Superdrug wants to record video interview through webcam!

Found 26th Aug 2015
Hi

Superdrug want to video interview me for a job and it gets recorded through webcam. No ones on the other end the questions are pre-set so basically they will record me answering them and have that on video a bit like an audition video.

Apparently this video will become their 'property'. This is really putting me off sounds really creepy and weird. I applied through their website so it really is them wanting this done. The cynical side of me thinks this is to see if people's look and body shape fits in with their brand image and this will be a deciding factor in the hiring process. Not that I am worried about how I will look!

What do you think? Would it be off putting to you or am I just being old fashioned?
Community Updates
34 Comments
Sounds impersonal and surprised this is an effective way for them to hire.

Whether or not they make their decision based on the way a person looks or not is probably unaffected by the interview method, video or in person.
Make sure it is not a prank and they ask you to stick tampons up your nose etc!
Probably better then B&Qs stupid automated phone interviews, "which statement do you most agree with, press 1 for I like to work in a team, press 2 for I prefer to work alone, *take phone away from head to see that you are pressing the right button, hear the next question start because it gives you 2 seconds to make your choice*.

Actually I went for a interview at superdrugs once, my interview consisted of standing round the drinks fridge while the manager who was filling the drinks fridge hinted he wanted a man for the job, hint hint there will be heavy lifting and you look very small, hint hint we get difficult and violent customers sometimes hint hint.
Superdrug has some pretty munting employees so I can't see that being a barrier to employment (years ago when I worked in the middle east it was pretty normal to have to attach a photo to a CV) but it's probably a way to weed out some of the more 'uncommitted' applicants, i.e. those that have to have to apply to keep benefits rather than those that just want a job.
Error440

Actually I went for a interview at superdrugs once...

It probably goes a long way if you know the name of the company you want to work for...
Ah I've done one of these before. Can't see them judging you any more than they would if you had gone for a face to face interview (which you probably will still do actually after this).

Basically, you watch a video then answer a set of pre-recorded questions. Just the normal stuff. Personally I found it a lot harder than the face to face interviews as it's weird having no one react to your answers and nod and there's no body language reading and all that. It's essentially you talking to yourself and being recorded while doing it.

Anyways, I'd take it and good luck
I've done them before but they are awkward and you feel more pressurised into giving an answer straight away. Very awkward to complete in my opinion.
Error440

Probably better then B&Qs stupid automated phone interviews, "which … Probably better then B&Qs stupid automated phone interviews, "which statement do you most agree with, press 1 for I like to work in a team, press 2 for I prefer to work alone, *take phone away from head to see that you are pressing the right button, hear the next question start because it gives you 2 seconds to make your choice*.Actually I went for a interview at superdrugs once, my interview consisted of standing round the drinks fridge while the manager who was filling the drinks fridge hinted he wanted a man for the job, hint hint there will be heavy lifting and you look very small, hint hint we get difficult and violent customers sometimes hint hint.

I wouldn't have given you the job purely on the basis you called it "superdrugs". I bet you say "Tescos" and "Asdas" as well...
magnetic_fields

I wouldn't have given you the job purely on the basis you called it … I wouldn't have given you the job purely on the basis you called it "superdrugs". I bet you say "Tescos" and "Asdas" as well...

So what if I say I am going to asdas or I am going to the tescos, seems to me like you have a problem with the lower classes, thats how us commoners talk in London.

Oh I am so sorry for saying I went to superdrugs on a stupid forum, get over yourselves, for your information I never even mentioned the name of the store in the interview anyway why would I when I am standing in the shop.

my god some people on here, keep your pettiness to the cesspit reddit.
Error440

So what if I say I am going to asdas or I am going to the tescos, seems … So what if I say I am going to asdas or I am going to the tescos, seems to me like you have a problem with the lower classes, thats how us commoners talk in London. Oh I am so sorry for saying I went to superdrugs on a stupid forum, get over yourselves, for your information I never even mentioned the name of the store in the interview anyway why would I when I am standing in the shop.my god some people on here, keep your pettiness to the cesspit reddit.

"Can you enter your PIN number"? X)
magnetic_fields

"Can you enter your PIN number"? X)

What the hell are you on about now?
Error440

What the hell are you on about now?

The implication was that if you're the type of person to say "Tescos" (and you're right, it DOES sound common), you'll also be the sort of person to say "PIN number". Shudder.
magnetic_fields

The implication was that if you're the type of person to say "Tescos" … The implication was that if you're the type of person to say "Tescos" (and you're right, it DOES sound common), you'll also be the sort of person to say "PIN number". Shudder.

Oh so I was right about you, you are one to sneer at the lower classes or those from other areas to yourself who dont talk how you do, thus do not talk properly so are inferior. how pathetically petty of you.
Error440

Oh so I was right about you, you are one to sneer at the lower classes or … Oh so I was right about you, you are one to sneer at the lower classes or those from other areas to yourself who dont talk how you do, thus do not talk properly so are inferior. how pathetically petty of you.

Ignore him, he was like this the last time he was here. You'd think he'd have the common sense to be more subtle upon his return. (_;)
Aiden1512

Ignore him, he was like this the last time he was here. You'd think he'd … Ignore him, he was like this the last time he was here. You'd think he'd have the common sense to be more subtle upon his return. (_;)

You've made this little dig a few times now. I'm sure that we'd all be interested to hear who you think I am? I presume that it's beyond your capability to understand that, in actual fact, new members can join the site who haven't been here before?
He can go troll reddit he'd fit right in, stop getting this thread off topic.

Good luck to the OP
magnetic_fields

You've made this little dig a few times now. I'm sure that we'd all be … You've made this little dig a few times now. I'm sure that we'd all be interested to hear who you think I am? I presume that it's beyond your capability to understand that, in actual fact, new members can join the site who haven't been here before?

Have I? I don't think I've ever had the pleasure of "chatting" to you on here before.

(Since the magnetic fields identity I mean.)
Edited by: "A1512" 26th Aug 2015
magnetic_fields

You've made this little dig a few times now. I'm sure that we'd all be … You've made this little dig a few times now. I'm sure that we'd all be interested to hear who you think I am? I presume that it's beyond your capability to understand that, in actual fact, new members can join the site who haven't been here before?

My feeling is that you have been here before.

Probably half a dozen times before!
Error440

He can go troll reddit he'd fit right in, stop getting this thread off … He can go troll reddit he'd fit right in, stop getting this thread off topic.Good luck to the OP

Was someone nasty to you on reddit? Did a bigger boy comment on your appalling grammar or spelling on there too? Awww diddums.

Aiden1512

Have I? I don't think I've ever had the pleasure of "chatting" to you on … Have I? I don't think I've ever had the pleasure of "chatting" to you on here before. (Since the magnetic fields identity I mean.)

My apologies. You did comment on one of my other threads but did not, on that occasion, make any accusation regarding my member status.
However, you claim to "know" who I "am", again it seems impossible for you to comprehend that new users join this site. So, again, please tell us all what your accusation is.
Mark2111

My feeling is that you have been here before. Probably half a dozen … My feeling is that you have been here before. Probably half a dozen times before!

No no no.....it's beyond our capability to understand to understand that new members can join the site X)
magnetic_fields

Was someone nasty to you on reddit? Did a bigger boy comment on your … Was someone nasty to you on reddit? Did a bigger boy comment on your appalling grammar or spelling on there too? Awww diddums.My apologies. You did comment on one of my other threads but did not, on that occasion, make any accusation regarding my member status. However, you claim to "know" who I "am", again it seems impossible for you to comprehend that new users join this site. So, again, please tell us all what your accusation is.

I thought so, and apology accepted.

My accusation is that you've been here before, I thought that was obvious? But anyway, I'm sure you'll take care of letting people know exactly who your are (were?) soon enough.

Have a nice day
Aiden1512

No no no.....it's beyond our capability to understand to understand that … No no no.....it's beyond our capability to understand to understand that new members can join the site X)

I've asked you repeatedly to tell us all who you think I really am since you seem convinced that it's impossible for someone to be new here. If you're not man enough to follow through with your accusations then you shouldn't post them in the first place.

Edited by: "magnetic_fields" 26th Aug 2015
magnetic_fields

Was someone nasty to you on reddit? Did a bigger boy comment on your … Was someone nasty to you on reddit? Did a bigger boy comment on your appalling grammar or spelling on there too? Awww diddums.My apologies. You did comment on one of my other threads but did not, on that occasion, make any accusation regarding my member status. However, you claim to "know" who I "am", again it seems impossible for you to comprehend that new users join this site. So, again, please tell us all what your accusation is.

The evidence-
No deals posted.
Confident and know your way around misc.
Unpleasant manner.
Unpopular views.
Stroppy.
Making a song and dance about not being a multi!

magnetic_fields

I've asked you repeatedly to tell us all who you think I really am since … I've asked you repeatedly to tell us all who you think I really am since you seem convinced that it's impossible for someone to be new here. If you're not man enough to follow through with your accusations then you shouldn't post them in the first place.

No I'm not man enough

Mostly due to the fact that I lack the male genetalia

What would be the point in telling you who I think you are?
If (as you claim to be) you are new, then you won't know the past member in question so it's irrelevant.
Superdrug wants to record video interview through webcam!

I've had interviews via Skype or telephone and its hard to read people, this is worse as you are just answering questions.

Best you can do is dress for the interview, film it somewhere quiet against a plain background and if you mess up an answer at least you can re-record it!

Good Luck!
I've seen similar things on the internet. The interviewee usually ends up naked and doing things to the interviewer that I can't mention here.
Error440

Actually I went for a interview at superdrugs once, my interview … Actually I went for a interview at superdrugs once, my interview consisted of standing round the drinks fridge while the manager who was filling the drinks fridge hinted he wanted a man for the job, hint hint there will be heavy lifting and you look very small, hint hint we get difficult and violent customers sometimes hint hint.

You are destined for places far beyond SuperdrugS, you should aim much, much higher

iLevitate
Error440

while the manager who was filling the drinks fridge hinted he wanted a … while the manager who was filling the drinks fridge hinted he wanted a man for the job, hint hint there will be heavy lifting and you look very small, hint hint we get difficult and violent customers sometimes hint hint.

Obviously you got the job then?
Mark2111

The evidence- No deals posted. Confident and know your way around … The evidence- No deals posted. Confident and know your way around misc.Unpleasant manner.Unpopular views.Stroppy.Making a song and dance about not being a multi!

Yeahhhhh
Error440

So what if I say I am going to asdas or I am going to the tescos, seems … So what if I say I am going to asdas or I am going to the tescos, seems to me like you have a problem with the lower classes, thats how us commoners talk in London. Oh I am so sorry for saying I went to superdrugs on a stupid forum, get over yourselves, for your information I never even mentioned the name of the store in the interview anyway why would I when I am standing in the shop.my god some people on here, keep your pettiness to the cesspit reddit.

Is it not Tesco's? ASDA's? For example if I use it in a sentence, 'I am going to Error's for my dinner'.

Although hopefully not.

They need to see you to find out if you have that super drug feeling.

http://i.imgur.com/KXSu0k1.jpg
what a crap thread

also yes, obvious multi is obvious
It would be my worst nightmare simply because the moment the video starts I can guarantee the following would happen:
My normally well behaved puppy will start chasing flies/barking/pull furniture over, my teenage sons will have a door slamming strop, the parrot will start shouting 'be quiet!' (I kid you not) and the doorbell will ring X)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions