Sulphur/rotten eggs smell in the living room, electrical equipment?

Found 4th Jun 2014
I have one of those bizarre questions for which I know no other place to ask but misc.

For the last god knows how long we have this terrible smell from the corner of our living room.

This corner is the one with the TV cabinet which has the sky box, phone, router, TV, DVD player and Wii.

After pulling it all out and cleaning it there is no obvious source of the smell other than that it is actually coming from one the pieces of electrical equipment.

Any ideas on what it could actually be? We thought it was the TV but it seems to happen intermittently but sometimes is really strong, I have googled it and the only thing that comes up is about faulty servers and rechargeable batteries burning out smelling of sulphur.
Community Updates
AskElectronicsEgg
58 Comments
Banned
Dead mouse in the VCR pal........
Original Poster
RFC

Dead mouse in the VCR pal........

no VCR
Get an eggxpert in...
Check inside the plugs, it's probably a couple of wires touching.
Is your water heater behind the wall by any chance?, if so that is your eggy smell source.
Original Poster
stickec247

hmm - the plugs have been there for years though - its not a burning smell, definitely eggy oO
Do you have any faulty servers or rechargeable batteries?
stickec247

X)
The dog farting?
Original Poster
transit

Is your water heater behind the wall by any chance?, if so that is your … Is your water heater behind the wall by any chance?, if so that is your eggy smell source.

Nope - the corner leads to outside (which we have checked) no obvious source but its *possibly* worse when the TV is on but then that has a fan which blows the air around.
Banned
daturastorm

hmm - the plugs have been there for years though - its not a burning … hmm - the plugs have been there for years though - its not a burning smell, definitely eggy oO

cut out the beans ...............

definately.
Original Poster
fanpages

Do you have any faulty servers or rechargeable batteries?

Let me go check.... nope.
daturastorm

Nope - the corner leads to outside (which we have checked) no obvious … Nope - the corner leads to outside (which we have checked) no obvious source but its *possibly* worse when the TV is on but then that has a fan which blows the air around.

Stop watching Eggheads.
Is there any chance of something under the floor boards? In our old house we had a 'water table' under our sitting room floor. We lived there 8 years without knowing, then in 2009 we had alot of rain and the water table rose. The smell was awful. Like rotten eggs. We lifted the floor boards to find 6 foot of water underneath. oO
Luckily we were council so they sorted it for us. Hope you get it sorted, whatever it is.
Banned
better asking on AVFORUMS.............

looks like you need an eggspert opinion....
hocka

Is there any chance of something under the floor boards? In our old house … Is there any chance of something under the floor boards? In our old house we had a 'water table' under our sitting room floor. We lived there 8 years without knowing, then in 2009 we had alot of rain and the water table rose. The smell was awful. Like rotten eggs. We lifted the floor boards to find 6 foot of water underneath. oOLuckily we were council so they sorted it for us. Hope you get it sorted, whatever it is.

That's an indoor swimming pool in some parts of the country.

fanpages

That's an indoor swimming pool in some parts of the country.

If it wasn't brown & lumpy I might have kept it!
hocka

If it wasn't brown & lumpy I might have kept it!

Racist.
RFC

better asking on AVFORUMS............. looks like you need an eggspert … better asking on AVFORUMS............. looks like you need an eggspert opinion....

perhaps his signal is scrambled..
We had a cupboard in the sitting room that we could access under the floorboards. I dropped a little stone through a gap in the floorboards and heard it 'ploop'. Thats how we knew it was water. I hope you get it sorted quickly xx
That smell is usually down to a failing piece of electrical equipment. This smell can also manifest if you are overloading the socket and the wires can overheat and actually start to melt the cable which causes the smell. I'd have a reputable spark pop round and have a quick look. And how old is the wiring in your house ?
hocka

We had a cupboard in the sitting room that we could access under the … We had a cupboard in the sitting room that we could access under the floorboards..

Why was your sitting room under the floorboards?

Did you live with Osama bin Laden?
Most likely electrical. I'm thinking capacitors. Something is about to fail, a power supply on the way out, there are no upsides.

All of the electronic sensors in the world cannot tell you the pre-failure status of components that are aging/degrading. Some components (capacitors, transformers, battery cells) do age, and their materials do break down over time.

This can be detected by visual inspection (capacitors bulging, oily leakage around transformers, smelly sulfur from blown vent caps on batteries) or audible inspection (fans starting to whine) but may still be fully functional until their actual performance starts to fall out of nominal operating range.

The inspection simply cannot be understated in terms of the value in detecting pre-failure conditions. For whatever that’s worth.
Original Poster
Dominatez

That smell is usually down to a failing piece of electrical equipment. … That smell is usually down to a failing piece of electrical equipment. This smell can also manifest if you are overloading the socket and the wires can overheat and actually start to melt the cable which causes the smell. I'd have a reputable spark pop round and have a quick look. And how old is the wiring in your house ?

Thank you, there are 2 extension leads behind the TV and our wiring is very old, we have cover on it though, I will have a look at removing the leads and get them round if it doesn't go.
Dominatez

That smell is usually down to a failing piece of electrical equipment. … That smell is usually down to a failing piece of electrical equipment. This smell can also manifest if you are overloading the socket and the wires can overheat and actually start to melt the cable which causes the smell. I'd have a reputable spark pop round and have a quick look. And how old is the wiring in your house ?

...or if you have a dog (read: husband), it could be him letting rip with an S.B.D.
fanpages

Why was your sitting room under the floorboards?Did you live with Osama … Why was your sitting room under the floorboards?Did you live with Osama bin Laden?

I meant it was easier to access the floorboards in the cupboard as we had laminate flooring in the living room but not in the cupboard at that time.
Original Poster
veedubjai

Most likely electrical. I'm thinking capacitors. Something is about to … Most likely electrical. I'm thinking capacitors. Something is about to fail, a power supply on the way out, there are no upsides.All of the electronic sensors in the world cannot tell you the pre-failure status of components that are aging/degrading. Some components (capacitors, transformers, battery cells) do age, and their materials do break down over time. This can be detected by visual inspection (capacitors bulging, oily leakage around transformers, smelly sulfur from blown vent caps on batteries) or audible inspection (fans starting to whine) but may still be fully functional until their actual performance starts to fall out of nominal operating range.The inspection simply cannot be understated in terms of the value in detecting pre-failure conditions. For whatever that’s worth.

Thank you, thats confirmed it might be the equipment then, its driving me mad. I will have to check each one but if theres nothing visual I am not sure. The TV is the oldest.
hocka

I meant it was easier to access the floorboards in the cupboard as we had … I meant it was easier to access the floorboards in the cupboard as we had laminate flooring in the living room but not in the cupboard at that time.

...and now you've got laminate flooring in your cupb...?

Never mind.
Have you got smoke alarms fitted?
Original Poster
airfix

yes, 2, and a carbon monoxide alarm.
Edited by: "stormydat" 4th Jun 2014
fanpages

...and now you've got laminate flooring in your cupb...?Never mind.

Naa, we moved instead! X)
Maybe OP lives in my old house
daturastorm

Thank you, thats confirmed it might be the equipment then, its driving me … Thank you, thats confirmed it might be the equipment then, its driving me mad. I will have to check each one but if theres nothing visual I am not sure. The TV is the oldest.

How often does the smell occur?

Perhaps you could unplug each of the items on the cabinet one at a time over a course of a few days & isolate which item it is.

Alternatively, could you place the whole TV cabinet somewhere else in the room, then see if the smell moves with the cabinet or indicates if there is a body under the floor, or whatever.
airfix

Do they use rechargeable batteries?
fanpages

Do they use rechargeable batteries?

No but I know that eggs from battery chickens smell more of sulphur
DarkEnergy2012

my money is on a dormant volcano under your house that is about to spring … my money is on a dormant volcano under your house that is about to spring into life like Mount Doom

That's a silly place to leave your money.
Original Poster
fanpages

How often does the smell occur?Perhaps you could unplug each of the items … How often does the smell occur?Perhaps you could unplug each of the items on the cabinet one at a time over a course of a few days & isolate which item it is.Alternatively, could you place the whole TV cabinet somewhere else in the room, then see if the smell moves with the cabinet or indicates if there is a body under the floor, or whatever.

I like your thinking I did actually suggest this when I phoned hubby from work (and reminded him to sniff the radiator) but I don't think hes as intent on finding a solution as I am. *I* will check each piece of equipment though, if you want a job doing.......
Could a mouse/rat have died in the wall? I know it sounds gross but it happened to us; we had an infestation and put poison out in the loft which is meant to encourage them to go outside to find water and then they die out there but obviously this one didn't make it that far and died in the wall...lovely job for my husband cutting open the wall to retrieve it!
daturastorm

I like your thinking I did actually suggest this when I phoned hubby … I like your thinking I did actually suggest this when I phoned hubby from work (and reminded him to sniff the radiator) but I don't think hes as intent on finding a solution as I am. *I* will check each piece of equipment though, if you want a job doing.......

Either he's not into sniffing radiators, or perhaps he wants a new TV for some upcoming sporting event... or even a new video games system, & the piece of equipment is going to get blamed.

That, or he knows there is a body under the floor.

clare1987is

Could a mouse/rat have died in the wall? I know it sounds gross but it … Could a mouse/rat have died in the wall? I know it sounds gross but it happened to us; we had an infestation and put poison out in the loft which is meant to encourage them to go outside to find water and then they die out there but obviously this one didn't make it that far and died in the wall...lovely job for my husband cutting open the wall to retrieve it!

Is your husband a (rocket) scientist?

Does he like cats?
Capacitors are the only thing I can think off but unless your nose is off that should smell kind of acrid like solder if they are leaking.

Take each piece of equipment into the kitchen or somewhere, plug it in the wall and leave it turned on a few hours to see if it starts stinking or something, best to press a few buttons etc to make sure its doing something and not going into standby.

if you find one stinks take the case off after unplugging it and leaving it awhile obviously and look at the little tin can things on the board to see if they are leaking, or rising up on their wire legs off the board. Unless its the tv and its an old tube one, don't open that.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions