Supermarket Basic Range reviews (Please add you own).

Found 8th Feb 2015
About a year ago a fellow user posted a request on the quality of the basic ranges of supermarket products. Over the years I've tasted, sampled or used a number of their products. Here is some of my experiences. (Will update over time, and please add your reviews or comments).

Sainsbury's Basic Cornflakes 30p (500g)

A very quick history, Kellogg's as part of the Colonic irrigation and cleansing the palette offered his clientele corn flakes as part of the diet. His patients rather enjoyed the experience and the rest is history. Nowadays we serve up this ray of sunshine as a breakfast cereal except with added sugar and fortified with vitamins.

The Sainsbury's basic cornflakes compared to it's more expensive competitor is similar in appearance, although the flakes are slightly smaller, and thinner. The corn flakes when adding the milk rather quickly lose their shape, crunch and consistency but overall taste is acceptable and close approximation to Kellogg's. Strangely though the drenched corn flakes have a rather eggy (sulphuric) aftertaste, whether this is down to the manufacturing process or artificial additives I’m unsure.

Overall 6/10 For the price surprisingly good. Edible but remember don’t use it close to any orifice.

Morrison’s (M Saver) & Sainsbury’s (Basics) Rice Crackles / Pops 89p (500g / 440g). Discontinued?

Word of caution this breakfast cereal was tasted two years ago, after ignoring the stern warning of a fellow HUKD user. To be unbiased, uninitiated I took the challenge and guess what she was right. Appearance wise near identical to Rice Krispies, except slightly whiter. Once you add the milk (hot or cold) the difference is stark, you’ll notice the transformation immediately as the puffed rice congeal and stick together. If you’ve ever eaten Japanese Natto (soy bean) you’ll understand it’s has the slimy and unpleasant appearance and tastes as bad as it looks. Some say it’s like eating frogspawn, well if that’s true I can understand the euphemism.

Overall 1/10. Avoid at all costs unless you’re a sadist masochist, or Japanese as it’s a great substitute to Natto.

Morrison’s M Savers Bran Flakes (750g) 88p

Most people who enjoy eating high fibre, wheat bran cereals understand the nature and reason to eating cardboard for breakfast. Mainly to improve your digestive system, and consequently, regularity of your bowels, and feel less constipated. (Yes it does work in moderation, but best not to eaten on the same day as a Vindaloo / Phaal Curry as the consequences can be quite volcanic in nature the next day. Yes %^*^ did hit the pan).
As an exponent who enjoys eating Bran Flakes I found the overall taste rather favourable, close to the approximation of it’s more expensive brand. It has the bland, gritty, rough, nutty sensation, but having less of a sugary, salty taste I found that it was more palatable than other brands.
Overall 8/10. A great alternative to the more expensive brands. If you don’t like eating cardboard avoid.

Sainsbury’s Basic Barn Eggs (x6) 70p - £1 (price constantly change)

WARNING. This review does contain eggs, so if you’re allergic to eggs or a vegetarian please ignore. These are one of the few basic products that can be highly recommended as an alternative to the more expensive variety that comes out of a hen’s orifice. Sadly the poor defenceless cage hens were harmed in the making of this review, but what the hell I need an egg for my soldiers.

The Basic Range from all the supermarkets are normally the eggs that doesn’t conform to the exact size or requirements laid down by the industry. From experience the carton contains normally the larger sized eggs, so for value are excellent. The other advantage is that the products sell faster than other brands, so replaced more consistently on the shelves, thus fresher with longer best before dates. The only downside is that some supermarkets i.e. Morrisons, the processing factory for their product on occasions fail to clean their eggs properly leaving feather, or undesirables (okay hen $%^*) on the shell.

Overall 10/10. Eggtastic value. Or 0/10 for ethically minded shoppers, vegetarians, or bakers who need the right size, and shape for their recipe.

Sainsbury’s Basic Plain / Self Raising Flour (1.5KG) 55p. Asda (80p)

Cannot fault this product for value. If you simply require plain or self-raising flour for baking cakes, puddings, biscuits or simply as part of the recipe for Pancakes Day (Shroves Tuesday 17th February) then you cannot go wrong. To reduce cost the flour is milled less, so not as fine as other branded flour such as Homepride or McDougalls but results are still favourable.

Overall 10/10. Excellent value, plain and simple.

(Error Review)

Asda smart price unsweetened soya milk 1 litre. 59p

Lovely stuff my favourite of all the basic range soya milks, Morrison's is the worst.

(Error Review)
Asda smart price orange juice or apple juice drink cartons, 3 pack 40p

50% concentrated juice, 50% water and excellent for school, my son prefers them to the Del Monte cartons.

(Error Review)
Asda smart price sardines in tomato, 37p a tin

Acceptable, the fish are very large sometimes theirs only 1 or 2 in the tin, the tomato isn't nice but washed off with some olive oil added the fish is ok tho of course still tainted, better off buying the next level up of Asda sardines for a extra 20p imho.

Sainsbury’s Basic Plain / Self Raising Flour (1.5KG) 55p

Cannot fault this product for value. If you simply require plain or self-raising flour for baking cakes, puddings, biscuits or simply as part of the recipe for Pancakes Day (Shroves Tuesday 17th February) then you cannot go wrong. To reduce cost the flour is milled less, so not as fine as other branded flour but results are still favourable.

Overall 10/10. Excellent value, plain and simple.

Morrison’s Bettabuy (Value) Blended Butter 250g

This value blended spread is probably the worst tasting butter ever. Bland, horrible, rancid and so salty it shouldn’t even be classified as butter. Even I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter tastes more creamier, and authentic than this terrible concoction. Avoid at all costs spend a few pence more and buy the Tesco or Sainsbury’s English Butter (Slightly Salted) 250g £1 which tastes exactly like the more expensive Lurpak and is highly recommended (10/10).

Overall 1/10. Nasty block of salty lard.

Morrison’s / Tesco’s / Sainsbury’s Value medium sliced brown wholemeal loaf 800g 45p

What is immediately apparent is the thinness of the slices. Also when you open the plastic wrapper you are hit by an intoxicating overpowering yeast smell of the sliced bread. Consistency wise I’ve found the value range of wholemeal and white breads have an unusual dry texture. Also their shelf life is poor compared to more expensive varieties of bread lasting a couple of days. For toasting the results are comparable, but for sandwiches the sliced bread especially the white loaves are bland tasting and unappetizing. By spending a few pence more it is possible to buy Morrison’s standard range of Bread for 59p and have a better quality, larger selection (Medium to Extra Thick Cut) to choose from.

Overall 5/10. Edible but bland.

(Error Review)
Asda smart price cooked sliced ham 60p about 10 slices in pack

78% pork with added water and salt, tastes the same as other basic hams from Tesco and Morrison's probably comes from the same EU pigs but is cheaper then other shops, a perfectly fine sandwich filling on a budget, just basic ham.

Tesco Everyday Value Digestive Biscuits (400G) 31p

The Digestive biscuit was developed in the 19th Century to help aid the digestive system. Nowadays the versatility of the Digestive means the biscuit can be used as a basis for a cheesecake and other desserts especially as an accompaniment to Cheese. Although many people take simple pleasure of “dunking” the biscuit in tea or coffee. Of course there are hundreds of varieties and recipes for the traditional digestive biscuit, including the chocolate covered McVities Digestive.

The Tesco Digestive Biscuit is a cheap, affordable alternative biscuit to the McVities version. While noticeably the biscuit is thinner, darker, and grittier in complexion it still has the salty, sweet, malty, and crumbly texture and taste that signifies the digestive. Although it suffers from being drier and less buttery than it’s main rivals.

Overall 7/10. Good acceptable alternative especially for those wanting a low calorie treat.

Tesco Everyday Value Milk Chocolate Digestives 300G 44p

The Tesco Chocolate Digestive biscuit is liberally covered with sweet milk chocolate (about 25%). Eaten normally compares favourably with it’s more expensive counterpart. It is only when the biscuit is dunked it loses some of it’s consistency and taste, including the nutty, saltiness which strangely rounds off the chocolaty flavour of McVities version.
Overall 7.5. Well worth the price if you want the chocolate “biccy”.

Sainsbury's Bourbon Creams, Basics 200g 25p

All the supermarkets have a near identical biscuit with it’s iconic shape that most readily identify it as an Bourbon Cream. The only difference between the more expensive versions is slightly less chocolaty filling, and dryness of the base. Overall the supermarket version stands up surprising well for taste, even when dunking.

Overall 9.5/ 10. A fantastic product and a steal at only 25 pence

Sainsbury's Custard Creams, Basics 200g 20p

While each supermarket have their own versions with a slightly different shape and size, the iconic distinctive diamond marking, colour and custard filling immediately identify the biscuit as a traditional Custard Cream. For a product that costs only twenty pence it doesn’t suffer any real identifiable drawbacks. The biscuit still has a nice crumbly texture, and the vanilla tasting custard filling. Only criticism like the other biscuits in the value range is the less buttery and blander taste.

Overall 9/10. Great dunking or just scoffing a whole pack.

(Error Review)
Asda Smart price Chocolate, milk and dark.

Lovely stuff made in Germany and better then many of the branded ones they sell, I believe it is around 47p for slab thats 150 or 200g I don't have any in at the moment to check.

(Error Review)
Asda smart price crisps, ready salted pack of 12, 60p

Good sized crisps in a good sized bag, slightly over salted for my tastes but good enough.

Condiments

Morrison’s M Saver Tomato Sauce 550g 36p

In the last few years the supermarkets have improved the quality and standard of certain cheap affordable products, this is one of them. Being on a tight budget it is another product I purchase as a good cheap substitute to a more expensive brand. While it doesn’t have the perfect balance of sweetness, and strong tomato taste which makes the Heinz brand the leading seller, for the money it does come close. The M Savers sauce does have a residue of a vinegary, acidic aftertaste and not as overpowering tomato flavour, it does surprisingly works well as a condiment for chips and other food.

Overall 9/10. Great alternative to Heinz Tomato Sauce but at a fraction of the price.

Morrison's Savers / Tesco Every Day Value / Sainsbury’s Basic Ground Black Pepper 25g / 30g 40p

Why bother buying Schwartz or more expensive ground black pepper as simply this does the job perfectly. The product cannot be faulted as the quality is excellent, but the container is only half filled with pepper.

Overall 10/10. Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers; A peck of pickled peppers Peter Piper picked; If Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers, Where's the peck of pickled peppers Peter Piper picked? Well it appears he just went to the supermarket instead.

Alcohol

(Error Review)
Asda smart price lager £1 for 4 cans.

Low alcohol 2.5% I think but surprising drinkable perfect ice cold on hot summer days, if you are one of those people who buys the little cheap low alcohol continental bottled beers, its better then those.

Thank you to everyone who contributes I will add their reviews to this list when chance permits. Although please check out their posts for more details.
Community Updates
MiscAsics
80 Comments
Asda Smart Price baked beans. 10/10/

Much prefer these to the other 2 main protagonists. Plenty of tasty sauce to dip chip butties in. Beans themselves not like bullets. We get these all the time, even when, on the odd occasion they are more expensive than the others.
nemesiz

...WARNING. This review does contain eggs, so if you’re allergic to eggs o … ...WARNING. This review does contain eggs, so if you’re allergic to eggs or a vegetarian please ignore...

Vegan. but not an ovo-vegetarian.

An ovo-vegetarian diet includes eggs, but not dairy products.
A lacto-vegetarian diet includes dairy products, but not eggs.
An ovo-lacto vegetarian diet includes both eggs & dairy products.

A vegan diet excludes all animal products, including eggs, dairy, beeswax & honey. They also possibly don't eat leather, silk, & goose-fat. *

* citation needed
Edited by: "fanpages" 8th Feb 2015
Co-op cheap brand is far better than the loved by us range. Loved by Us will be the end of the co-op.
Morrisons basic mozzarella, 49p and as good as other more expensive brands (and fresher).
Morrisons basic spaghetti 20p. Tesco basic chopped tomatoes and kidney beans.
Great thread idea!
lidl baked beans are ok and good price
plain flour self raising 1.5kgt the own brand cheapest is 45p in almost all the supermarkets not sure the one for 80p is that next up or summit. they are all. good for making samosas and pastry type stuff but for pizza is probably only place u can tell the difference against the really expensive over 1 pound stuff. Also aldi and lidl brand is higher quality has more protein at 10g per 100 rather than asda morrisons Tesco's of 9.5g in it aswell

deeky

Asda Smart Price baked beans. 10/10/Much prefer these to the other 2 main … Asda Smart Price baked beans. 10/10/Much prefer these to the other 2 main protagonists. Plenty of tasty sauce to dip chip butties in. Beans themselves not like bullets. We get these all the time, even when, on the odd occasion they are more expensive than the others.

I agree with this to the extent that they are actually edible, I dont like baked beans due to the horrible sweet tomato rubbish they float about in but asda ones taste more like a tomato sauce, though I'd still rather make my own.

asda smart price chocolate, milk and dark.
Lovely stuff made in Germany and better then many of the branded ones they sell, I believe it is around 47p for slab thats 150 or 200g I don't have any in at the moment to check.

asda smart price unsweetened soya milk 1 litre. 59p
lovely stuff my favourite of all the basic range soya milks, morrisons is the worst.

Asda smart price crisps, ready salted pack of 12, 60p
good sized crisps in a good sized bag, slightly over salted for my tastes but good enough.

Asda smart price orange juice or apple juice drink cartons, 3 pack 40p
50% concentrated juice, 50% water and excellent for school, my son prefers them to the del monte cartons.

Asda smart price sardines in tomato, 37p a tin
acceptable, the fish are very large sometimes theirs only 1 or 2 in the tin, the tomato isn't nice but washed off with some olive oil added the fish is ok tho of course still tainted, better off buying the next level up of asda sardines for a extra 20p imho.

Asda smart price cooked sliced ham 60p about 10 slices in pack
78% pork with added water and salt, tastes the same as other basic hams from tesco and morrisons probably comes from the same EU pigs but is cheaper then other shops, a perfectly fine sandwich filling on a budget, just basic ham.

asda smart price lager £1 for 4 cans.
low alcohol 2.5% I think but surprising drinkable perfect ice cold on hot summer days, if you are one of those people who buys the little cheap low alcohol continental bottled beers, its better then those.

And now I will point out items that are worth paying extra for and should never be bought from a basics range.

1 kitchen roll, basic kitchen roll disintegrates with the slightest bit of damp, is ultra thin and ultra weak, you'd be getting through a roll every other day, best to buy Bounty or thirst pockets, they are both very strong and absorbent, a roll will last a week.

2 washing up liquid, basic washing up liquid is watery weak rubbish meaning you need to use 2 to 3 times as much to clean and more elbow grease, a average bottle of basic washing up liquid lasts me a week, a bottle of fairy can be bought for £1 and lasts over a month.

3 toilet paper, less on the rolls, weak, thin and disintegrates, also relatively not that much cheaper then the branded makes, best to stick to andrex, cushell and velvet.

nemesiz

Sainsbury’s Basic Barn Eggs (x6) 70p - £1 (price constantly ch … Sainsbury’s Basic Barn Eggs (x6) 70p - £1 (price constantly change)WARNING. This review does contain eggs, so if you’re allergic to eggs or a vegetarian please ignore. These are one of the few basic products that can be highly recommended as an alternative to the more expensive variety that comes out of a hen’s orifice. Sadly the poor defenceless cage hens were harmed in the making of this review, but what the hell I need an egg for my soldiers. The Basic Range from all the supermarkets are normally the eggs that doesn’t conform to the exact size or requirements laid down by the industry. From experience the carton contains normally the larger sized eggs, so for value are excellent. The other advantage is that the products sell faster than other brands, so replaced more consistently on the shelves, thus fresher with longer best before dates. The only downside is that some supermarkets i.e. Morrisons, the processing factory for their product on occasions fail to clean their eggs properly leaving feather, or undesirables (okay hen $%^*) on the shell.

no eggs get cleaned its against EU rules, if some are cleaner then others its based on the conditions at the farm.
Banned
I have yet to find any cod fish fingers that taste better than birds eye.
Anyone know of any?
Villa

I have yet to find any cod fish fingers that taste better than birds … I have yet to find any cod fish fingers that taste better than birds eye.Anyone know of any?

I have not tried birdseye I eat the asda own brand ones as they are the only ones ive found that are European rather then American cod
Error440

...best to stick to andrex, cushell and velvet.

Too much information.
I prefer Sainsbury's honey nut cornflakes compared to Kellogg's, much tastier and will always buy this even if Kellogg's is on offer, 9/10 for Sainsbury's brand.
Error440

I have not tried birdseye I eat the asda own brand ones as they are the … I have not tried birdseye I eat the asda own brand ones as they are the only ones ive found that are European rather then American cod

What about the ones that are caught mid atlantic?

(_;)
Error440

no eggs get cleaned its against EU rules, if some are cleaner then others … no eggs get cleaned its against EU rules, if some are cleaner then others its based on the conditions at the farm.

and the hens themselves too, when we had hens as pets some came out clean some came out a bit dirty, some laid their eggs in a clean nesting box and others in the hedge bottom.

The reason for not cleaning is simple, egg shells are porous but when a hen lays her egg they coat it with a kind of lubrication that also seals the eggs and makes them non-porous and prevents air from penetrating them and sending them off quicker, in the days eggs was washed before being retailed they was coated with mineral oil to seal them. Around half our eggs would not have conformed to standards as they was bigger than the largest class of eggs sold in supermarkets, damn I miss my chooks and fresh daily eggs.
Error440

I have not tried birdseye I eat the asda own brand ones as they are the … I have not tried birdseye I eat the asda own brand ones as they are the only ones ive found that are European rather then American cod

Inactive

Should we be eating cod caught in US waters so that the European supply is not exhausted, then we can charge a premium in the future?

...or should we be supporting capturing & killing local fish?

It is so confusing.

PS. [ birdseye.co.uk/ran…ers ]

Ingredient Declaration
---
Cod Fillet (Fish) (58%)
Breadcrumb (Wheat Flour, Water, Salt, Yeast, Paprika, Turmeric)
Rapeseed Oil
Wheat Flour
Water
Salt
Potato Starch

Allergen information:
For allergens see ingredients in bold
---

Yum! They sound, erm, delicious!
Asda basic sponge mix is good too, we keep some in for emergency sponge puddings just ad an egg and water, get a Pyrex dish put your topping/filling (jam, golden syrup, maple syrup etc) in the bottom poor cake batter in and cover with cling film stab a hole in it and microwave for 7 minutes, quick easy and delicious winter warmer pudding in minutes. It comes our really light and fluffy
Edited by: "harlzter" 8th Feb 2015
Inactive

What about the ones that are caught mid atlantic?(_;)

Gadus morhua and gadus morhua morhua are very different fish, different coloured flesh, different taste, morhua morhua is off white more grey colour, watery and has less flavour. Most things use American Cod (gadus morhua morhua) because its cheaper.

also morhua morhua is how its discribed on ingredients for some reason thats not actually the latin name for that one, I think they aretrying to confuse people, thats if they bother telling you what type at all, but the fishery info will answer the question.
Edited by: "Segata-Sanshiro" 8th Feb 2015
Error440

Gadus morhua and gadus morhua morhua are very different fish, different … Gadus morhua and gadus morhua morhua are very different fish, different coloured flesh, different taste, morhua morhua is off white more grey colour, watery and has less flavour. Most things use American Cod (gadus morhua morhua) because its cheaper.

So much information, for so little cod.

Why not just buy normal cod, instead of buying processed carp.?
harlzter

and the hens themselves too, when we had hens as pets some came out clean … and the hens themselves too, when we had hens as pets some came out clean some came out a bit dirty, some laid their eggs in a clean nesting box and others in the hedge bottom.The reason for not cleaning is simple, egg shells are porous but when a hen lays her egg they coat it with a kind of lubrication that also seals the eggs and makes them non-porous and prevents air from penetrating them and sending them off quicker, in the days eggs was washed before being retailed they was coated with mineral oil to seal them. Around half our eggs would not have conformed to standards as they was bigger than the largest class of eggs sold in supermarkets, damn I miss my chooks and fresh daily eggs.

I think the EU law is to help with farming conditions isn't it? No one is going to buy filthy eggs so the fact they are not allowed to clean them as they do in America encourages them to keep the poultry farm cleaner and maintain good equipment, I've seen farms on the TV where they are encouraged to lay in little box tray things that automatically drop the egg down to a conveyor belt so the only mess on them would be from bums
Error440

Inactive

It will make little difference, just as farmed fish is worse then eating wild due to the trawling for the fish to feed the farmed fish with and the carcinogenic preservative added.
Error440

It will make little difference, just as farmed fish is worse then eating … It will make little difference, just as farmed fish is worse then eating wild due to the trawling for the fish to feed the farmed fish with and the carcinogenic preservative added.

It will make little difference, but is worse.

OK. That's clear.
fanpages

It will make little difference, but is worse.OK. That's clear.

It would be clear if you learned how to read
Error440

It would be clear if you learned how to read

Yes, I do struggle with that, especially with your comments.
fanpages

Yes, I do struggle with that, especially with your comments.

Maybe you should stop reading thrm then
Error440

Maybe you should stop reading thrm then

I would if you stopped typing it.
Original Poster
Biscuits next...

Tesco Everyday Value Digestive Biscuits (400G) 31p

The Digestive biscuit was developed in the 19th Century to help aid the digestive system. Nowadays the versatility of the Digestive means the biscuit can be used as a basis for a cheesecake and other desserts especially as an accompaniment to Cheese. Although many people take simple pleasure of “dunking” the biscuit in tea or coffee. Of course there are hundreds of varieties and recipes for the traditional digestive biscuit, including the chocolate covered McVities Digestive.

The Tesco Digestive Biscuit is a cheap, affordable alternative biscuit to the McVities version. While noticeably the biscuit is thinner, darker, and grittier in complexion it still has the salty, sweet, malty, and crumbly texture and taste that signifies the digestive. Although it suffers from being drier and less buttery than it’s main rivals.
Overall 7/10. Good acceptable alternative especially for those wanting a low calorie treat.

Tesco Everyday Value Milk Chocolate Digestives 300G 44p

The Tesco Chocolate Digestive biscuit is liberally covered with sweet milk chocolate (about 25%). Eaten normally compares favourably with it’s more expensive counterpart. It is only when the biscuit is dunked it loses some of it’s consistency and taste, including the nutty, saltiness which strangely rounds off the chocolaty flavour of McVities version.

Overall 7.5. Well worth the price if you want the chocolate “biccy”.

Sainsbury's Bourbon Creams, Basics 200g 25p

All the supermarkets have a near identical biscuit with it’s iconic shape that most readily identify it as an Bourbon Cream. The only difference between the more expensive versions is slightly less chocolaty filling, and dryness of the base. Overall the supermarket version stands up surprising well for taste, even when dunking.

Overall 9.5/ 10. A fantastic product and a steal at only 25 pence

Sainsbury's Custard Creams, Basics 200g 20p

While each supermarket have their own versions with a slightly different shape and size, the iconic distinctive diamond marking, colour and custard filling immediately identify the biscuit as a traditional Custard Cream. For a product that costs only twenty pence it doesn’t suffer any real identifiable drawbacks. The biscuit still has a nice crumbly texture, and the vanilla tasting custard filling. Only criticism like the other biscuits in the value range is the less buttery and blander taste.

Overall 9/10. Great dunking or just scoffing a whole pack.
fanpages

I would if you stopped typing it.

Wel im not gonna
'Eat well for less' on BBC1 right now is covering this topic and may be of interest to you all.
Banned
Inactive

So much information, for so little cod.Why not just buy normal cod, … So much information, for so little cod.Why not just buy normal cod, instead of buying processed carp.?

I'n not sure it would be practical to make fish fingers yourself.
davewave

'Eat well for less' on BBC1 right now is covering this topic and may be … 'Eat well for less' on BBC1 right now is covering this topic and may be of interest to you all.

Is it the one with the family who spend about £18k a year and the wife comes across as stuck up?
davewave

'Eat well for less' on BBC1 right now is covering this topic and may be … 'Eat well for less' on BBC1 right now is covering this topic and may be of interest to you all.

They eat 3 frozen pizzas a week wow thats a lot would have thought they'd be sick of er m
Sainsbury's cooking bacon, it's so stupidly cheap. Half the time it has proper rashers in it, half the time it has enormous bacon steaks. The left over little random bits I make into lardons. Love it. I'd give it an 8/10.

Sainsbury's wrapping foil, one of the longest rolls for the money I have found. Decently thick, haven't had any tear accidents. 8/10

Don't know if they count because they aren't technically basics, but I love Aldi Crisp Rice better than Rice Krispies. They fake Cheerios are quite good too, but it's been so long since I had real ones I don't know how they compare. 10/10

Cheaper the fish finger the better. I don't buy a fish finger to eat a cod steak, I buy them because I want some delicious fried junk. If I wanted a cod steak, I would buy a cod streak. Iceland cheapos are my current favorite. 8/10

Waitrose Essentials reduced sugar marmalade. Would rather it was thick cut. But despite it's reduced sugar title, it is the cheapest marmalade I've found that only has real sugar in it, rather than glucose fructose rubbish. I give it 6/10, because it's very good value, but could taste better.

Sainsbos Basics bog roll - an acquired taste. I've got used to it's thinnest and like that I can reel of as much as I want without feeling guilty. It's very smooth, which I like. Thicker bog rolls.. errr yeah that's probably TMI. Used to like Cushelle, seems horribly fluffy now. Who wants fluff in there...? Once you get used to it, it's fine anyway. 7/10.
moneysavingkitten

Sainsbos Basics bog roll - an acquired taste. I've got used to it's … Sainsbos Basics bog roll - an acquired taste. I've got used to it's thinnest and like that I can reel of as much as I want without feeling guilty. It's very smooth, which I like. Thicker bog rolls.. errr yeah that's probably TMI. Used to like Cushelle, seems horribly fluffy now. Who wants fluff in there...? Once you get used to it, it's fine anyway. 7/10.

I will not be able to see "Sainsbury's" now without thinking of "Sainsbogs"
moneysavingkitten

Sainsbury's cooking bacon, it's so stupidly cheap. Half the time it has … Sainsbury's cooking bacon, it's so stupidly cheap. Half the time it has proper rashers in it, half the time it has enormous bacon steaks. The left over little random bits I make into lardons. Love it. I'd give it an 8/10.Sainsbury's wrapping foil, one of the longest rolls for the money I have found. Decently thick, haven't had any tear accidents. 8/10Don't know if they count because they aren't technically basics, but I love Aldi Crisp Rice better than Rice Krispies. They fake Cheerios are quite good too, but it's been so long since I had real ones I don't know how they compare. 10/10Cheaper the fish finger the better. I don't buy a fish finger to eat a cod steak, I buy them because I want some delicious fried junk. If I wanted a cod steak, I would buy a cod streak. Iceland cheapos are my current favorite. 8/10Waitrose Essentials reduced sugar marmalade. Would rather it was thick cut. But despite it's reduced sugar title, it is the cheapest marmalade I've found that only has real sugar in it, rather than glucose fructose rubbish. I give it 6/10, because it's very good value, but could taste better.Sainsbos Basics bog roll - an acquired taste. I've got used to it's thinnest and like that I can reel of as much as I want without feeling guilty. It's very smooth, which I like. Thicker bog rolls.. errr yeah that's probably TMI. Used to like Cushelle, seems horribly fluffy now. Who wants fluff in there...? Once you get used to it, it's fine anyway. 7/10.

In there? What are you doing with those rolls?
Villa

I have yet to find any cod fish fingers that taste better than birds … I have yet to find any cod fish fingers that taste better than birds eye.Anyone know of any?

you need to try bird`s eye haddock fish fingers....cod one`s bland in comparison!
Villa

whingygit

you need to try bird`s eye haddock fish fingers....cod one`s bland in … you need to try bird`s eye haddock fish fingers....cod one`s bland in comparison!

Not when it is running naked.

moneysavingkitten

...If I wanted a cod steak, I would buy a cod streak. Iceland cheapos are … ...If I wanted a cod steak, I would buy a cod streak. Iceland cheapos are my current favorite. 8/10

"I took the liberty of arranging 'helmet' & 'cod piece' into a criminal sentence for you, sir"

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080829125817/uncyclopedia/images/7/71/Streaker.jpg
whingygit

you need to try bird`s eye haddock fish fingers....cod one`s bland in … you need to try bird`s eye haddock fish fingers....cod one`s bland in comparison!

Yup, the haddock ones are better...... and yup again, they do have to be Birds Eye.

In keeping with the thread topic, my dog goes mental for Asda Smartprice tinned spaghetti Bolognese......... wouldn't eat it myself, it looks gross.
Biker Jeff

In keeping with the thread topic, my dog goes mental for Asda Smartprice … In keeping with the thread topic, my dog goes mental for Asda Smartprice tinned spaghetti Bolognese......... wouldn't eat it myself, it looks gross.

If you do try it, make sure you remove the collar first.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants