Suggestions for practical items to hand out to homeless people?

Found 30th Dec 2017
Friends & I will be handing out some food & essential items to those who are unfortunate enough to be living on the streets at this time; followed by hot food & drink at a cafe.

Any suggestions for useful items to hand out at this time of year (apart from food & drink)?
Community Updates
Ask
24 Comments
Gloves and hats
thermals, I bought loads from primark a few years ago and just handed out about 20 each of tops and bottoms.
Hats , gloves , socks , survival blanket. Not sure what they are called but the crinkly silver ones , they should keep warm and dry.
Original Poster
Thanks for all the suggestions...we have some of those covered. Wish I'd ordered those thermal survival blankets when they were on offer a few weeks back!
Where are you based? I have a few things I bought in bulk I’d love to donate to something like this.. It’s a really nice thing you and your friends are doing Hun...

I’d recommend toothbrushes, toothpaste, gloves, baby wipes, socks? Hand warmers, canvas bags? Hand sanitizer x
Edited by: "Love2shop25" 31st Dec 2017
Original Poster
I'm in west London and the others are in central & east London...it may be too late this time to pickup unless you are close by (PM me if you are!) but I think we'll try and do this regularly so we can always pick up later. But there's nothing to stop y'all from organising your own aid initiatives... either by yourselves or in partnership with local organisations.

Thank you for reaching out!

BTW, some great practical ideas!
Edited by: "frogman" 31st Dec 2017
frogman6 m ago

I'm in west London and the others are in central & east London...it may be …I'm in west London and the others are in central & east London...it may be too late this time to pickup unless you are close by (PM me if you are!) but I think we'll try and do this regularly so we can always pick up later. But there's nothing to stop y'all from organising your own aid initiatives... either by yourselves or in partnership with local organisations.Thank you for reaching out!BTW, some great practical ideas!

I’m in the North East but I’d love to help out by donating or even helping out like you are... I just wouldn’t know where to start or what to do to etc as I’m rubbish at organising 🙈 if the postage wasn’t so expensive I could have sent you 100’s of mini toothpastes I bought a while ago (no idea why)

Good luck with your charity event hun it a lovely thing to do, helping less fortunate people, especially around Xmas xx
Ooo I’ve been sat thinking... lip balm, vitamin pills? Maybe fill a cosmetic type bag with a few toiletries? Women’s sanitary pads/Tampax, Shampoo, Conditioner.. x
Original Poster
I bet you're not! I can try & put you in touch with some informal volunteering orgs if you'd like. The small tubes of toothpaste is a great idea as it has so many other practical uses such as hand cleaner, cleaner for trainers, etc.
I think it is time the government and local councils set up residential static caravan parks to help with the housing crisis, we have to admit we can not build homes quick enough or have the land, but you can easily fit 30 to 40 static caravans to an acre of land, plus your not technically building on the land so much of it can stay green. Plus they could be much more easier adapted for disabled people and the elderly as there on one level.

32954622-is8Jn.jpg
Edited by: "SOUTHWALES" 31st Dec 2017
Original Poster
Personally, I think we should stop selling off public housing stock; resource frontline orgs that help people cope with short-term & long-term mental health issues and stop private landlords ripping off their tenants. But, yes we do need short-term housing solutions...
Original Poster
Love2shop2523 m ago

Ooo I’ve been sat thinking... lip balm, vitamin pills? Maybe fill a c …Ooo I’ve been sat thinking... lip balm, vitamin pills? Maybe fill a cosmetic type bag with a few toiletries? Women’s sanitary pads/Tampax, Shampoo, Conditioner.. x

You are full of great ideas! Just thought I have loads of those airline & hotel toiletries... I might ask folks to donate some of those...
frogman15 m ago

Personally, I think we should stop selling off public housing stock; …Personally, I think we should stop selling off public housing stock; resource frontline orgs that help people cope with short-term & long-term mental health issues and stop private landlords ripping off their tenants. But, yes we do need short-term housing solutions...

Governments are obsessed with keeping property prices high for there rich mates, they know that demand is what keeps prices high, they probably don't want to build to many homes as they want to keep supply and demand high.
frogman5 m ago

You are full of great ideas! Just thought I have loads of those airline & …You are full of great ideas! Just thought I have loads of those airline & hotel toiletries... I might ask folks to donate some of those...

Thank you so much! Yeah those mini soaps, shampoo’s they give you in hotels would be great! Or even Stores own products?

32954694-xlOPP.jpg

Also possibly budget first aid kits? X
Original Poster
I think your idea for small containers of toiletries & cosmetics is best...may also get in touch with some of the local hotels to see if they have spares. Right, have to get some sleep as I have an early start (and I need all the sleep I can get!). Thanks and keep posting any ideas and I'll check first thing in the morning.
Hotuk comp t-shirt
Free samples (skincare, sanitary products, make up, stationary, promotional gadgets etc) ?

latestfreestuff.co.uk
Sandwiches
Hot drinks.
The Whitechapel centre in Liverpool gives out some advice on their website, here’s a link to things they need and things they already have a lot of, might be similar for other centres depending on whether you’re giving direct or to an organisation.

whitechapelcentre.co.uk/don…tml
mp3 players would be useful if you have the budget but if not then

socks
toothpaste and toothbrush
mouth wash
underpants
fresh mint
shower gel
Original Poster
Thank you all for your great ideas!

We spent most of the day dodging the NYE Fireworks cordon & security staff around the Embankment, Strand and Charing Cross. We managed to give out bags with socks, toothpaste, wet wipes, toiletries, ear plugs, thermal blanket, biscuits, chocolate, crisps and then went to get hot food & drinks for most of them.

We are planning to do this again regularly but will team up with local resources. Thanks again for your advice & support!

And as everyone said; best wishes for a very Happy New Year!
frogman42 m ago

Thank you all for your great ideas! We spent most of the day dodging the …Thank you all for your great ideas! We spent most of the day dodging the NYE Fireworks cordon & security staff around the Embankment, Strand and Charing Cross. We managed to give out bags with socks, toothpaste, wet wipes, toiletries, ear plugs, thermal blanket, biscuits, chocolate, crisps and then went to get hot food & drinks for most of them.We are planning to do this again regularly but will team up with local resources. Thanks again for your advice & support!And as everyone said; best wishes for a very Happy New Year!

You deserve a medal for being so caring and generous
Original Poster
mutley11 h, 15 m ago

You deserve a medal for being so caring and generous

We all have money & time and we can choose to spend both in any way possible. I am really tired after walking around lugging these heavy bags but the reward more than made it worthwhile. Given the chance, I am sure many people would do the same - just not stupid enough to do it on New Year's Eve
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants