Suggestions for keeping busy after knee op

Found 24th Mar
My son is having a half knee replacement in a few weeks, he has had a major operation on his back about 10 years ago and he knows how frustrated and bored he gets when his mobility is limited. He's worried he'll drink too much and start using painkillers (as he has in the past) if he can't keep himself busy. He's self employed and can do some work from home, but keeping his mind occupied while his body recuperates is the concern. Any ideas guys?? He's timed his op for the week before the world cup starts, but there is only so much football even be can watch!!
Community Updates
Ask
22 Comments
Tims to get into gaming but even that will get boring lol its hard tbh but what i would recommend is maybe getting into a series. That helped me when i was in bed sick for sometime.
adeljay928 m ago

Tims to get into gaming but even that will get boring lol its hard tbh but …Tims to get into gaming but even that will get boring lol its hard tbh but what i would recommend is maybe getting into a series. That helped me when i was in bed sick for sometime.

I'd agree but I suspect that if he's of an age to be interested in gaming, then he will already have that.

Btw, can't fault him for his timing of the operation
Edited by: "deeky" 24th Mar
Yep either a games console or the free months trial of netflix to binge on boxsets
Original Poster
Thanks guys, but gaming isn't his thing. His work is conferencing/events management, he can work 24 hours a day when necessary, he manages an under 11s football team, cycles, goes to the gym, regular at music festivals (working or not), big Man City fan, walks the dogs miles. He's just on the go all day. He does read, loves music, but unless he has some scheme to concentrate on he can also go of the rails pretty easily.
Two weeks after ankle surgery and I am climbing the walls. I don't do gaming or football or any of that stuff. I walk miles and have a ten week old puppy i am itching to take out. I have another four weeks non weight bearing then another operation to go through before I even get to try walking again. Today I worked out how to do the ironing sitting down. i still have to master getting out into the back garden on crutches. I will have killed somebody by the time I'm mobile again. He has my sympathy
I don't know if he has any interest in such things but might I suggest a subscription to Ancestry.uk. Family History research is very time consuming if he's going to be laid up for a while.
Original Poster
psychobitchfromhell23 m ago

Two weeks after ankle surgery and I am climbing the walls. I don't do …Two weeks after ankle surgery and I am climbing the walls. I don't do gaming or football or any of that stuff. I walk miles and have a ten week old puppy i am itching to take out. I have another four weeks non weight bearing then another operation to go through before I even get to try walking again. Today I worked out how to do the ironing sitting down. i still have to master getting out into the back garden on crutches. I will have killed somebody by the time I'm mobile again. He has my sympathy

I can totally understand how you're feeling, it's so difficult to keep yourself occupied when, physically, you're so restricted. Its been a long winter too and to know your going to be stuck through spring and into summer to really sucks. You'll have amazing arm muscles though, that's one positive! Great opportunity to really get your puppy well trained? Make yourself some photo books? I've suggested my son really gets to grips with Photoshop/lightroom and teach his kids to do the same. We've got thousands of family pics that he could collate for everyone. If I anything else comes to mind I'll post it on here for you too.
Edited by: "booky" 24th Mar
Original Poster
jaketheplumber14 m ago

I don't know if he has any interest in such things but might I suggest a …I don't know if he has any interest in such things but might I suggest a subscription to Ancestry.uk. Family History research is very time consuming if he's going to be laid up for a while.

Good idea, his last grandparent only passed away last year so this may well spark his interest.
booky11 m ago

I can totally understand how you're feeling, it's so difficult to keep …I can totally understand how you're feeling, it's so difficult to keep yourself occupied when, physically, you're so restricted. Its been a long winter too and to know your going to be stuck through spring and into summer too really sucks. You'll have amazing arm muscles though, that's one positive! Great opportunity to really get your puppy well trained? Make yourself some photo books? I've suggested my son really gets to grips with Photoshop/lightroom and teach his kids to do the same. We've got thousands of family pics that he could collate for everyone. If I anything else comes to mind I'll post it on here for you too.

Puppy and I will be coming to blows soon. He needs more exercise than i can give him right now. . Am itching to get out in the fresh air and go for long walks again. I'm wondering if I can actually refloor the ensuite without having to stand up. The was my next diy project
Edited by: "psychobitchfromhell" 24th Mar
Original Poster
Wear him out mentally, hide and seek with treats. If you can't get outside pop a chair by the back door and throw a ball for an hour or so, better have a bag of balls until he learns to retrieve(!)
if i had a knee operation, i would want to make sure that i can continue to exercise the upper part of my body to keep active to compensate for not being very mobile.
OP stole my desired username.
To be helpful though, why not do some online courses? Loads of self improvement courses in all fields.
Working on the retrieve bit. Problem is i cant get to it when he doesn't retrieve
Original Poster
brooky_agn7 m ago

OP stole my desired username.

Sorry.
Times (and practises) have changed since his last op' 10 years ago, I had a spinal fusion last year (L4, L5, S1) and they got me up and out of bed the next day and kept me on the move, there's no medical reason for inactivity these days as it's been proven that lack of mobility hinders recuperation ... I was very sceptical after the op (only fainted on the nurse once and that was due to me holding my breath to use stomach muscles to assist spine) but haven't looked back ... Both my In-Laws have had knee op's in the last 5 years and were up and about the next day (they're both in their 70s!) ... Hope all goes well as knee op's aren't always successfull!
Original Poster
psychobitchfromhell12 m ago

Working on the retrieve bit. Problem is i cant get to it when he doesn't …Working on the retrieve bit. Problem is i cant get to it when he doesn't retrieve

That's why you need a bag of balls. Our dog is self entertaining, she always find a slope and will let the ball go at the top then chase down, pick the ball up being it back to the top and start all over again. Works great unless there is water at the bottom as she hates being wet!
booky29 m ago

That's why you need a bag of balls. Our dog is self entertaining, she …That's why you need a bag of balls. Our dog is self entertaining, she always find a slope and will let the ball go at the top then chase down, pick the ball up being it back to the top and start all over again. Works great unless there is water at the bottom as she hates being wet!

Our last house was behind a school. Never bought a football in all the years we lived there. Quite a shock when I had to buy one the other day. Imagine we will be going through quite a few in the next few months. I am now toying with the idea of sewing as you don't need a full set of limbs for that. I am hopeless at sewing. Has your son thought of learning a musical instrument? My son is learning the guitar at the moment and it keeps him occupied for hours
Has he got a garden and green fingers? He could grow fruit, veg, salads and flowers and reap the rewards.
Sounds like he enjoys his work.

How about building /updating his website?

Getting accounts and expenses up to date.

Maybe even some research into new business opportunities?
Original Poster
sarahsmith768 h, 7 m ago

Has he got a garden and green fingers? He could grow fruit, veg, salads …Has he got a garden and green fingers? He could grow fruit, veg, salads and flowers and reap the rewards.

Unfortunately his lawn is astroturfed to enable year round football!
Original Poster
Considering what he does as a job I've bought him a wildlife camera kit, probably too late for bird boxes this year but his garden does get badgers, birds of prey, moles ( underneath the astro turf!) Etc. He's going to make videos, learn guitar, grow tomatoes ....and watch England win the world cup. Thanks to everyone for your suggestions, much appreciated.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants