Super Mario Odyssey- Thoughts

Found 29th Oct 2017Edited by:"Mechtup"
I just beat the game (without all the bonus parts that come after escaping the last kingdom), and I have to say it was absolutely amazing. I dread to think of what my hours will clock up to though Definitely a brilliant game with many plot twists (which makes it sound like a story but oh well. It was crazy).

How did everyone else find it? Was it as good as you expected it to be?
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
Graham19791 h, 1 m ago

Considering buying a switch just for this (and Mario Kart)

I just have
32 Comments
Glad to hear its as good as the hype.. Did you play handheld or docked ? I got mine on Fri but have yet to play. I only ever play in handheld mode but I read elsewhere you need to use motion controls on some parts which can't be done in just handheld
malnuman27 m ago

Glad to hear its as good as the hype.. Did you play handheld or docked ? …Glad to hear its as good as the hype.. Did you play handheld or docked ? I got mine on Fri but have yet to play. I only ever play in handheld mode but I read elsewhere you need to use motion controls on some parts which can't be done in just handheld

Handheld and docked, about half and half (though maybe mostly docked). I really struggle to see where motion controls would be needed. For me, they were mostly annoying and would make mario randomly jump when I was trying to get somewhere etc.

I would suggest having a go at handheld and hoping for the best, as I don’t see anywhere you would get stuck (maybe when the cap needs to go further, but that’s only problematic if you want to do things the short way, and even then that was rare)
Thanks for the info, will start playing this tomoz, day off work so will give me summat to do
It does seem to be a great game, however I do have a few issues. The moon's seem to be the same sort of hiding places in each world, and the game seems extremely easy. In my opinion it doesn't come anywhere close to Zelda BOTW, however it has to be named the next best game to have (which in my opinion doesn't take much, excluding the Wii U remakes).
JohnnyRoller9 h, 17 m ago

It does seem to be a great game, however I do have a few issues. The …It does seem to be a great game, however I do have a few issues. The moon's seem to be the same sort of hiding places in each world, and the game seems extremely easy. In my opinion it doesn't come anywhere close to Zelda BOTW, however it has to be named the next best game to have (which in my opinion doesn't take much, excluding the Wii U remakes).

I don't think anyone plays Nintendo games for the difficulty anymore, or perhaps that's just games in general. Single player games (with the exception of a small handful), all seem to be experiences that you could walk through to the end without being in any way an experienced gamer. I don't recall it being like that 20 years ago, but perhaps it's due to the target market changing.
I have to be honest and say I was so hyped for this but spent most of the weekend with it and have to say I prefered super mario 3d world on Wii u which has surprised me. It's a great game but there is just something missing that I can't put my finger on.
Super Mario Odyssey-Thoughts: The advert is terrible
Graham197915 m ago

Mario Kart is great fun, yeah I would buy a switch, it's got other good games, Mario +Rabbids, Fifa, Doom is due, so is Skyrim.. some good fun indie titles to.
Graham19791 h, 1 m ago

I just have
delusion1 h, 58 m ago

I don't think anyone plays Nintendo games for the difficulty anymore, or …I don't think anyone plays Nintendo games for the difficulty anymore, or perhaps that's just games in general. Single player games (with the exception of a small handful), all seem to be experiences that you could walk through to the end without being in any way an experienced gamer. I don't recall it being like that 20 years ago, but perhaps it's due to the target market changing.

It's a shame in my opinion. Back in the NES days, you would have games that were almost impossible to beat. At least with Zelda BOTW it has the option of doing very difficult things.
JohnnyRoller5 m ago

It's a shame in my opinion. Back in the NES days, you would have games …It's a shame in my opinion. Back in the NES days, you would have games that were almost impossible to beat. At least with Zelda BOTW it has the option of doing very difficult things.

That was bacuase you could beat most of them in 30 minutes. That we're beyond the point where a games length needs to be artificially lengthend in that way is nowhere near a bad thing.
Krooner7 m ago

That was bacuase you could beat most of them in 30 minutes. That we're …That was bacuase you could beat most of them in 30 minutes. That we're beyond the point where a games length needs to be artificially lengthend in that way is nowhere near a bad thing.

I'm not sure what games you could complete in 30 minutes, but they're clearly not the games I'm talking about.

You try completing Teenage mutant ninja turtles on the NES, or Final Fantasy or Maniac Mansion.... etc.
Edited by: "JohnnyRoller" 30th Oct 2017
JohnnyRoller15 m ago

I'm not sure what games you could complete in 30 minutes, but they're …I'm not sure what games you could complete in 30 minutes, but they're clearly not the games I'm talking about.You try completing Teenage mutant ninja turtles on the NES, or Final Fantasy or Maniac Mansion.... etc.

I don't mean literally 30 minutes. Turtles is a good example of a game that has it's length artificially boosted, unfairly difficult in places. Final Fantasy too, hitting walls and having to grind to progress. They're simply not balanced.

With regard to challenge in Mario, I've not played it yet, but I'd expect the post game to be where the platforming challenge lies. That's usually the case with them.
Krooner16 m ago

I don't mean literally 30 minutes. Turtles is a good example of a game …I don't mean literally 30 minutes. Turtles is a good example of a game that has it's length artificially boosted, unfairly difficult in places. Final Fantasy too, hitting walls and having to grind to progress. They're simply not balanced. With regard to challenge in Mario, I've not played it yet, but I'd expect the post game to be where the platforming challenge lies. That's usually the case with them.

Yeah apparently after you "finish" the game it opens up to more harder challenges. I avoid games nowdays that are just way to hard, I find it more frustrating than fun,
malnuman33 m ago

Yeah apparently after you "finish" the game it opens up to more harder …Yeah apparently after you "finish" the game it opens up to more harder challenges. I avoid games nowdays that are just way to hard, I find it more frustrating than fun,

Same here. I never got past the first few levels on previous mario games, but with Odyssey it was a pleasant surprise to be able to finish it (excluding the extras).
JohnnyRoller1 h, 53 m ago

I'm not sure what games you could complete in 30 minutes, but they're …I'm not sure what games you could complete in 30 minutes, but they're clearly not the games I'm talking about.You try completing Teenage mutant ninja turtles on the NES, or Final Fantasy or Maniac Mansion.... etc.

Most games back then were at most 30 mins from start to finish if you have mastered it in a speed run scenario..... even less... it just you died 10,000 trying over and over and doing the same 4 levels over and over....

The games weren't deep or complex, just made to be frustrating and to kill you a lot - mosted were based on the arcade formula to steal your 10 pence pieces..

Gaming has eveloved from that, some games are set up to me accessible to the masses.. some aren't, not all Nintendo games are easy. Far from it.
deleted1431257
This will deservedly take all the Game of the Year awards from Stink of the Wild. Go Mario Go, reclaim your throne
Bought. Played for half an hour. The Mrs asked for a go. Haven't had the Switch back all weekend.

It's that good
Got mine Friday played it handheld the whole way through (don't own the dock).

Anyways, it's a great game. But felt it was pretty rinse and repeat through the middle of the game.

I got about 240 moon pieces out of 800, completed the story and sold my game out a few hours ago (I don't hold on to games after the credits ).

The game it's self is really cool but felt the moon pieces were over whelming. I would find pieces so easily that it didn't feel like they shouldn't been in that location.

Controls are great. Game graphics look amazing. Mario in HD is a sweet look.
kos1c8 m ago

Got mine Friday played it handheld the whole way through (don't own the …Got mine Friday played it handheld the whole way through (don't own the dock). Anyways, it's a great game. But felt it was pretty rinse and repeat through the middle of the game. I got about 240 moon pieces out of 800, completed the story and sold my game out a few hours ago (I don't hold on to games after the credits ). The game it's self is really cool but felt the moon pieces were over whelming. I would find pieces so easily that it didn't feel like they shouldn't been in that location. Controls are great. Game graphics look amazing. Mario in HD is a sweet look.

Glad you had no troubles in handheld, that s all I ever play in.. I read elsewhere you had to use motion controls to complete some levels. So I am now looking forward to completing the main story just in handheld.
was going to grab a switch to play it, ended up watching a playthrough on Youtube instead, looked alright but everywhere seemed barren, especially the desert level, sheesh.
malnuman26 m ago

Glad you had no troubles in handheld, that s all I ever play in.. I read …Glad you had no troubles in handheld, that s all I ever play in.. I read elsewhere you had to use motion controls to complete some levels. So I am now looking forward to completing the main story just in handheld.

I disabled motion controls. Kept getting a pop up "do this with the joy cons to to this ability."
Most abilities have physical controls to perform. But I don't recall any levels requiring the motion controls to get through. Was tablet mode 99% off the time for me. With 1% testing out motion controls.

Do keep in mind I didn't unlock the two special levels (possibly a 3rd).
kos1c1 h, 40 m ago

Got mine Friday played it handheld the whole way through (don't own the …Got mine Friday played it handheld the whole way through (don't own the dock). Anyways, it's a great game. But felt it was pretty rinse and repeat through the middle of the game. I got about 240 moon pieces out of 800, completed the story and sold my game out a few hours ago (I don't hold on to games after the credits ). The game it's self is really cool but felt the moon pieces were over whelming. I would find pieces so easily that it didn't feel like they shouldn't been in that location. Controls are great. Game graphics look amazing. Mario in HD is a sweet look.

I have to agree. I felt it was really repetitive in points, especially when you’re heading for bowsers castle (if you’re like me and thought it was the last one after not doing any prior research). The interruption in between was annoying and pointless. And the end too! I was very frustrated when it came to that bit as it seemed to go on forever.

The fact it introduced stuff like *SPOILERS* real people and high detail dinosaurs/dragons etc was amazing but felt like it was losing its roots. Gone are the days where Mario was just 2D in a small set area.

Still thoroughly enjoyed it, I just felt it was too quick to complete (in comparison to a game low breath of the wild, which I understand is completely different but the best comparison I can make).

I found that after I did the main storyline, I had more time to enjoy the game than worry about chasing after enemies etc.
deeky8 h, 32 m ago

I just have

Oi, It's not for you. (You know what I mean. )
SteveFantasy30th Oct 2017

Oi, It's not for you. (You know what I mean. )

Edited by: "deeky" 30th Oct 2017
How many buttons on these controllers? Last time I checked I only had ten fingers (ok, 8 and 2 thumbs)
And does the switch and controllers charge when switched off, like a tablet would?
Edited by: "deeky" 30th Oct 2017
Yeah I know what you mean bout modern games and button configurations, and each game uses diff ones, anyhow yeah you can charge it when it's off, either docked or just with the cable
Dolphinzz2 h, 6 m ago

I have to agree. I felt it was really repetitive in points, especially …I have to agree. I felt it was really repetitive in points, especially when you’re heading for bowsers castle (if you’re like me and thought it was the last one after not doing any prior research). The interruption in between was annoying and pointless. And the end too! I was very frustrated when it came to that bit as it seemed to go on forever.The fact it introduced stuff like *SPOILERS* real people and high detail dinosaurs/dragons etc was amazing but felt like it was losing its roots. Gone are the days where Mario was just 2D in a small set area.Still thoroughly enjoyed it, I just felt it was too quick to complete (in comparison to a game low breath of the wild, which I understand is completely different but the best comparison I can make).I found that after I did the main storyline, I had more time to enjoy the game than worry about chasing after enemies etc.

My only issue was that the moon pieces were so common they didn't really feel like they were the main thing to gather. Even though they were your goal.

I stayed in each level a good hour or two clearing everything out walking away with 30+ moon pieces or so on most levels.

The outfits were cool to use but felt like they added nothing to the game.

It's a well recommended title but it felt short and felt like it missed any sort of challenge.
deeky31 m ago

How many buttons on these controllers? Last time I checked I only had ten …How many buttons on these controllers? Last time I checked I only had ten fingers (ok, 8 and 2 thumbs) And does the switch and controllers charge when switched off, like a tablet would?

32338826-DYUxf.jpgThere you go, didn't need 8 fingers and 2 thumbs back then eh
I'm not that impressed, to be honest. Searching for moons seems like a chore and progressing through the game doesn't seem particularly exciting. So far, I would rather be playing Galaxy or 3D World. I prefer my Mario games to be more linear, I think.
I have to say that the game is growing on me, although I don't know if I'll ever bother to try to get all the moons (or even the majority of them).
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants