, some artifical sweeteners like fructose, …Sorry, word of advice, some artifical sweeteners like fructose, avoid...can lead to gout.

Fructose isn't an artificial sweetener, it is fruit sugar...
Edited by: "guru404" 7th Jan
A lot of people use Sucralose based sweeteners. That is mostly what you will find as a sugar alternative in most coffee shops etc. Stevia is hit and miss for some people, I find it to be bitter. Another one is erythritol which when it comes to high street stores, I've only ever seen in Sainsburys.
smashed07/01/2020 15:59

What are you doing about your general diet? Or were you drinking 10 cups a …What are you doing about your general diet? Or were you drinking 10 cups a day with 6 spoons each?

Not 10, but at least 6 then of course sugar on cereal.
I'm terrible 😡
guru40407/01/2020 16:02

Fructose isn't an artificial sweetner, it is fruit sugar..

Thanks, then perhaps a replacement to sugar for some foods.
Well done on reducing the sugar in tea. However weight loss journey is more than sugar. Swimming is a fantastic idea. Have a look at water aerobics it’s such a laugh and a brill work out. Also looks at your day to day eating. Write a food diary and at the end of the week see what swaps you could do. They maybe small and simple like oil for spray oil, cutting fat off bacon, swapping white bread to whole meal etc
Stay strong and keep at it and keep us posted x
How big is your cup of tea?
3 sugar sounds a lot to me...

I suggest you try out fruit or herbal tea and don't put sugar in it.
Cisco06060607/01/2020 16:17

How big is your cup of tea?3 sugar sounds a lot to me...I suggest you try …How big is your cup of tea?3 sugar sounds a lot to me...I suggest you try out fruit or herbal tea and don't put sugar in it.

My dad has a standard mug and he has 4 teaspoons in it so it’s not much of a surprise to me
I remember cutting out sugar in hot drinks in one go. I was only in my teens & my whole family did it when my dad went on a health kick. Coffee was fairly easy but drinking tea without sugar was much tougher. Don’t like tea with or without sugar now.
Edited by: "captainbeaky" 7th Jan
i decided to leave out sugar from tea and coffee when i was a teenager. i just stopped putting the sugar in and it didn't take long to get used to the taste of tea and coffee without sugar. nowadays i don't like the taste of coffee or tea with sugar added as i have gotten so used to tea and coffee without sugar.

unfortunately i eat biscuits and cakes so my sugar intake is more than the average person. i haven't been able to reduce or stop that.

my mum stopped having sugar in her tea when she used canderel sugar instead. she could never drink tea without sugar but she found with canderel it was fine. she doesn't have a sweet tooth like i do but she couldn't drink tea without sugar added.

if you have put on weight then start dieting as that is absolutely necessary for losing weight. have a serious review of the foods you are eating and replace high calorie foods with lower calorie foods. gentle exercise carried out over a prolonged period on a regular basis is also very important if you want to lose weight.
It still contains sugar and also aspartame which some people like to avoid but I switched to silver spoon half spoon. Like you I tried all the other sweeteners and didn’t like them at all. I don’t use it a lot but it’s good for when I do and didn’t affect my weight loss when I lost 6 and a half stone. It’s half the calories of regular sugar and you only need half the amount. Again it’s not for everyone but I’m happy with it.
Edited by: "MiniMissyMoo" 7th Jan
If you can, cut out milk in tea and coffee too.

I did exactly this. Just push through it, I realise this sounds easier than it is. I now have no sugar in my coffee, although I can’t drink tea without, so just have 1 spoon and drink more tea than coffee.
If you can’t reduce the sugar you put in tea, just reduce the amount you drink
dorset_taco07/01/2020 16:59

If you can, cut out milk in tea and coffee too.

or use skimmed milk, which is lower in calorie.
mutley107/01/2020 17:27

I just don't have milk. It ruins the flavour of tea and coffee for me.
dorset_taco07/01/2020 17:33

Not for health reasons then?
mutley107/01/2020 17:27

If you put in about 10ml of semi skimmed it's about 5 calories. It's hardly anything in real terms.
To put it into context a normal 42g bar of Galaxy has 229 calories.
Fascinating. Do you struggle with any other similar/ dissimilar things? I’d have thought cutting sugar from hot drinks was easy. It’s certainly achieved easily in a practical sense .. just don’t add it but you can’t go without? Fascinating
dorset_taco07/01/2020 17:33

it is all about what you are used to, if you leave milk out of coffee and tea, you will soon get used to it and won't like it added to your drink. however it is unusual for people to drink tea without milk, black coffee is not as unusual.
GAVINLEWISHUKD07/01/2020 18:35

If you put in about 10ml of semi skimmed it's about 5 calories. It's …If you put in about 10ml of semi skimmed it's about 5 calories. It's hardly anything in real terms.To put it into context a normal 42g bar of Galaxy has 229 calories.

fully skimmed milk has even less calories than semi skimmed milk. i started to drink fully skimmed milk as my husband was into reducing calories. i have now gotten used to the taste of fully skimmed milk and find standard milk or semi skimmed taste poorer.
Maybe try honey. Its sweeter than sugar but more calories. I have 1 teaspoon in a tea or coffee
I used one called slimmer, from the only 2 places I could find that sell it are heron food and morrisons, it's miles sweeter than the normal sweeteners, so much nicer than the others
39617301-grlhC.jpg
Edited by: "Douglas_Birks" 7th Jan
mutley107/01/2020 18:37

it is all about what you are used to, if you leave milk out of coffee and …it is all about what you are used to, if you leave milk out of coffee and tea, you will soon get used to it and won't like it added to your drink. however it is unusual for people to drink tea without milk, black coffee is not as unusual.

Places such as India never have milk in their tea.
Reduced from 1 to 0.5 and now 0.
Can't stand tea with sugar.
How I do have couple of biscuits to go with tea.
dorset_taco07/01/2020 20:12

Places such as India never have milk in their tea.

I’ve heard a single Masala chai can kill a diabetic
Dannyrobbo07/01/2020 20:33

I’ve heard a single Masala chai can kill a diabetic

Being a diabetic for 43 years that is one of the funniest things I read in a very long time. Where did you hear that from, a Daily Mail/Express reader?
OP, I feel your pain, I was a 3 sugars in a cup of tea girl and switched to hermesetas. They aren’t the cheapest sweeteners you can buy, but after trying others (including Aldi’s own brand) this is the only one I can replace sugar in tea with. I must admit that I have 5 mini tablets in place of 3 teaspoons of sugar. I find the mini tablets to be easier to measure than spooned sweeteners and also keep a travel sized pack in my handbag if I go out.
B&M stores usually stock the travel size packs for 99p (if you wanted to try them). Just allow 4-5 days to get used to them.
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 7th Jan
ncd07/01/2020 21:25

Being a diabetic for 43 years that is one of the funniest things I read in …Being a diabetic for 43 years that is one of the funniest things I read in a very long time. Where did you hear that from, a Daily Mail/Express reader?

it was in response to Indians have plain tea. They don’t one of the most popular is masala tea and loaded with sugar spices and whole milk. Not meant to be taken literally. Also butter tea is a thing there
Edited by: "Dannyrobbo" 7th Jan
Dannyrobbo07/01/2020 21:39

it was in response to Indians have plain tea. They don’t one of the most p …it was in response to Indians have plain tea. They don’t one of the most popular is masala tea and loaded with sugar spices and whole milk. Not meant to be taken literally. Also butter tea is a thing there

Hmmmm... Ok

I'll be honest, this is the only way. I have half a spoon in my coffee, and that's only because of my no-carb days.
ncd07/01/2020 21:25

Being a diabetic for 43 years that is one of the funniest things I read in …Being a diabetic for 43 years that is one of the funniest things I read in a very long time. Where did you hear that from, a Daily Mail/Express reader?

I think they are referring to the milk used which is carbohydrate dense and can spike blood glucose levels. Looking at the ingredients, as in the tea on its own - It contains cinnamon which has been linked to helping with blood glucose levels (providing its ceylon, not bark).

Btw: I occasionally read the DM. So what are you saying, exactly?
Edited by: "guru404" 7th Jan
Dannyrobbo07/01/2020 21:39

it was in response to Indians have plain tea. They don’t one of the most p …it was in response to Indians have plain tea. They don’t one of the most popular is masala tea and loaded with sugar spices and whole milk. Not meant to be taken literally. Also butter tea is a thing there

Sorry, my mistake. I meant China, Japan and Turkey.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants