supanet

Found 10th Aug 2015
hi everyone, just wondered if anyone has had any dealings with supanet, the broadband provider, basically my elderly parents signed up with them and it got installed 3 weeks ago, they actually thought it was a part of BT so they felt comfortable signing up with such a huge company, they were told that they would get 13mbps speed on their internet, I helped set them up 3 weeks ago and they have constantly had speeds of 1.6mbps-2.2mbps which is far lower than they were told, I have called their tech department at least 11 times and they have tried putting them on different profiles etc and have even sent out a new router to see if that was the issue , nothing has helped and they are still getting 10% the speed they were promised, we have called to cancel after 3 weeks of misery and them not fixing the problem only to be told they will charge over £200 for the cancellation, I said we not paying for a service that they not getting as they expected 13mbps and supanet response was , rather rudely "you can't prove that we told you those speeds".
has anyone else had any problems with supanet and what if I instruct my poor folks to cancel the direct debit and let them cancel the service, it is unusable as they wanted internet for streaming.
trading standards have stated that supanet have breached the terms of contract by not providing sped promised on sign up.
We need help and you guys have not failed me before.
Thank you in advance

Shared Via The HUKD App For Android.

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
15 Comments

Original Poster

I forgot to add... will supanet actually take my parents to court in the end or will they give up before it gets that far, they can't afford to pay for a service they not getting as they now need to get a new Internet provider

who told them they would get those speeds? was it an online signup? are there any emails confirming expected speeds? the problem with cancelling DD is that it can effect their credit rating

Just checking are you confusing mbps with MBps?

A 13mbps(megabit) connection would get you approx. 1.6 MBps (megabyte) download speed.
Edited by: "spiderbifida" 10th Aug 2015

well ive just read some reviews of supanet, and they dont look good, poor speed, increasing prices without informing, 24 MONTH CONTRACT!! and it looks like you can only join them over the phone as well, how did your parents get involved with them?

Original Poster

sparxuk

well ive just read some reviews of supanet, and they dont look good, poor … well ive just read some reviews of supanet, and they dont look good, poor speed, increasing prices without informing, 24 MONTH CONTRACT!! and it looks like you can only join them over the phone as well, how did your parents get involved with them?

unfortunately my dad used his voice search on Google and said "bt internet" and he just clicked on what he thought was bt but was these cowboys ,

Original Poster

spiderbifida

Just checking are you confusing mbps with MBps?A 13mbps(megabit) … Just checking are you confusing mbps with MBps?A 13mbps(megabit) connection would get you approx. 1.6 MBps (megabyte) download speed.

No even the tech guys from supanet have stated several times on different occasions that we should be getting a minimum of 11 mbps and should be around 13 so they admitted the speeds we are getting are extremely low

Original Poster

andyb1979

No even the tech guys from supanet have stated several times on different … No even the tech guys from supanet have stated several times on different occasions that we should be getting a minimum of 11 mbps and should be around 13 so they admitted the speeds we are getting are extremely low

I have sent them at least 15 speed test results through internet speed test. net

so did your dad ring them? has he got any emails from them about the contract? any mention of speed? i would call them again and record the call, ask the tech guys what speed they should expect to get

Original Poster

sparxuk

so did your dad ring them? has he got any emails from them about the … so did your dad ring them? has he got any emails from them about the contract? any mention of speed? i would call them again and record the call, ask the tech guys what speed they should expect to get

No emails no, all we have is the 3 telephone calls where we was told we should get speeds of 11-13 mbps, surely they won't even take is as far as court if we don't pay as they have a terrible reputation and doesn't that get taken into account if we got to court?

the only problem i can see with that is that when it comes to switching to a new provider, supanet may block it as there would be debt still on the account. Although i may be wrong, they might not be allowed to block it? maybe someone else can advise?
Edited by: "sparxuk" 10th Aug 2015

sorry, not related to cancelling but worth remembering. have they had broadband at that address before? if so, what speed did they get. if nothing before, there are several reasons why they aren't getting the speeds advertised. would be worth requesting an engineer visit first to check the line is up to scratch, as changing isp might not sort the problem if it is internal/external wiring related.

Original Poster

weebaldy

sorry, not related to cancelling but worth remembering. have they had … sorry, not related to cancelling but worth remembering. have they had broadband at that address before? if so, what speed did they get. if nothing before, there are several reasons why they aren't getting the speeds advertised. would be worth requesting an engineer visit first to check the line is up to scratch, as changing isp might not sort the problem if it is internal/external wiring related.

No not had it before they lived there for 32 years, supanet are very reluctant to send an engineer

Start by reading this link. Internet speed is not as advertised
It would appear that Supanet are neither on List A or List B of ISP signatories to the 2010 Code of practice.(all about speeds) See this link
But Supanet are part of the Ombudsmen Services which could possibly help. See this link.along with the link given previously to "which".
If you feel that at some stage you should complain to OFCOM then check this from CAB.
Ultimately there appears to be a contract in place here between 2 parties. It appears that Supanet are breaking that contract if you can find something in writing that says catagorically the speeds they should be providing. I'm guessing that you would want a refund of all monies paid because of this breech. Going to the Small Claims court might help but it will cost. See hear.

Edited by: "tardytortoise" 10th Aug 2015

Original Poster

tardytortoise

Start by reading this link. Internet speed is not as advertisedIt would … Start by reading this link. Internet speed is not as advertisedIt would appear that Supanet are neither on List A or List B of ISP signatories to the 2010 Code of practice.(all about speeds) See this linkBut Supanet are part of the Ombudsmen Services which could possibly help. See this link.along with the link given previously to "which".If you feel that at some stage you should complain to OFCOM then check this from CAB.Ultimately there appears to be a contract in place here between 2 parties. It appears that Supanet are breaking that contract if you can find something in writing that says catagorically the speeds they should be providing. I'm guessing that you would want a refund of all monies paid because of this breech. Going to the Small Claims court might help but it will cost. See hear.

hi thanks for all that , it's a massive help, wouldn't be bothered about claiming monies already paid, just want out of the contract or alternatively an Internet speed of around 11 mbps from supanet, it's just unacceptable to be paying £22 a month for 0.67mbps (the last result of a speed test at 9pm tonight)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants