Sunglass hut CAN remove airport tax

Found 8th Nov 2009
Popped into my local sunglass hut today and tried on a pair of Chanel sunglasses, £240!! wasnt going to buy them and probably never will, but the manager of the store told me that as they are the only supplier of sunglasses such as chanel, d&g etc (they supply them to john lewis and all airports etc) that all Sunglasses Hut's CAN remove airport tax of 15%!! he offered me the same pair of glasses for £204! Huge saving! If your thinking of getting some sunglasses from there, ask about the airport tax, i dont think the guy would have offered it to me if i hadnt of said they are abit expensive. Always worth trying!

7 Comments

Good info thanks for sharing - heat from me.

Seriously you will believe anything.
(i) There is no such thing as Airport Tax either in Airports or the High St.He was trying to make you think there was no VAT
(ii) VAT is always chargeable on the High St sales and in most cases in Airports (as duty free in the EU has been abolished).

The salesman simply give you a discount on the hilarious RRP and dressed it as some spurious non existent tax fiddle.

You can bet his input price was probably £40 and he still took you for a ride,

whitbyfish;6818396

Seriously you will believe anything.(i) There is no such thing as Airport … Seriously you will believe anything.(i) There is no such thing as Airport Tax either in Airports or the High St.He was trying to make you think there was no VAT(ii) VAT is always chargeable on the High St sales and in most cases in Airports (as duty free in the EU has been abolished).The salesman simply give you a discount on the hilarious RRP and dressed it as some spurious non existent tax fiddle.You can bet his input price was probably £40 and he still took you for a ride,

Indeed. Buy something from a tax free shop in the airport and you`ll find a statement on thei receipt that duty has been paid. They just offer a discount equivilent to removing VAT. But since duty has been paid, customs aren`t interested in it.

Original Poster

Still better than paying £240. The salesman wouldnt have mentioned it otherwise and anyone who WAS buying would have had to have paid full price as shown on the lable.

If you are a visitor from outside the EU, you can get a 407 form from the retailer and have it stamped by Customs at the airport to get a refund of the VAT. The guy in the shop was telling you porkies about the airport tax.

Original Poster

He was obviously trying to get a sale, but my point is he wouldnt have mentioned the saving if i would have just gone in and said "i want these ones" its the point that people could be shopping in that store gettig charged full whack, just to let people know i was in a shopping centre, not the airport.

Roxorleanne;6819145

He was obviously trying to get a sale, but my point is he wouldnt have … He was obviously trying to get a sale, but my point is he wouldnt have mentioned the saving if i would have just gone in and said "i want these ones" its the point that people could be shopping in that store gettig charged full whack, just to let people know i was in a shopping centre, not the airport.

In other words, people should haggle and not pay the price on the sticker.
Post a comment
@
    Text