Supermarket Alternatives to Mainstream Alcohol Brands

Found 9th Dec 2012
There may already be a thread that addresses this issue.
Apologies if its been covered elsewhere but as Christmas approaches so does the need to stock up on the festive falling over juice.

A lot of the stuff you buy is for guests that will have a few glasses
then it'll be stuck at the back of the cupboard and never see the light of day again so whats the point in paying top dollar.

After a tip-off on a thread on here a few weeks back i bought 2 items from
ALDI which were very respectable alternatives at a fraction of the price.

If we can suggest alterntives i'll update the 1st post to keep all those
suggestions in 1 easy to negotiate post

47 Comments

Original Poster

Original--------------Alternative----------Price--------Location

Jack Daniels------------Clarkes Bourbon----£11.49------ALDI
Baileys Original--------BallyCastle------------£5.99-------ALDI

http://petervanham.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/stella.jpg

AND

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-63YNgjmxHOI/Tgz4x3OpyEI/AAAAAAAAACo/a6Im0anXXoI/s1600/Tesco%2BValue%2BLager.jpg

fattyuk

not sure as all the big brands are always on offer round Xmas … not sure as all the big brands are always on offer round Xmas anyway?could try tesco value lager? that's only 84p for 4 cans?

Ok if you want water with 2% alcohol.

TBF its not that bad, we use it for making shandys

With the new minimum prices coming in anyway this will be pointless as it will bring the supermarket brands prices to about the current prices for branded alcohols.

harlzter

Ok if you want water with 2% alcohol.TBF its not that bad, we use it for … Ok if you want water with 2% alcohol.TBF its not that bad, we use it for making shandys

Not that bad!???

It's RANCID lol

harlzter

With the new minimum prices coming in anyway this will be pointless as it … With the new minimum prices coming in anyway this will be pointless as it will bring the supermarket brands prices to about the current prices for branded alcohols.

it's this happening before Xmas oO

My post was in jest

fattyuk

Not that bad!???It's RANCID lol

Like I said in shandys it makes no difference.

Toasthduk

My post was in jest

Lidl's alternative to Amaretto is v good according to the wife. Their take on JD is also very nice, and just over £10.

harlzter

Like I said in shandys it makes no difference.

Please don't say you use the tesco value lemonade in your shandys aswell

Tesco and asda both do alternatives to Jagermeister, which isn't too bad.

Tesco and Sainsbury alcoholic ginger beer is MUCH nicer than Crappies.

moob

Lidl's alternative to Amaretto is v good according to the wife. Their … Lidl's alternative to Amaretto is v good according to the wife. Their take on JD is also very nice, and just over £10.

Amaretto is a type of drink like vodka or brandy,

did you mean lidls alternative to Disoranno?

Take a bottle of white spirit, down in as fast as you can and anything else afterwards will taste lovely.

fattyuk

it's this happening before Xmas oO

Not this Christmas thankfully but by next it will be.

The only alcohol we drink really is spirits and then only Vodka which must be russian standard (if anyone can find a supermarket one as good as this then I will be amazed)

I bought 6 cans of stella last xmas eve because they was 2 x 4 packs with a can missing each and reduced to 88p for 3 cans and found one was just past its date a few weeks ago, so not big beer drinkers here lol

fattyuk

Please don't say you use the tesco value lemonade in your shandys aswell … Please don't say you use the tesco value lemonade in your shandys aswell

Hell no, ben shaws cloudy all the way.

Bottles of spirits will last years anyway, its hardly going to go to waste.

If you only drink indoors at Christmas, it will keep until next christmas and the one after that too.

harlzter

Not this Christmas thankfully but by next it will be.The only alcohol we … Not this Christmas thankfully but by next it will be.The only alcohol we drink really is spirits and then only Vodka which must be russian standard (if anyone can find a supermarket one as good as this then I will be amazed)I bought 6 cans of stella last xmas eve because they was 2 x 4 packs with a can missing each and reduced to 88p for 3 cans and found one was just past its date a few weeks ago, so not big beer drinkers here lol

Lol makes sense now

Original Poster

Kitten13

Tesco and asda both do alternatives to Jagermeister, which isn't too bad.

Any names or prices?

FREEZIN WOLF

Original--------------Alternative----------Price--------LocationJack … Original--------------Alternative----------Price--------LocationJack Daniels------------Clarkes Bourbon----£11.49------ALDIBaileys Original--------BallyCastle------------£5.99-------ALDI

Have to disagree when it coms to alcohol , Baileys cannot be skimped on!!

harlzter

With the new minimum prices coming in anyway this will be pointless as it … With the new minimum prices coming in anyway this will be pointless as it will bring the supermarket brands prices to about the current prices for branded alcohols.

When are the new prices due to be put in place? If it is after Christmas then this post still has a purpose as most people want to know where the best places are to buy alternatives to brands at this time of the year.

Will they not use it as an excuse to increase the prices of the branded alcohol though? I can't see a point in selling own-brand versions if the branded equivalent is of a similar price.

Original Poster

moob

Lidl's alternative to Amaretto is v good according to the wife. Their … Lidl's alternative to Amaretto is v good according to the wife. Their take on JD is also very nice, and just over £10.

Any name or price?

munchkins14

When are the new prices due to be put in place? If it is after Christmas … When are the new prices due to be put in place? If it is after Christmas then this post still has a purpose as most people want to know where the best places are to buy alternatives to brands at this time of the year. Will they not use it as an excuse to increase the prices of the branded alcohol though? I can't see a point in selling own-brand versions if the branded equivalent is of a similar price.

That was my first worry, but then you have all the smaller off licenses and corner shops that don't sell "own brands" so I cant really see it happening that way.

At the minute 45p per unit is being suggested bringing a 700ml bottle of spirits at 40% to £12.60.

I get the peach schnapps from home bargains for £4.99 a bottle, which tastes just like archers. And the cactus jacks apple tastes like apple sourz

I like a lot of Aldi's alternatives, the Peach Schnapps is very nice and only £5.29. I don't think it has a very high percentage, but it is very nice on it's own or mixed with other drinks.

Their £5.99 version of Baileys is also one we always have at Christmas, my Dad always buys it and I think it tastes just as nice as the original

I also buy an alternative to Southern Comfort from Lidl's for about £9 or £11 I think. I can't remember the name of it but it is something very similar and has a bottle almost identical to the original. Same percentage as the real thing as well I think. Although it is best to check if there are any offers on at the moment just incase

Edit: They do the Southern Comfort at Aldi too: aldi.co.uk/uk/…htm there is only an Aldi at home and only Lidl at my Uni home so I have to switch between the two
Edited by: "munchkins14" 9th Dec 2012

My wife likes Aldi's £2.99 Chardonnay. She prefers that to most average price brands and it's easily £1-£3 better priced

Dont worry about the min pricing. Scotlands trying it right now but the European court are expected to put a stop to it. Breaches free competition or something?
This will be the only good thing the Euro court has done for us

hooray henry

Dont worry about the min pricing. Scotlands trying it right now but the … Dont worry about the min pricing. Scotlands trying it right now but the European court are expected to put a stop to it. Breaches free competition or something? This will be the only good thing the Euro court has done for us

Fingers crossed.

Tesco value white spirit.

Original Poster

moob

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/SID-C6EFE373-9198ED9A/lidl_uk/hs.xsl/4179_16599.htmhttp://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/SID-ECF8FBEA-5441B332/lidl_uk/hs.xsl/4179_16598.htm

Thanks but links dont work (its regional)

Original Poster

ScrewYou

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/aldi-christmas-spirits-from-3-99-1370988

Good link... Screw You

fattyuk

I havnt tried the aldi version of baileys but I like the Irish meadow … I havnt tried the aldi version of baileys but I like the Irish meadow version you can get from some of the big supermarkets. It's a lot cheaper because it is wine based and not whiskey based but it's quite nice with ice, you just have to bear in mind it is different.Have to disagree when it coms to alcohol , Baileys cannot be skimped on!!

FREEZIN WOLF

Thanks but links dont work (its regional)

You could try looking on the site.

Original Poster

moob

You could try looking on the site.

Thats fine but it kinda defeats what im trying to achieve.

Im looking for personal recommendations on supermarket alternatives, not that they simply exist.. We all know they're out there. Its whether they're any good that counts

any kind of alchol ---------- Windowlean and lemonade----- £2---------- most suppermarkets

Done
Edited by: "miles136" 9th Dec 2012

Original Poster

miles136

any kind of alchol ---------- Windowlean and lemonade----- £2---------- … any kind of alchol ---------- Windowlean and lemonade----- £2---------- most suppermarketsDone

Is that somewhere to do your shopping before bedtime?

fattyuk

Not that bad!???It's RANCID lol

boil it down in a pan. increase the strength at no extra cost
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions