SUGGESTIONS ON WHICH IPAD TO BUY

Posted 14th Jan
Hi,

I'm wanting to buy an iPad - but really struggling to figure out which is the best for my money. I'll be using it for pretty much everything I do digitally and online, especially with the new iPadOS.

I've been looking at the latest model iPad Pro, iPad Pro 2017 (10.5 and 12.9), and the latest iPad Air 3rd generation. I can get the 2017 Pro, second hand, for around £300, whereas a second hand Pro (latest model) is around double that price second hand, and even more new. The iPad Air sits in the middle of these prices brand new.

I'd love a Pro for it's ProMotion Technology, better sound system and camera, but I'm swaying towards the 2017 model to benefit from a better price.

My main worry: will I get much usage out of buying a 2017 model now, if Apple discontinue updates for this model in a couple of years time? Is it worth just spending double the amount and going for a 2018 model? Or is it a much wiser decision to go for a brand new iPad Air?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

28 Comments
Hi, i have the 2018 model of the iPad Pro 11” and i love it. The camera is (to my surprise) very good (both front and back) but obviously the rear camera is better. People have noticed on Facetime that i’m using my iPhone X as to normally using my iPad Pro for Factome because they can tell the difference between the quality of the video/camera. You mentioned sound also, the sound is very good on the Pro and does quite loud but they’re still built in speakers, i connect mine to wireless headphones or bluetooth speaker if listening to music/watching something.

Like you said i think it comes down to price with this. I’d either go for latest 2018 model iPad Pro (if you really want all the extras but spend more) or go for the iPad Air 3rd Gen as that sits in the middle of price point out of the three.

You’re gonna have to make the decision, i feel you struggle, been in this situation many times, being torn between which model of iPhone/iPad to get

Either way i don’t think you can go wrong. Sure you’ll be happy with which ever option you go for but thats my 2 cents worth.
InsaneNun14/01/2020 11:50

Hi, i have the 2018 model of the iPad Pro 11” and i love it. The camera is …Hi, i have the 2018 model of the iPad Pro 11” and i love it. The camera is (to my surprise) very good (both front and back) but obviously the rear camera is better. People have noticed on Facetime that i’m using my iPhone X as to normally using my iPad Pro for Factome because they can tell the difference between the quality of the video/camera. You mentioned sound also, the sound is very good on the Pro and does quite loud but they’re still built in speakers, i connect mine to wireless headphones or bluetooth speaker if listening to music/watching something.Like you said i think it comes down to price with this. I’d either go for latest 2018 model iPad Pro (if you really want all the extras but spend more) or go for the iPad Air 3rd Gen as that sits in the middle of price point out of the three. You’re gonna have to make the decision, i feel you struggle, been in this situation many times, being torn between which model of iPhone/iPad to get Either way i don’t think you can go wrong. Sure you’ll be happy with which ever option you go for but thats my 2 cents worth.

Thank you very much!

I'm currently looking at second hand Pros (latest models) as there's no way I can afford a brand new one - and I may consider an Apple refurbished one. Though my worry with this is directly from Apple, the only affordable model for me is the 64gb one, and I feel if I'm spending that much money, then I should be getting more storage.

So yeah, I'm currently looking on Gumtree for models with more storage, for around the same price as Apple charge for a refurbished 64gb device itself.

I would just cut the s*** and go for the Air, but would worry that if I got that, I'd be wishing for the ProMotion technology and better speakers (and ultimately regret it)

SO DIFFICULT. But again, thank you for your help
tom.dalkins14/01/2020 11:55

Thank you very much!I'm currently looking at second hand Pros (latest …Thank you very much!I'm currently looking at second hand Pros (latest models) as there's no way I can afford a brand new one - and I may consider an Apple refurbished one. Though my worry with this is directly from Apple, the only affordable model for me is the 64gb one, and I feel if I'm spending that much money, then I should be getting more storage.So yeah, I'm currently looking on Gumtree for models with more storage, for around the same price as Apple charge for a refurbished 64gb device itself.I would just cut the s*** and go for the Air, but would worry that if I got that, I'd be wishing for the ProMotion technology and better speakers (and ultimately regret it) SO DIFFICULT. But again, thank you for your help

No worries. Just as a reminder you can pay for iCloud Storage for sonewhat reasonable prices from Apple where (i believe) you can store data/files etc on iCloud and have access to download it from the Cloud to your iPad at anytime. The plans are:

39672824-AUvxh.jpg
InsaneNun14/01/2020 12:26

No worries. Just as a reminder you can pay for iCloud Storage for sonewhat …No worries. Just as a reminder you can pay for iCloud Storage for sonewhat reasonable prices from Apple where (i believe) you can store data/files etc on iCloud and have access to download it from the Cloud to your iPad at anytime. The plans are: [Image]

Yep, I did think of this and whether the storage size on an iPad when buying is actually relevant. I do already pay for iCloud storage in case my phone ever broke, but I'm not sure how easy it is to just get by day-to-day by using iCloud as primary storage?
Just spend the most you can afford and get the best you can. No point buying older tech if you can afford newer...
Bargainhead14/01/2020 13:50

Just spend the most you can afford and get the best you can. No point …Just spend the most you can afford and get the best you can. No point buying older tech if you can afford newer...

Good way to look at it I suppose!
tom.dalkins14/01/2020 13:50

Good way to look at it I suppose!

Apple will Normally update for 5 years at least, so a 2017 model will get updates in 2022
Bargainhead14/01/2020 13:54

Apple will Normally update for 5 years at least, so a 2017 model will get …Apple will Normally update for 5 years at least, so a 2017 model will get updates in 2022

Which most likely will only provide updates until for another 2-3 years and be worthless after that I'm guessing.
tom.dalkins14/01/2020 13:56

Which most likely will only provide updates until for another 2-3 years …Which most likely will only provide updates until for another 2-3 years and be worthless after that I'm guessing.

You can still use and most things will still work, unlike android after that long.. but go for newer..
tom.dalkins14/01/2020 13:47

Yep, I did think of this and whether the storage size on an iPad when …Yep, I did think of this and whether the storage size on an iPad when buying is actually relevant. I do already pay for iCloud storage in case my phone ever broke, but I'm not sure how easy it is to just get by day-to-day by using iCloud as primary storage?

Neither am i to be honest. It worth a Google i suppose if it can be done and if so how is it done.
InsaneNun14/01/2020 14:28

Neither am i to be honest. It worth a Google i suppose if it can be done …Neither am i to be honest. It worth a Google i suppose if it can be done and if so how is it done.

Was just having a look around, I think it's just as simple as downloading the iCloud Drive app.
tom.dalkins14/01/2020 15:08

Was just having a look around, I think it's just as simple as downloading …Was just having a look around, I think it's just as simple as downloading the iCloud Drive app.

Already installed, you can buy extra storage as well, but you can get external drives for iPhones and iPads...
Bargainhead14/01/2020 15:42

Already installed, you can buy extra storage as well, but you can get …Already installed, you can buy extra storage as well, but you can get external drives for iPhones and iPads...

I was just having a look on how to do it on my phone, as the 'files' app contains none of my photos/videos (which are automatically uploaded to iCloud) - to access them via. iCloud, I have to go to icloud.com via. Safari... I'm assuming this is the same for iPad? If so, seems a bit unpractical...
tom.dalkins14/01/2020 15:52

I was just having a look on how to do it on my phone, as the 'files' app …I was just having a look on how to do it on my phone, as the 'files' app contains none of my photos/videos (which are automatically uploaded to iCloud) - to access them via. iCloud, I have to go to icloud.com via. Safari... I'm assuming this is the same for iPad? If so, seems a bit unpractical...

Never know with Apple these days. They make a lot of simple tasks difficult to do in one way or another

although i have used iCloud.com and believe everything is uploaded to iCloud drive which *i believe* is a program/app you download to have access to everything. (As someone mentioned above)
InsaneNun14/01/2020 16:13

Never know with Apple these days. They make a lot of simple tasks …Never know with Apple these days. They make a lot of simple tasks difficult to do in one way or another although i have used iCloud.com and believe everything is uploaded to iCloud drive which *i believe* is a program/app you download to have access to everything. (As someone mentioned above)

Yeah, I called support to find out and they said that there's no app for it. So really, the solution to using iCloud as your primary source of storage and opting to go for a lower storage device to save money means that you have to go to iCloud.com to access photos and constantly delete them from your device library. Not ideal.
tom.dalkins14/01/2020 16:15

Yeah, I called support to find out and they said that there's no app for …Yeah, I called support to find out and they said that there's no app for it. So really, the solution to using iCloud as your primary source of storage and opting to go for a lower storage device to save money means that you have to go to iCloud.com to access photos and constantly delete them from your device library. Not ideal.

Had a feeling there'd be some sort of catch/disadvantage to it.

I was just having a look on how to do it on my phone, as the 'files' app …I was just having a look on how to do it on my phone, as the 'files' app contains none of my photos/videos (which are automatically uploaded to iCloud) - to access them via. iCloud, I have to go to icloud.com via. Safari... I'm assuming this is the same for iPad? If so, seems a bit unpractical...

Photo & videos uploaded to iCloud appear in the photos app by default. To save them to a specific folder in iCloud you need to (after clicking the share button) use “save to files” & pick a folder.

This option isn’t available in all apps but you can always do it from the photos app.
Edited by: "captainbeaky" 14th Jan
InsaneNun14/01/2020 16:21

Had a feeling there'd be some sort of catch/disadvantage to it.

I suppose Google Drive/Google Photos or something may be worth considering.
captainbeaky14/01/2020 16:23

Photo & videos uploaded to iCloud appear in the photos app by default. To …Photo & videos uploaded to iCloud appear in the photos app by default. To save them to a specific folder in iCloud you need to (after clicking the share button) use “save to files” & pick a folder. This option isn’t available in all apps but you can always do it from the photos app.

Okay. So to put things into perspective, is there a way to free up storage space, keep the photos/videos stored in iCloud and keep them in the photos app?
tom.dalkins14/01/2020 16:23

I suppose Google Drive/Google Photos or something may be worth considering.

captainbeaky14/01/2020 16:23

Photo & videos uploaded to iCloud appear in the photos app by default. To …Photo & videos uploaded to iCloud appear in the photos app by default. To save them to a specific folder in iCloud you need to (after clicking the share button) use “save to files” & pick a folder. This option isn’t available in all apps but you can always do it from the photos app.

Dunno whether that reply is any help (second quote) - i don't use i Cloud storage as an alternative to internal storage on the actual iPhone.

no you can set it up in settings so anything uploaded atomaticly goes to all devices..
tom.dalkins14/01/2020 16:26

Okay. So to put things into perspective, is there a way to free up storage …Okay. So to put things into perspective, is there a way to free up storage space, keep the photos/videos stored in iCloud and keep them in the photos app?

Not sure again on this but i should imagine so... I can have my whole 3000+ music library on my iPhone but they're not downloaded, they're played through internet via the cloud. But i do have the optuion to download them if i want. I'm not sure if it's the same for Photos etc.
Edited by: "InsaneNun" 14th Jan
Bargainhead14/01/2020 16:27

no you can set it up in settings so anything uploaded atomaticly goes to …no you can set it up in settings so anything uploaded atomaticly goes to all devices..

Yeah that's what I currently have. I'm more concerned about how you actually access your media if you delete it from the device storage and just have it stored in iCloud.
tom.dalkins14/01/2020 16:26

Okay. So to put things into perspective, is there a way to free up storage …Okay. So to put things into perspective, is there a way to free up storage space, keep the photos/videos stored in iCloud and keep them in the photos app?

Yep. If you’ve got the optimise storage tab selected (settings/photos) iOS does this automatically just storing thumbnails or low quality versions of your pictures in photos & then downloading full image from iCloud when you view.
captainbeaky14/01/2020 16:37

Yep. If you’ve got the optimise storage tab selected (settings/photos) iOS …Yep. If you’ve got the optimise storage tab selected (settings/photos) iOS does this automatically just displaying thumbnails or low quality versions of your pictures in photos & then downloading full image when you view.

Oh I see. So as I currently have this on, all photos and videos in my library aren't actually stored on my device, they're stored in the cloud? I just went to one of my most recent photos, and there weren't really any signs of downloading the photo when clicked on, though if I go to delete it, it says "This photo will be delted from iCloud Photos on all your devices.".
tom.dalkins14/01/2020 16:41

Oh I see. So as I currently have this on, all photos and videos in my …Oh I see. So as I currently have this on, all photos and videos in my library aren't actually stored on my device, they're stored in the cloud? I just went to one of my most recent photos, and there weren't really any signs of downloading the photo when clicked on, though if I go to delete it, it says "This photo will be delted from iCloud Photos on all your devices.".

It’s Apple so not quite as easy as that. iOS manages what photos are stored in full on your device or just on iCloud automatically - deleting & uploading when it thinks necessary. You can delete all local stored photos if you want by turning off iCloud Photos in settings & then “remove from iPad” option. You then turn iCloud photos back on & it will just download low res versions from iCloud until you view them. However dependant on you broadband & number of photos this can take a while.
tom.dalkins14/01/2020 16:36

Yeah that's what I currently have. I'm more concerned about how you …Yeah that's what I currently have. I'm more concerned about how you actually access your media if you delete it from the device storage and just have it stored in iCloud.

i use to have a lacie nas drive attached at home and the app on my phone, i could then send any photos or videos to my nas drive to store locally. i even set it so i could access over data when i was away, takes 2 min to set up... im sure other nas drives will do the same..

loads of options to do.. even buy a external drive..
Edited by: "Bargainhead" 14th Jan
macworld.co.uk/fea…92/

30 second google search is a lot easier than a forum most the time..
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions