Superfast 5G mobile phone frequency auction results are in!

Found 5th Apr
bbc.co.uk/new…418

Now all they need to sort out, is how they are going to get the actual masts fed with the 100+gb fibre back hauls to use 5G!!!

Shame some of these ridiculous amounts, from the UK's mobile phone owners holding companies of foreign investment cash coffers, are not spent, on actually providing the UK with a 3G service!

Let alone the last auction, promised 4G service, all over the UK in hard to reach places, before they think about stuffing 1GB down your mobile signal on 5G!
Community Updates
Misc
15 Comments
They haven't even sorted out 4G yet.
4g is fine in most areas. When they did 3g they didn't have to sign up for minimum coverage areas so most providers didn't bother with investing outside towns.
kester767 m ago

4g is fine in most areas.

It's not so fine if you live in one of the many areas that can't get 4g
As if contacts were not high enough due to cost of handsets here's another way to bump up your monthly bill.

Suppose here come 48month contracts at £50pm.
I expect the 5g 'promise' in practice will work exactly like 3g since we don't really appear to see much improvement with each iteration
Cunny8 m ago

As if contacts were not high enough due to cost of handsets here's another …As if contacts were not high enough due to cost of handsets here's another way to bump up your monthly bill.Suppose here come 48month contracts at £50pm.

Sim only deals are very fairly priced.
Cunny9 m ago

As if contacts were not high enough due to cost of handsets here's another …As if contacts were not high enough due to cost of handsets here's another way to bump up your monthly bill.Suppose here come 48month contracts at £50pm.

Spot on cunny, that is however a very realistic and yet, scary thought of the future of mobile communications in the UK!
MarzBarz22 m ago

Sim only deals are very fairly priced.

At the moment they are. I've gone sim only due to handset prices and length of good phone contracts.

How much data do we actually need to be streaming? Not like we're downloading 4k titles at 70gb in size onto a mobile device.
Three had the best solution for me when their tower gave up and was not repaired or replaced, so I was unable to make or receive calls.
Their solution was 2000 extra free minutes and cheaper line rental etc.
Could not undersatnd why I declined.
21pm unlimited everything as a new customer so not bad. Hopefully will drop down in a year or 2
I don't understand why they cant just focus more on improving existing 4G infrastructure. Its not that old and its more than capable of delivering the required bandwidth/speed for mobile devices. In recent years though I've noticed on EE a steady decrease in call quality in my area, rather like being out in the sticks with 1 bar of signal despite having five bars and the phone switching between various modes/bands (4G to 3G to H+) during calls.
freakstyler1 h, 16 m ago

I don't understand why they cant just focus more on improving existing 4G …I don't understand why they cant just focus more on improving existing 4G infrastructure. Its not that old and its more than capable of delivering the required bandwidth/speed for mobile devices. In recent years though I've noticed on EE a steady decrease in call quality in my area, rather like being out in the sticks with 1 bar of signal despite having five bars and the phone switching between various modes/bands (4G to 3G to H+) during calls.

Because morons which seem to be a massive percentage of most country's are so easily manipulated I'n spending hard earn cash in half baited services and catchy wording
cis_groupie5 h, 35 m ago

It's not so fine if you live in one of the many areas that can't get 4g

Well blame your neighbours for not wanting a mast. I get 26mbit in my house on two bars. Get a lot higher outdoors.
kester761 h, 19 m ago

Well blame your neighbours for not wanting a mast. I get 26mbit in my …Well blame your neighbours for not wanting a mast. I get 26mbit in my house on two bars. Get a lot higher outdoors.

We have a mast. But the phone companies won't give us 4g - "it's not cost effective".
5g??? I can’t make calls unless I stand in the conservatory...
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants