Found 9th Jun 2009
I'm off to Florida next week (Eeee!) and I need to know about suntan lotion etc.
I've found out what the SPF means (ie, if your skin would redden after 20 mins, with an SPF 10 it would take 10 times longer, ie 200 mins before you start to redden).
But I'd really like to know if there is anything that doesn't stop you tanning but lends some protection.
I'm looking at the Avon offers avonshop.co.uk/bea…tml and have a free delivery over £20 code so if anyone could have a quick butchers?
I'm quite dark naturally and don't usually burn much but the temp is likely to be around 90 most days.
Any help appreciated.

24 Comments

http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/content/ebiz/wilkinsonplus/invt/0244816/0244816_m.jpg

Original Poster

MinstrelMan;5444722

Quite good value that as well compared to some of the others.

deek72;5444731

Quite good value that as well compared to some of the others.

hope thats the vegetable one..

I wouldn't take only SPF 10 to florida lol.

If I was you i'd take SPF 1000.

seriously though if your dark skinned anyway then your not looking for a tan you just need protection so go for a failry high factor that blocks harmfull uva and uvb rays, boots soltan have a vast array.

or just get some complete sun block...... or some lead paint.

Original Poster

MinstrelMan;5444800

seriously though if your dark skinned anyway then your not looking for a … seriously though if your dark skinned anyway then your not looking for a tan you just need protection so go for a failry high factor that blocks harmfull uva and uvb rays, boots soltan have a vast array.or just get some complete sun block...... or some lead paint.

I really meant dark as opposed to ginger, white and freckly (no offence to any of my fellow HUKD'ers who happen to be ginger !) and don't usually burn much so I'd still like to tan somewhat, but with some protection against the worst rays.

INFRACT THE GINGER-IST PLEASE! :lol:

I'd advise you to talk to boots pharmacy if its worrying you this much

Original Poster

MinstrelMan;5444869

INFRACT THE GINGER-IST PLEASE! :lol:I'd advise you to talk to boots … INFRACT THE GINGER-IST PLEASE! :lol:I'd advise you to talk to boots pharmacy if its worrying you this much

Cheers. I'm off to Lloyds now to have a lok at their offer and get some info.

All creams allow a certain amount of tanning whilst offering a level of protection.

You just need to find the correct level SPF.

Only you can find this out and no one on here can answer your question.

If in doubt start off at about 30 and work your way down.

What do you put on when it's hot here? it's the same sun after all.

greg_68;5444938

What do you put on when it's hot here? it's the same sun after all.

A tshirt........ becuase those tossers walking found manchester city centre topless (men) when its 18 degrees need shooting......... twice.

Original Poster

MinstrelMan;5444956

A tshirt........ becuase those tossers walking found manchester city … A tshirt........ becuase those tossers walking found manchester city centre topless (men) when its 18 degrees need shooting......... twice.

INFRACT THE MANCHESTER-IST!

MinstrelMan;5444956

A tshirt........ becuase those tossers walking found manchester city … A tshirt........ becuase those tossers walking found manchester city centre topless (men) when its 18 degrees need shooting......... twice.

lol:lol:

Original Poster

greg_68;5444938

All creams allow a certain amount of tanning whilst offering a level of … All creams allow a certain amount of tanning whilst offering a level of protection.You just need to find the correct level SPF.Only you can find this out and no one on here can answer your question.If in doubt start off at about 30 and work your way down.What do you put on when it's hot here? it's the same sun after all.

Cheers.

corriessvk;5444945

http://www.boots.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10052&productId=37754&callingViewName=&langId=-1&catalogId=11051something like that?

Nice one. That looks to be just what I'm looking for.
Thanks.

deek72;5444973

INFRACT THE MANCHESTER-IST!

I'm from manchester :lol: I'm chav-ist

deek72;5444981

Nice one. That looks to be just what I'm looking for. Thanks.

Your welcome. Ive never used it though so cant say if its anygood. Also different SPF are available.

this thread made for good reading!! thanks for making the wonky woman smile!!!

edit:pls not im not normally wonky ive crushed/slipped a disc which has made my leg numb!! :-(

Make sure the UVA is 5 star rating this is very important , dosent say on the Avon site what theres is.

Had about 20 bottles of the stuff last week but didnt look at the rating before we delivered them

foxymissroxy;5445007

this thread made for good reading!! thanks for making the wonky woman … this thread made for good reading!! thanks for making the wonky woman smile!!! edit:pls not im not normally wonky ive crushed/slipped a disc which has made my leg numb!! :-(

you really are a special kind of stupid

MinstrelMan;5445031

you really are a special kind of stupid

stop all these public displays of affection people will start to talk about us!!!

hrrrrrmmmphhhhhhhhhh

I went to Boots last week to buy sun lotion, and almost cried when I saw the selection. I have serious issues with choice. They tend to manifest in two ways, either in me struggling sometimes for weeks to pick just one, or in me simply giving up, and buying every one on offer. This is partially, I think, why I now own twenty four guitars (possibly more, I find it hard to keep count). I asked a nearby girl to put SPF into idiot terms for me, and she basically explained that higher numbers = better protection but thicker. I went with the highest I could find.

Turns out, 50+ is a nightmare because it's incredibly thick. It leaves your skin looking very obviously paler than it should be. I don't know what the best SPF to go for is, but it's probably worth trying various lotions out before you give in and buy two 400ml bottles of what might as well be bleached tar.

Deek72 you probably will need to get two tubes of the sunlotion instead of just one. There was a show on tv (The One show) featuring a skin doctor who explained that we have all been applying our suntan lotion wrong and it should be slathered on generously rather than a thin film. That avon sun lotion is well cheap £3 wow. I would go with the SPF30 if you are going to be out in strong sunlight all day long. I hope you have a nice holiday.

I was using factor 30 and 25 on myself in Florida when I went at the beginning of May.

I went down to a F15 but at times that did not offer me enough protection from burning - despite reapplying 4 or 5 times a day! So I went up to the higher factors when the sun was fierce!

I got the ambre solaire nice spray (don't rub in, non sticky, non white), factor 25 in Home & Bargain for £3 a few weeks ago. Usually go for most cheap brands, from my experience (50yr old ginger), there ain't much difference. Paid a bit more for this one because feels nicer on but normally Ambre Solaire ridiculously priced.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Items broken from argos - will I get replacement or refund?59
    2. Help: NowTV Movie pass78
    3. heart rate monitor fitness watch44
    4. Charge Back From A Betting Account77

See more discussions