Expired

Superhub to USB external hard drive for networking

Found 14th Dec 2012
Anyone no how to connect a external USB harddrive to a virgin media superhub?
Done some searching but not much found.
Community Updates
17 Comments
An ethernet to usb adapter maybe?
does the VM SH have a USB port ? what are you trying to do ? connect USB Disk to the router and share it across the network
They don't have USB ports to my knowedge. You would need a network hard drive to do this.
My Virgin superhub does not have a USB port so you cant do it direct.

So you can only plug an ethernet cable in, which means you need a NAS drive.

Some NAS drives do have a USB port so you can plug an external hard drive into the back of your NAS.
Shengis

An ethernet to usb adapter maybe?

Like this Your text here?
Got a feeling that it wont work, why i hear you ask.
Well because that would be too cheap and easy (_;)
zappp64

does the VM SH have a USB port ? what are you trying to do ? connect USB … does the VM SH have a USB port ? what are you trying to do ? connect USB Disk to the router and share it across the network

... Nope
diesel_508

Like this Your text here?Got a feeling that it wont work, why i hear you … Like this Your text here?Got a feeling that it wont work, why i hear you ask.Well because that would be too cheap and easy (_;)

Doubt it. I searched a few years ago and don't own one. That leads me to the conclusion that..

A: Such a device doesn't actually exist (NAS says otherwise)
B: It does exist but seeing the price I said **** that!!
you can buy routers with usb like Cisco E3000 and stick either Tomato or ddwrt on it and then you can plug in an usb disk and make it act like a NAS on your network
As the Superhub only has 4 ethernet ports and no USB access, you've got two options:
1) Connect the USB device to a networked PC and run a USB-over-LAN program on that PC.
2) Put an ethernet USB hub (like this one: trustedreviews.com/Bel…iew) between your router and the USB device.

Option 1 involves putting all the PCs needing to access the USB device in the same homegroup, and extra hassle with the USB-over-LAN application. Option 2 seems much simpler, but means you have to buy an extra bit of kit (Google "ethernet usb hub" and you'lll find a few different hubs which all do the same job).

I haven't used one of these hubs myself, but have used a USB-over-LAN prog and found it more hassle than it was worth. Hope that helps.
I have that exact one shown in the picture and it is ok for me printer but for the hdd it just locks up soon after any read/write has started
If it's the same model superhub as I've just received, it does indeed have a USB port - right above the yellow ethernet sockets there is a black sticker (not very noticeable, but it's there). Peel this off, and guess what you find - a USB port. I'm trying to figure out a way to access this, and will report back. Simply plugging a USB stick in there isn't working right now.
tmj2007

If it's the same model superhub as I've just received, it does indeed … If it's the same model superhub as I've just received, it does indeed have a USB port - right above the yellow ethernet sockets there is a black sticker (not very noticeable, but it's there). Peel this off, and guess what you find - a USB port. I'm trying to figure out a way to access this, and will report back. Simply plugging a USB stick in there isn't working right now.

Have you tried connecting it to your computer?
tmj2007

If it's the same model superhub as I've just received, it does indeed … If it's the same model superhub as I've just received, it does indeed have a USB port - right above the yellow ethernet sockets there is a black sticker (not very noticeable, but it's there). Peel this off, and guess what you find - a USB port. I'm trying to figure out a way to access this, and will report back. Simply plugging a USB stick in there isn't working right now.

i have an old bthomehub which is pretty similar, the trick is starting/powering up the router with the stick installed.
you might want to try a mixture of fat32 and ntfs formatted disks
cableforum.co.uk/art…b-2
http://i40.tinypic.com/2z50iu8.png thats one nasty looking hub!

There is an added bonus for those fed up with finding sticky tape to cover those glowing LEDs, 3 adjustable brightness settings. lol

Edited by: "timtom13" 23rd Jun 2013
That's the one - the USB port was covered by a sticker. I'll try what MaddogB suggests and report back.
and our survey says...
Funder

and our survey says...

"We'll Never Know"?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants